PDA

View Full Version : aformosia

wshelton
07-21-2004, 12:36 PM
It is my understanding the late model 70's and 80 Hatts used aformosia, a venerred paneling on the inside. My boat and 80 model has this which is in good shape, dark in color and original I believe. My cleaning lady uses Old English furniture polish on this wood on occassion which gives the wood a nice sheen but only lasts for a few weeks before the dull color comes back. I have used tung oil on teak before, but reluctant to use this as that is more of a wood sealer. I want a clean wood appearence, original dark color and with a slight sheen---what is the easiest way to do this?

Hatt36
07-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I used a mixture of tung oil and turpintine on my afromosia. I leaves a satin finish with a slight sheen.

Richard

ttom02
07-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Try WATCO. That is the oil that Hatteras used at the factory. You can still find it at Lowes etc. If you have some spots that the sun has bleached out, you can mix a small amount of "red oak" stain with the WATCO oil and it will bring the darker color back. This is assuming no one has ever used tung oil or varnish on the surface.

Waveaway
07-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I will echo the last response. I used Watco from Lowes on most of my paneling and it still looks great (6 months ago). On the spots that were weathered/discolored under some windows, I mixed red oak stain (recommended earlier on this board) with Watco and it matched perfectly. Likewise, when I replaced some of the floor molding with mahogany 1/4 round, I used the same formula and again, perfect match. Good luck.
George

jim rosenthal
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I would like to do this and have a question....if I have been using lemon oil or beeswax polish on the interior woodwork, do I need to strip it or remove that in order to use Watco oil? Like in a lot of these boats, the woodwork in mine is lighter in the areas where the sun was able to shine on it. I would like the original dark look throughout.

Waveaway
07-23-2004, 08:02 PM
I tried two different approaches to clean my woodwork prior to re-oiling. I used acetone on a spot of badly bleached wood and Murphy's on another like spot. Likewise, I tried the same approach on the non-faded paneling. Both approaches seemed to remove the necessary oils for the re-oiling to take. Obviously, the Murphy's is friendlier to work with and that is what I used on the entire boat. Previously I believe normal wood polish was used (not sure). Bees wax might be a bit harder to get off with Murphy's but there are other citrus strippers that should work without harming the wood and much friendlier than acetone.

ttom02
07-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Try white vinegar and water mixed about 50/50. Apply with a sponge and wipe it off. This will remove any build up of old oils and waxes from your paneling.
Tom