PDA

View Full Version : The Search for a 53 is over! (I hope)

mikep996
07-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Found the right 53MY...I'll be making an offer later this week. I want to publicly thank Jim Rosenthal for all his help - he did a very thorough "preliminary" look at the boat for me. I've had surveys that were less thorough than his observations.

Based on his input, my wife and I flew down and found it to be just what we were looking for...well, mostly. It has twin beds in the master; we wanted a queen. It doesn't have stabilizers but nothing does in the price range we are considering. However, it does have many good points that we are very pleased with - including just-overhauled engines, fresh paint, new galley, new generator, and other worthwhile upgrades and modifications. The electronics, as the broker stated, "wouldn't bring $300 at a garage sale," but I'd planned to replace all that anyway.

So, once we agree on a price, I'll be setting up the survey plus a separate engine survey. I had originally planned to do the engine survey myself but I realized that I wouldn't be very objective and having the document from an "uninterested" person would be more valuable in negotiating any proposed price adjustments.

With luck, the boat will be residing in my slip - er, I mean the Admiral's slip - here in Northport, Long Island, by the end of August!

Pascal, I may be asking for lots of pointers from you as a fairly recent 53 buyer!

And again, lots of thanks to Jim!!

We're excited!!!!! :D

MarioG
07-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Hello mike
early congrats on the find. I hope all turns out well. My wife and I are looking for a 58' yf, very similar boat.

again, congratulations and good luck...

Mario Gonzalez

PascalG
07-20-2004, 10:01 AM
good luck... hope the negotiation process goes smoothly!

what year is it? sounds good.... engines/paint/genset/galley are really the big items... electronics, queen, etc... are cheap....

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53MY

mikep996
07-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Pascal,

It's a 1973 w/8V71TAs. The galley was also just redone. It has new side-by refridge that's bigger than the original Hatt fridge. I have absolutely NO idea how the heck they got it in there! All other appliances are new as well.

The most important item to me was that the engine rooms are very clean and tidy. We looked at another 53 the same day that in several ways looked a bit better until I stepped into the engine room. The engine room decking was broken right were you would normally step. It appeared it had been broken for quite a while. The room looked as if no one had been in there in a long time and there was a lot of oil rolling around in the bilges.

The odd part is that the bad-engine-room boat is in almost daily use while the other hasn't been used since being winterized last season. I would expect the boat in use to be the one with the clean and tidy engine room. Well, it would be on MY boat, anyway.

jim rosenthal
07-20-2004, 06:21 PM
I had a good time doing this, and Mike and Loretta were kind enough to take me to dinner...shopping for a boat beats just about anything except boating, and maybe shopping for motorcycles :) Good luck Mike and hope this is the one.

dshuman
07-22-2004, 01:57 AM
Mike,

I also bought a 53MY ('78) less than a year ago, and cruised it home 1,200 miles. If I can help, just put questions in here or e-mail to shumans@mindspring.com. Put "Hatteras" in the subject line so I'll know it's not spam. It's a great boat, we love ours.

Doug