PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Wilma

ELECTRA VI
11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I was finally able to get back on line today. We in North Broward County took a direct hit with the eyewall passing over us. I watched ELECTRA VI (1966 34 C) ride out the storm tied out in the middle of the canal. I had chain wrapped around dockposts at their bases across the canal (bow and stern), a 35 pound Danforth with one inch line off the bow (facing west) and a 22 pound Danforth off the stern. Several redundant lines and springs tied to cleats in the seawall. When it was all over, the stern anchor line had parted at the shackle. I was able to retrieve it. Very little damage to ELECTRA, just a moderate repair job on one antenna and the back canvas was blown out (no sedan doors). We are told that we had some category 4 gusts in our area. Only boat on our canal that suffered damage was a sailboat at the far west end that was dismasted. ;)

Genesis
11-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear it you're ok down there! Bravo on the spiderweb!

ELECTRA VI
11-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Genesis! Hope this is the last time this season.

34Hatt
11-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Hope its the last Time for a long long Time for everyone.
Glad too hear you are doing Good.

Traveler 45C
11-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Glad to hear you made it ok…

ELECTRA VI
11-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks all, I would hate to lose ELECTRA after expecially after everything I have put into her.

Genesis
11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I hear that.

The day I bought Gig I had insurance written for the full purchase price.

Today, if I had to claim her for a total loss, I know I'd have a VERY hard time finding another one and equipping it the way Gig is now for the same money.

Therein lies the problem.....

ELECTRA VI
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
That is exactly the issue. When I did the conversion, I upped the insurance to the max that BOAT U.S would go which in reality covered my investment. Genesis, one thing I wanted to know, when you changed insurance companies, were you required to provide them with an in the water or out of the water survey? I am looking to change companies as BOAT U.S. is going to hit me with a 50% increase this January. I think I remember you mention ing Charter Lakes. What is the phone number for them?

67hat34c
11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
everyone i called wanted out of the water survey.

Genesis
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
That is exactly the issue. When I did the conversion, I upped the insurance to the max that BOAT U.S would go which in reality covered my investment. Genesis, one thing I wanted to know, when you changed insurance companies, were you required to provide them with an in the water or out of the water survey? I am looking to change companies as BOAT U.S. is going to hit me with a 50% increase this January. I think I remember you mention ing Charter Lakes. What is the phone number for them?

Charter Lakes (and everyone else) will want an out-of-water survey unless you have one that's less than a year old.

Call Chad Branch over there - 888-418-8301.

I was able to maintain the agreed value with Charter Lakes that I had with Boat/US, but the survey is critical on that - the surveyor noted all the new equipment and systems work that had been done, and was able to justify the value.

ELECTRA VI
11-10-2005, 09:08 AM
OK, Thanks. I will call him.