PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab Bleeding

dolfuns2
07-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I recently had my port trim tab lock in the down position, (trim tab fully extended). Since the tab is spring loaded to the "up" position, am convinced I have an air lock, and bleeding the system should correct my problem. Any advice on how to bleed the system? Cheers, Billy

Genesis
07-26-2004, 05:36 PM
If you run the pump in the "up" direction, it should retract. Tabs self-bleed in normal operation.

If it doesn't, you may have a broken spring in the actuator......

hipirihop
07-26-2004, 08:49 PM
In the owners manual, it says that you dont have to bleed them, just run the pump motor up and then down for 15 seconds.

dolfuns2
07-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Well, here's the part of the story I forgot to add, but may shed some light. First, I couldn't get the motor to move it in the up position at all. I could see a voltage drop on the meter, but no movement. Additionally, when I jumped in the water and tried to push it up, it was frozen down hard, I couldn't budge it, hence making me feel I had an air lock (therefor needing bled). My fluid level is fine, so that's not an issue either. Will get a freind out this weekend and try to troubleshoot some more. Cheers

jim rosenthal
07-28-2004, 01:32 AM
If these are Boat Leveler tabs, I think the motion downward is active (done by hydraulic pressure) but the retraction is passive (done by springs or the pressure of the passage of water). It sounds like the cylinder may be stuck. If you call Boat Leveler in St Louis, MO, they will help you. Ask for Don; he's the owner and engineer.

Mike36c
07-28-2004, 10:03 AM
I had this same problem with my port tab when I bought my boat. If you have the boat leveler system the tabs are spring loaded up however the solenoid valve for the affected side is not working properly which would allow the fluid to return to the reservior. The valve activates for both the up and down function and the pump pushes or pulls the fluid depending on switch position. Does the other tab work properly? If so the pump is working properly. Can you get the stuck tab to go down? If so the solenoid is working properly and its a wiring or switch issue. Boat leveler uses an electrical plug on the side of the pump for ease of installation which corrodes and they also use more connectors within the pump housing (more potential problems).
After puchasing a new actuator and pump (tab still wouldn't function) it turned out to be the electrical plug on the side of the unit( The bright side I have a spare pump now). If it turns out to be a solenoid they can be purchased from the factory but they tried to charge me list price so shop around. Hope this helps. Mike