PDA

View Full Version : Leaking forward hatch

captcrunch
05-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi all, thE hatch in the master stateroom on my 1988. 38c seeks to have a mystery leak I can't recreate. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for in order to fix

jim rosenthal
05-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Photos would be helpful. Is this a one-piece molded fiberglass hatch, or is it one that was made by another company, like Bomar, and then fitted to the boat?

I looked on the model brochure illustration and it looks like a manufactured hatch- you might ask Sam's who made it. Usually they leak either at the seal between the hatch frame and the moving cover, or between the glass/plexiglass and the metal frame of the cover. New gaskets are sometimes available from the company that built it. The glass/plexiglass may need to be re-bedded also.

bobk
05-23-2016, 06:48 AM
What have you done to try to re-create the leak? Will it leak now when you spray water on it? Where did it enter the boat. Are you sure it was dogged down correctly?

As Jim said, pictures might help.

Bobk

captcrunch
05-23-2016, 10:51 AM
It is bomar aluminum frame hatch, I've tried running a hose over it from different angles, and no leak seems to have leaked after the last heavy rain again.

bobk
05-23-2016, 04:23 PM
It is bomar aluminum frame hatch, I've tried running a hose over it from different angles, and no leak seems to have leaked after the last heavy rain again.

I don't understand. Has the leak self corrected?

Bobk

captcrunch
05-23-2016, 07:15 PM
My mistake no leaks until the last heavy rain

magnawake
05-23-2016, 07:33 PM
The leak is never coming from where you think. Prolly coming from the swim plaform, running uphill. Nah maybe the pulpit and it takes a while to travel aft. Try spraying the pulpit and windlass or the windows.

oscarvan
05-23-2016, 08:24 PM
The leak is never coming from where you think. Prolly coming from the swim plaform, running uphill. Nah maybe the pulpit and it takes a while to travel aft. Try spraying the pulpit and windlass or the windows.

Being sarcastic.... but closer to the truth than one would want.

Leaks are a beatch.

captcrunch
05-24-2016, 01:45 AM
The mattress was wet right under the hatch So it seems likely

magnawake
05-24-2016, 08:37 AM
The mattress was wet right under the hatch So it seems likely

So you havent really seen it leak? Hmm. The plot thickens.....I had some condensation form on a few occasions and got the bed spread wet. We should be past those cold days though. Try to catch it actually leaking. Somethings funny here. Not really.

SEVEN
05-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Maybe one of the kids had an accident and didn't want to tell you. LOL. Kidding aside cover the mattress with a sheet of plastic (cheap drop cloth) and turn the water on full blast with a nozzle. Hit every area around the hatch while someone is inside looking for the entry point. Do you have any soft spots around the hatch?

captcrunch
05-25-2016, 10:02 AM
no soft spots and cant recreate the leak with a hose. really frustrating

SEVEN
05-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Hit the opening where the anchor chain goes in. It might trickle down from there.

bobk
05-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Stick some TP around the inside when you do it. It might help reveal the entry point. But sometimes a bit of debris on the seal or if the hatch didn't lower straight, it can develop a leak. Was the stain brown like rot from a core?

Bobk

oscarvan
05-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Was the stain brown like rot from a core?

Bobk

Yeah, that could indicate several kinds of leaks.

captcrunch
05-25-2016, 07:31 PM
No brown stain just water

magnawake
05-25-2016, 07:42 PM
I still say its coming from somewhere else. The pulpit and windows would drain to the side it would seem. What a pain.

oscarvan
05-26-2016, 05:13 AM
No brown stain just water

Well, that's a relief.