PDA

View Full Version : 36c repower

capthook505
08-01-2004, 09:11 PM
I am thinking about repowering my 76 36c from gas ( very old 454s) to diesel and I would just like to get an opinion on some price quotes I got from two yanmar dealers. I got a quote from a dealer in NY on LI for $70,000 for 315 yanmars w/trans and generator installed "barring any problems" with my original running gear and a quote of $90,000 from a dealer in Conn. whom I laughed at when quoted. The 70,000 didn't seem to crazy but the 90 was outrageous.:eek Any comments would be appreciated. The cummins look better than the yanmars anyway.:hat

GCombos
08-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Throw in a complete paint job and you have a pretty good deal for 90k. 70k sounds far more reasonable, IMHO.
Although I bought mine re-powered w/ 300hp Cats, I'm pretty certain that if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Cummins 330hp. Lighter, smaller and a few $ cheaper, I think.
Lot's of folks here have made that switch & can provide you with excellent advise.
Be sure to get all proposed work in writing...the devil is in the detail. Good luck!

jim rosenthal
08-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine in California and Tom Slane in High Point both swear by the 330 hp B series Cummins for that boat. I have 3116 Cats, the 350hp version, but the Cummins are faster, easier to maintain because they are smaller and the working room is better, and there is a huge amount of data on how to make them run because probably two or three dozen 36 Hatteras convertibles have been done with B series Cummins. If I could afford to switch, I would. You may be able to find a set of completely rebuilt ones- there are a lot of Cummins B engines out there.
The B series Cummins is the best thing that ever happened to the 36 Hatteras convertible. Lucky you.

jim rosenthal
08-05-2004, 12:08 AM
...and forget about 315 Yanmars. Way too small. If you want to use Yanmars, which are a good engine, you need at least 350hp per side. But the Cummins are a better choice. You should have a 24-27kt cruise when you are done, and top out around 30kts. They make good power and are lighter than the Cats, which makes the difference, I think.
And if you REALLY want to go fast, the C series Cummins will fit also!!!!!Except you will have to go up on the shaft size and probably the running gear as well. The hot ticket on gears with the B series Cummins is the 1.75:1 gear, not the 1.5:1 that everyone used to use. The ZF IRM220A, or there is also a new lightweight aluminum-case TwinDisc that Tony sells which is probably even better than the ZF. Have fun.

skip smith
08-06-2004, 12:34 PM
If the LI guy is Dante he knows what he is talking about. I have had several conversations with people who have repowered with yanmars who rave about them. Stay away from Wilsons in Conn. Thats all I'll say on that subject

Mike36c
08-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I repowered my 1977 36 earlier this year and after much research and input from this site I decided to go with the 330b's and 1.5:1 TD5055a's (1.75:1 is better but not available with TD5055a's and 2:1 would have meant upping the shaft size). 70K seems like a reasonable number but check the fine print to see what's included. Small stuff adds up to big $'s once you take care of all the "while I'm at it" things like fuel lines & racors, heavy DC wiring, HYD lines, sanitary hose, battery boxes, dripless shaft seals,cutlass bearings, rudder packing, etc. Also inquire about propping/shaft work (I had A-22 1.5" but needed new shafts due to taper problems with the old shafts). Plus you'll need larger raw water thru hulls and ball valves & strainers and make sure they use a good company for your exhaust work.
I love the new engine combination and we just returned from a 5hr Bahama run cruising 23kts towing a 20' boat , she purred like a sewing machine @ 1nm per gallon. Jim is right, don't listen to anyone promoting the 315 yanmar for this boat, the 370 yanni is nice but a lot more bucks over cummins. E-mail me if you get serious and I'll help all I can. msgoodale@aol.com