PDA

View Full Version : Cost to overhaul 1988 vintage Detroit 8V92TI, 720 HP ?

Milacron
04-13-2015, 10:11 AM
If the area of the country where it is done matters, assume Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA.

Nothing seriously wrong with the engines at the moment, but hours are near 5,000 each so I figure at some point soon they might need overhaul. In a Hatteras with the usual split engine rooms, if that matters.

Also, just for curiosity, is 720 hp near the top capability of an 8V92TI or were some built even higher HP ?

saltshaker
04-13-2015, 10:26 AM
If the area of the country where it is done matters, assume Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA.

Nothing seriously wrong with the engines at the moment, but hours are near 5,000 each so I figure at some point soon they might need overhaul. In a Hatteras with the usual split engine rooms, if that matters.

Also, just for curiosity, is 720 hp near the top capability of an 8V92TI or were some built even higher HP ?
That's a lot of hours for a 720HP 8V92. Most likely they've been done before or they've been run slow and very well cared for if they are in good shape now. Cost can vary greatly depending on the boat and location. Detroit shops are getting as much as 4K-4.5K per hole for a complete overhaul, providing cores are good. A bad block or crank will increase that number significantly.

Milacron
04-13-2015, 10:48 AM
That's a lot of hours for a 720HP 8V92. Most likely they've been done before or they've been run slow and very well cared for if they are in good shape now. Cost can vary greatly depending on the boat and location. Detroit shops are getting as much as 4K-4.5K per hole for a complete overhaul, providing cores are good. A bad block or crank will increase that number significantly. Assuming no block damage, can complete overhaul be done without removing the engines ? Re "most likely done before"... that is in fact what the owner claims, and they look amazingly clean on the outside....but they have absolute zero proof of previous overhaul (I never cease to be amazed at how often that is the case*) and only a vague notion of when the mysterious overhauls were done (naturally by owner previous to them).

Re 4K-4.5K per hole... makes sense based on rebuild paperwork I had on ill fated Viking 55 contract, where owner paid about $32,000 per 8V92TI engine in 2008.

FWIW, I taked with a 1990 Viking 63 MY owner a while back who claimed it cost no more to overhaul a 12V71TI than an 8V92TI !! The paperwork I have on another boat, where the owner spent $63,000 on overhauling one 12V71TI would indicate otherwise ! :eek:

================

*Not to mention the fact that it would be astoundingly slack not to change out the hour meters for zero reset if there actually was a complete overhaul at some point.

Boatsb
04-13-2015, 10:51 AM
tIM pOWELL just did this . He probably has the most current numbers.

Remember the condition of the engines is not easy to ascertain by reading an hour meter.

Milacron
04-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Remember the condition of the engines is not easy to ascertain by reading an hour meter.It's not only not easy, it's impossible. I ran across one boat, another Viking 63 MY, where the 12V71TI's were overhauled at only 1,300 hours !! In that case, one engine done by one guy...the other done by another.

Owner did have receipts on the port engine...but the mechanic has apparently gone out of business and does not return my phone calls. The starboard engine guy he only had cancelled checks...no receipts. But found out the mechanic died in a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago !!

It boggles my mind the money some owners spend on engine work and then have no record of it. Which, most of the time is probably because they are either exaggerating or flat out lying about the work being done, but in this case I'm 99 percent sure the work was done but still need to know the mechanic's reputation for competentcy.

saltshaker
04-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Assuming no block damage, can complete overhaul be done without removing the engines ? Re "most likely done before"... that is in fact what the owner claims, and they look amazingly clean on the outside....but they have absolute zero proof of previous overhaul (I never cease to be amazed at how often that is the case*) and only a vague notion of when the mysterious overhauls were done (naturally by owner previous to them).

Re 4K-4.5K per hole... makes sense based on rebuild paperwork I had on ill fated Viking 55 contract, where owner paid about $32,000 per 8V92TI engine in 2008.

FWIW, I taked with a 1990 Viking 63 MY owner a while back who claimed it cost no more to overhaul a 12V71TI than an 8V92TI !! The paperwork I have on another boat, where the owner spent $63,000 on overhauling one 12V71TI would indicate otherwise ! :eek:

================

*Not to mention the fact that it would be astoundingly slack not to change out the hour meters for zero reset if there actually was a complete overhaul at some point.
Usually yes but it all depends on the boat and ER and machinery accessibility. As mentioned Tim just did a pair in his 52C for around 60K? but that's in a SF with reasonably good access. Plus his engines weren't that bad to begin with and had recent top end work done. Tim could shed more light on this.

dsharp
04-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Prices are all over the place because rebuilding an engine means different things to different people. Due to the seasonal nature of the business some yards have gone to the sub-contractor model and some farm out the work altogether. It depends if you re-use to turbochargers, raw water pumps, heat exchangers , etc. Unless it was rebuilt by a major dealer and had a warranty you shouldn't add much value to the boat. Are you trying to adjust values or trying to figure out how much to set back if one goes to hell.

Tim Powell
04-13-2015, 08:13 PM
tIM pOWELL just did this . He probably has the most current numbers.

Remember the condition of the engines is not easy to ascertain by reading an hour meter.

Scott
My numbers are not really fair i did every thing Heads Injectors, blue hoses, raw water pump and fresh water pump all four turbos were sent off of the four one needed some work.
here is the number i wrote the check for. $ 56,731.00 that represented 16 holes. That means about 3500 per hole. I just looked it up to be sure. I got a written warranty for 12 months. Parts and labor. Not to exceed 300 hours.

THATS THE BOTTOM LINE NO MORE GUESS WORK

saltshaker
04-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Scott
My numbers are not really fair i did every thing Heads Injectors, blue hoses, raw water pump and fresh water pump all four turbos were sent off of the four one needed some work.
here is the number i wrote the check for. $ 56,731.00 that represented 8 holes. That means about 7000 per hole. I just looked it up to be sure. I got a written warranty for 12 months. Parts and labor. Not to exceed 300 hours.

THATS THE BOTTOM LINE NO MORE GUESS WORK
That's what a proper overhaul should entail. Everything should be looked at and most replaced. Didn't you do both engines? That would put your cost at 3.5K per hole which is pretty good from a Detroit shop. That number can easily go up another 10-20% in a MY with poor access.

Tim Powell
04-13-2015, 08:27 PM
That's what a proper overhaul should entail. Everything should be looked at and most replaced. Didn't you do both engines? That would put your cost at 3.5K per hole which is pretty good from a Detroit shop. That number can easily go up another 10-20% in a MY with poor access.

Jack
It is 16 holes i redid the post. During the rebuild we backed the transmission back and replaced the rear seal on both engines the port was suspecious of leaking in the gear. NOT NOW CLEAR OIL IN BOTH TRANSMISSIONS!!!! THAT WAS EXTRA

Milacron
04-14-2015, 08:32 AM
Scott
here is the number i wrote the check for. $ 56,731.00 that represented 16 holes. That means about 3500 per hole. I just looked it up to be sure. I got a written warranty for 12 months. Parts and labor. Not to exceed 300 hours.

Thanks, very interesting. Did they (or "him") give you an estimate beforehand and was the final bill pretty close to that figure ?

Tim Powell
04-14-2015, 04:25 PM
thanks, very interesting. Did they (or "him") give you an estimate beforehand and was the final bill pretty close to that figure ?

they gave me a not to excede price. But only included bolt on parts in other words block not icncluded