PDA

View Full Version : Galley maid windlass not spinning

MV Mystery
10-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Just anchored and windlass worked fine. Now it made a loud noise grinding noisr and its not turning even without load. Motor seems to be spinning when I check in anchor locker?

Is the gearbox toast? Or is there some kind of shear pin or something of the sort ?

I dread pulling it ip manually in a few hours time!

MikeP
10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
There are clutches in the system; if you do not have them tightened sufficiently they will slip. There is usually a nut or handle on the top of the gypsy that controls the tension on the clutches. Tighten it and see what happens.

If the clutches get wet (wonder how THAT could happen? :) ) they can bind even if the tension from the nut/handle is totally released and the windlass will operate normally until sufficient pull on the anchor rode "breaks" them loose. Then the windlass will freewheel until the tension nut is tightened.

When we get back to the dock I always totally release tension on the nut and spin the capstan/gypsy to be sure it's free.

Will
10-13-2013, 05:22 PM
In our GalleyMaid windlass, the motor drives a beveled gear attached with set screws to the main shaft in the gearbox. The set screws may loosen over time. Also, If you tighten the clutch too much, you can pull the shaft up and out of the lower bushing which results in the beveled gear pulling away from the motor drive gear.
Both are easy to fix but you need to drain the oil out of the gearbox to open the access plate.
Call GalleyMaid for assistance. They are very helpful.
Will

MV Mystery
10-13-2013, 08:26 PM
After reading about the galley maid widpasses here, I now realize that we erroneously use the DOWN switch to lower out all chain rode, every single time!

Wondering if this practice has damaged something specific.

Motor seems to be operating, but no movement and a slight grating sound now.

MikeP
10-13-2013, 09:08 PM
The GM windlass was a direct copy of the Ideal windlass but although the ideal has an up and a down thrust bearing, the GM is missing the "down" thrust bearing. Why GM did that, I have no idea. I suspect it was intentional so they could not be accused of pirating the Ideal in the event of a lawsuit. In any case, it is correct that although the Ideal can operate up or down with no issue, the identical-looking GM cannot (or rather, SHOULD not).

FWIW, if you ever have a reason to talk to the Ideal folks (excellent support), don't get them started on the GM copy thing unless you are prepared to listen for quite a while! :)

bobk
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Mike is dead on. You should let the Galley Maid POS free fall. I didn't realize that and it began to make grinding noises after many years of anchoring. I had Rick from Galley Maid modify mine by adding a down thrust bearing so not that powering down now works OK. However, the clutches need regular tightening and as Will said, that can pull the shaft out.

Bobk

MV Mystery
10-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Galleymaid Gearbox is off thanks to the help on this site. I beat it confidently with a sledge, knowing that others have done so successfully before....

it seems the motor coupler is broken and a few gears are worn. I'll change them out as I don't want to drop the g-box again!

However the housing does have some wear at the location where the coupler shaft goes through it. Wondering if this can be machined?

MikeP
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Hmm, looks like you may have found where that other thrust bearing SHOULD have been installed by the factory! :)

That area could be welded/machined but unless you correct whatever caused it, it will just recur under the same operating conditions. Frankly, I don't think I'd bother about repairing that unless it's far worse than it looks in the pic.

bobk
10-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Hmm, looks like you may have found where that other thrust bearing SHOULD have been installed by the factory! :)

That area could be welded/machined but unless you correct whatever caused it, it will just recur under the same operating conditions. Frankly, I don't think I'd bother about repairing that unless it's far worse than it looks in the pic.

I would add that other thrust bearing. If galleymaid won't do it, get their technician Rick to do it on his own time. Also change the clutches while you are at it.

Bobk

MV Mystery
10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Bobk:

Would the addition of the other thrust bearing be something that I can do myself?, with the correct parts and advice of course. Due to my location in the southern Caribbean, the Gearbox is impractical to return to Florida for repairs.

I've been discussing the issue with Rick via email so that I can place a parts order. I'll now discuss the modification and the additional parts required for this with him.

bobk
10-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Rick used a very thin (his words) thrust bearing but had to machine back a surface for it to fit. He also added an oiling tube so I could get some spray grease into it a couple of times a year.

Bobk