PDA

View Full Version : Gen-set

GCombos
07-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I've decided to replace the generator in my 36... probably go with a 6 - 7kw unit.
For, my due diligence, I was hoping for any suggestions /recommendation's or which brands best to avoid. I've heard good things about Northern Lights and seen a very reliable 8 year old Westerbeke I would drop in without hesitation.
Price and weight and noise levels are the largest factors. Thanks !
8o

Genesis
07-26-2004, 05:37 PM
5 year/2000 hour recreational warranty, including labor to R&R if necessary.

Find that from any other manufacturer. You can't, and its valuable. The Kohler had a nice price too.

I own one and its been fantastic going on three years now. Not a single bit of trouble with it.

I'd buy another in an instant; I have an 8EOZ; the engine is a 3 cylinder Yanmar.

tomrealest
07-26-2004, 06:00 PM
I have a 20 kw Northern Lights and a 7.5 kw
Westerpeake in my 58 Yachtfish. I couldn't be happier with BOTH. Very dependable, run smooth with normal maintance.

Elixirtoo
07-27-2004, 02:36 AM
I have two Northern lights (20 and 12) , and they seem to be a good choice. The 20 is a 4cyl and the 12 is a 3 cyl but use the same impellers, filters, belts etc. My comment would be to pay attention to how easy (or difficult) theyve made them to do routine maint on. For instance the waterpumps on the NL (and others) are gear driven which eliminates the belt and adjustment. The kohler on a previous boat (9kw) had a soundshield frame and belt driven pump that required an acrobat with tiny hands to replace and adjust the pump belt. The result was many belts replaced because the tension was improper.

Banshee36
07-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I put a 5KW Northern lights in my 36 . It is awesome . The nice thing if i ever get around to the soundshield, it was not that expensive.
I have over 575 hours on it no problems so far.
JW

Mike36c
07-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I installed a 9kw Northern Lights in my 36 this February and put 700hrs on it since without any problems and their sound shield is great. Most service points are on one side (good for bulkhead applications) and the heat exchanger is rubber insulated, no need for a zinc and pulls out easy with just a few loosened hose clamps. Also, they use a mechanical fuel pump that is easily re-built but rarely fails. The company (Shearwater marine, Stuart, FL) carries both Westerbeke and NL, when shopping for a unit I asked their parts department guys which would be their genny of choice, all said NL. That was good enough for me.. Mike

Genesis
07-27-2004, 01:46 PM
1. It doesn't need a soundshield. I can barely hear it over the A/C fan in the master cabin (just forward of the ER bulkhead) without one. That cuts down both cost and the heat around the genny, as it has plenty of air circulation - plus it makes service easier.

2. ELECTRIC fuel pump. Some people don't like them. I love 'em, because they are your repriming source after you change filters. Disconnect the starter solenoid (one wire, just unplug it) and hit START, watch your fuel filter refill! 30 seconds your system is bled and the genny is running.

3. Two-side maintenance. Ok, not as good as one-side, but not a big deal either. Water pump is easily accessible. Belt tension is easily adjusted.

4. Warranty. Already mentioned that. Best part of a warranty is not needing to use it, of course....

There are lots of people who like the various makes out there, and that's cool. Buy what turns your switch and has a reasonable cost. When I bid my replacement of the old Onan in my boat, the Kohler was almost a grand cheaper than the 'Beke or N/L, I liked the engineering, you can't beat a Yanmar engine and the warranty sealed the deal.

GCombos
07-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Sounds like the the N/Lights has a pretty big fan base.
Genesis, I've forgot about Kohler... What kw is yours and do you have any idea how many hours it has?

I have a buddy with a 7.0N/Lights unit. He replaced the impeller replaced because it would overheat after 20 minutes or so. Although the impeller needed it badly, it didn't solve his problem. It continued to heat up even though it had good water flow out the exhaust. Turned out that the belt for the fresh water was loose/worn which obviously prevented the coolant to circulate...I guess unless it's all gear driven, belt maintenance is still required.

Genesis
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Realize that gear .vs. belt-driven is a two-edged sword.

Belt driven units need the maintenance on the belt, of course, but its no big deal unless the belt is impossible to get to.

Gear-driven waterpumps can seize and shear the shaft - then you're screwed unless you have a spare. This doesn't happen as often with belt-drive units....

My Kohler has about 750 hours on it and has been completely trouble-free. I replaced the impeller about three months ago as a preventative - it didn't really need it, but better to do it than have it shed blades into the cooling system at an inopportune time.

I've had ZERO trouble with the genset. Zero. Instant starts down to freezing weather, even though I didn't buy the preheat kit (!) Runs great, stable output, no problems.

davesommers
07-29-2004, 11:48 PM
My .02 worth,

The NL is a great unit, but I went a different direction for my 36. I used a unit made by First Generation Power located in FL. They advertise alot in boats and harbors and are sometimes at the shows. The unit I use has a 2cl kabota eng and a belt driven brushless gen mking 5.5k. This runs everything on my 36 without strain and uses little fuel. It can be heard in the salon, but I didnt use a sound shield. All service points on the front, very easy to get to and all parts available at your local napa or the like - nothing proprietary. It weighs in at 225 which is half the weight of what came out and is very compact - something important in a 36 engine room. Been running since 00 without complaints.

hATTISFACTION
08-01-2004, 06:14 PM
I put a 7kw Phasor in my last 41 Hatteras and ran it for 500 trouble free hours befor selling the boat. Pasor uses Kubota engines and Newage electronics .They Awlgrip the entire unit and price performance is fantastic.With the Awlgrip finish the unit not only ran trouble free but looked brand new after four seasons.
I just finished putting another one in my 42 Hatteras last week.Easy to install , beautifully designed,rugged Kubota three cylinder engine..competes very well with Northern Lights ,Kohler... these are the only three I would consider.

GGombos
08-01-2004, 11:53 PM
I chatted with the S/Eastern Kohler distributor who informed me that next to the Kohler, the Northern Lights was a very decent and less expensive unit. I did a little checking and found the N/Lights 6kw was appx $1,000 more than Kohler's 8kw! :rollin

Also said good things about the "pricey" Phasor line as well. Not sure how to interpret that.

Although Westerbeke seems to be standard on new Hatteras', I'm not hearing much about them...the research continues.

hATTISFACTION
08-02-2004, 09:58 AM
when I priced Kohler,Northern Lights,Onan,Westerbeke and Phasor up here in the Northeast , Phasor was the best price , in some cases substantially.
I did find other what I would consider "second tier" gen sets at lower prices but I would not consider any of them as you get what you pay for.
A friend of mine put in a Northern Lights and although it ran well it seemed to rust awfully fast just after a few years.The Awlgrip on the Phasor protects it well.

ELECTRA VI
08-02-2004, 10:13 AM
I put a 6.5KW Phasor generator in when I repowered with new diesels last year in my 34 C. It runs great and the awlgrip finish is terrific. What I like about it over the Westerbeke I had before is that everythng is in front except the belt on the side. Servicing it is easy as it is mounted in the back of the engine room between the two mains.

GCombos
08-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Talk about an educational experience
Was about to drop the hammer on a new Kohler until I was quoted by the Next Generation folks on their Phasor line. 3 cyl, gear driven raw water pump, self bleeding fuel system and a 5 year warranty. Supposedly, much quieter than my current two banger.The 6.5kw (1800 rpm) looks like the one for me. Well over $1000 less than the lowest competitor.
Thanks for the input, Hattisfaction, Electra, Genesis & everyone else who chimed in. A 'uge help and very interesting!
Gregg