PDA

View Full Version : Engine Drop In

Jackman
08-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if anyone out there has a clue whether or not the 454's in my 1985 32FB would fit in place when I crane them in WITH the risers and elbows ect already on them? I took the engines out with the FWC system disassembled because I was nervous about it not coming out of the engine hatch space but I figured maybe I could put everything together and drop them in all at once.....save a lot of hanging out in the bilge and decrease the amount of time until I have them running. What did Hatteras do when they were new? I figured they dropped them in all at once. The FWC system I have is the type where the risers come off the end of the manifolds instead of the center so I do take a bit more room up but I figured I might be lucky and get it all in. What do you think??

jim rosenthal
08-05-2004, 06:16 PM
..that you are right, and that the engines will fit in with the manifolds and risers already on them I can't imagine any manufacturer specifying an engine that has to be taken apart to get it into a brand new boat. Well, no one except Triumph Motorcycles, who did exactly that in the early 70s, one of the reasons for the company's demise, but that's another story...

67HAT34C
08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
I WOULD SUSPECT THEY WILL FIT WITH ALL ATTACHED. HOWEVER YOU WILL HAVE TO ALLIGN THE ENGINE. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BUT I WOULD GUESS THAT A LIGHTER WEIGHT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER. ALSO LESS BULKY TO GET AROUND IT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE INSTALLATION. CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT SHE CAN DO.

REMIND ME WHAT PROPS DO YOU HAVE AND WHAT SHAFT SIZE.

Jackman
08-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Props are 18.5x20 3-blade. I was looking to change that if they are not optimum. I don't want my RPMs too high yet, on the other end of the spectrum I don't want to take such a bite out of the water that I kill my engines. I think these props were chopped back...at least thats what the guy did to the other set. Just want to know what the optimum configuration is? The shafts are 1.5".