PDA

View Full Version : 41 tcmy was once a sportfisher? plus repower with 440 hp

cptbob
03-17-2004, 02:13 PM
While sanding and preping to refinish I found the outline of the sportfisher cabin top on top of the salon roof ..
anybody know whats up with that?
Incidently i am repowering with a couple of 440 hp yanmars, anybody been there any suggestions? looks pretty straight forward.
bob

pirate1960
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
The hull is the same. Probably the single strongest hull ever built. Make yourself replace a thru hull and you will see what I am talking about. Depending upon the age of your vessel, Willis Slane probably supervised the manufacture of this hull. Legend is he was a nut case about the thickness since they really didn't know how strong they were building these hulls, so he just kept them pilling the fiberglass on. If you are lucky enough to own one of these early hulls, you can't hurt them (unless you run into a concrete wall) but even that can and has been repaired before. I don't remember ever seeing blistering or delams on these hull except for one hull that someone abused the gelcoat and caused minor delam problems. Sold my 66 41'TC and bought a 58 MY.

Keep the 41

The Pirate

jim rosenthal
03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
More likely the roof of the cabin was extended....the underwater hull may be the same but a DC yacht has much higher hull sides in the aft sections than a SF design does...I wouldn't think one could be made into the other.
The early hulls were VERY well built, a 41SF from the first generation of Hatteras yachts is probably nearly two inches thick on the bottom. Not fast, but sturdy.

SKAMMTOO
03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
My 1967 41TC originally had the short hardtop that was extended to make a fully enclosed aft deck.

This was easily one of the best sea boats I ever ran...slow but would go through anything.

I sold it for a 1965 50' MY ten years ago.

Good luck!

K8)

NANPO 41
03-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Captbob, Am presently restoring a 1966 41' TC (hull#10). The hull is definitely bulletproof I ran the boat from L.I. New York to Boston last Fall in 6'+ seas and she didn't care even a little bit. Best sea boat in this size I've ever been on. Let me know how your project progresses. Maybe we can swap ideas and sources. Fred pennbilt@rcn.com

Pirate 1960
03-19-2004, 02:28 AM
I had hull number 33. I am told now that there was only one mold. The rear sides can either be cut or not fiberglassed all the way up for the convertibles.

Kind of what they did with the 53 and 58 and I guess all of the 15/10 boats.

A true tank among the finest fiberglass boats EVER built.

I had 8v53s and the boat WOT would do about 20.5 on GPS. Not bad for a 1966 boat.

My 58 MY does about 15 with a trailing wind going downhill....

DO not ever sell your boat

THE PIRATE

ELECTRA VI
03-19-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a 1966 34 C which I just repowered with Yanmars last year. I put in the 260s and WOT make 22-23 knots. Cruise at about 16-17 at 28-2900.

cptbob
03-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the note, i am completely refitting this boat, i will have so much into it i will never be able to sell it. currently i am building fiberglas steps in to the stern, you will be able to walk down to the swim board.
I will be out of country in israel for about a month but will return in late april..i have a guy working full time on the boat to make it like new inside and out.
bob

BMartin
07-25-2004, 10:57 PM
i am thinking of repowering my 1966 41 tcmy. currently have perfect boat but 653's running hot and dirty with 14 knots fast cruise speed. want more speed, better fuel economy, much lower noise levels, and clean engine room. any suggestions from your experience??