PDA

View Full Version : 38 conv repower

ole38hatt
08-08-2004, 11:11 PM
I have an early 38 Convertible with v53n's 210 hp and 2.1-1 warner gears. 24x22 4 blade props. thinking of changing the screamers out for a pair of 6-71 tI's 425-450 hp with twin discs 1.5-1 with 2" shafts and 24x22 4 bladers
Anyone have experience with this combination? I don't want to go to the new lightweights beause I could use a little weight lower in boat to bring the meta-center back down in the boat and the 6-71 combo will bring that weight back down in the boat and no need to add dead
weight in to balance the boat back out for the larger bridge a hardtop added to it

jim rosenthal
08-08-2004, 11:22 PM
For all the trouble that you are going to go through for this, why don't you go for more modern engines and get BOTH the power and the better weight distribution, PLUS a more economical modern design....Cummins C series, which come up to 480hp would be a great fit in that boat. Or, if you think 6-71s will fit, a pair of Cat 3176s, which are available on the rebuild market with a factory warranty and all the updates. That may be more power than you need, but a set of derated engines will last you forever and the boat would go like crazy.

Ole38Hatt
08-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the response Jim. As far as thinking the 6-71 will fit that engine was available in 73 I believe they were N's. My thinking is sometimes jaded by my retired pocketbook so I look at cheap first( something I can work on) but you suggestions will also be factored into the game. When I move on the situation I very well might go new> I will have to look at the specs and sizes and weights of your two suggestions.