PDA

View Full Version : 85 hatteras 45 with cummins 450 c

Intesity
09-26-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm seriously considering closing a deal on this 45 hatty 1985...however I don't think I could afford running it with the original engines. I know most peeps are going with the qsm-11 engines, but I'm curious, wouldn't these 450 c series cummins fit nicely and burn less with a 2-1 reduction.
I would not need so much speed, if I could cruise at 20 knots I would be real happy .
pls your toughts are greatly apreciated.

captddis
09-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't think they will be enough power for the 45. I would think 16 to 17 kt cruise

jim rosenthal
09-26-2013, 08:28 PM
I think Dave is right. And frankly you should not buy this boat, no matter how nice it may be, if you think you can't afford the running costs. The fuel and oil for one of these boats is the smallest part of anyone's boating budget, at least in this size class, and I'll bet for most of us. Maintenance, slip fees, repairs, updates, and while-you're-in-theres are where the real money gets spent.

Look for a smaller Hatteras convertible, or buy this one if you can afford the upkeep and console yourself while you're filling the tanks that for 100K at least (the cost of a proper repower of a Series II 45C) you can buy an awful lot of diesel. Even at today's prices.

Boatsb
09-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I think Dave is right. And frankly you should not buy this boat, no matter how nice it may be, if you think you can't afford the running costs. The fuel and oil for one of these boats is the smallest part of anyone's boating budget, at least in this size class, and I'll bet for most of us. Maintenance, slip fees, repairs, updates, and while-you're-in-theres are where the real money gets spent.

Look for a smaller Hatteras convertible, or buy this one if you can afford the upkeep and console yourself while you're filling the tanks that for 100K at least (the cost of a proper repower of a Series II 45C) you can buy an awful lot of diesel. Even at today's prices.

Probably closer to $140k. The qsms are the right engines for that boat. Barely get 22 on a 42 with the 450c.

Tim Powell
09-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Jim
You are exactely correct i had visions of repowering my 52 including engines and labor it will kill
160 to 200 which is crazy when you finish the boat is only worth max of about that much...
Speaking of fuel the thing burn about 55 gallons a hour at cruse about 20 to 22 knots which equals
3.50 per gallon X 55 = 192.50 per hour of cruse. With that it will take a long time to make up the diffrence of fuel ussage with a repower. burr burrrrrrrrrrrr With new engines it wont be much better. May go to 30 to 35 per hour with luck...... 122.50 per hour about 70 better per hour
these darn boats are not for the weak of pocket book.... Unless you are going to use it as a condo!!

Here is a little food for thought 2.5 hours to the blue watter 2.5 or grater back that alone is 5 hours
approx 1000 with baits oil and food and of course drinks another 200 to 250 . A blue watter trip easely 1200 to 1400 per trip. put slip rent maintance repairs insurance and etc and you do not want to know!!

those are ruff numbers fron Morehead city to the famous Big rock fishing grounds on a 1989 52c with DD's.

Genesis
09-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I had the QSM replacement quoted when I owned my 45C and it was in the $125k range assuming there were no "while you're in there doing its" that came up. And there usually are. This was close to 10 years ago and prices on engines (like most things) have only gone one direction since.

IMHO I agree with the other opinions above; the 450s will not be enough engine.

If you want something with more pizzaz then find the boat with the QSMs already in it and buy that one. I've been on one that was repowered and she was considerably faster, more-social (quieter) and had a materially-better fuel burn (the difference there was not small, especially over 20kts!) -- but there was no economic argument for the repower. You do it because you want the social and operational characteristics, particularly if you're looking to take what is an 19ish knot boat at a reasonable cruise power setting and turn it into a ~25kt one, not to "save money."

Intesity
09-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I hear you guys...its not that I could not afford running it it just that It would not make much sense trying to do bussines with a boat with those engines, It would eat away your profit . we had 2 bertrams 42 down here that where repowered with c450 and they are doing 28-29 knots in the corner on gps faster then when they had the 475 detroits .
and I also know of a 46 hatty with c-450 that they claim 24 knots considering these came with 435 8V71 wich are a lot heavier this numbers sound right .
So does this mean the 45 hatteras is not an as efficient hull like the 46 . from what I read its lighter has less keel then the 46 :confused:
I a mecanic myself you, guys know any sources for used cummins engines ? would not mind rebuilding them and sticking the in this 45 .
thx for all the replies .

Boatsb
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I believe the 45 series ll was originally powered by about 550 hp 6v92's. The cummins 450c would be a bit anemic and would be running almost on the pins to get a reasonable speed. Even though the 450c cummins is lighter its still about 1900 lbs ready to run.

jim rosenthal
09-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Rebuilding them yourself doesn't make sense when you can get them through the Cummins reman program with warranties. I still think the C series Cummins, while a great engine, is too small for that boat. Sure it will move it, but not fast enough and you won't be happy with the results.

Price a set of M11s through the reman program, is what I would do. Better yet, find one with M11s already in it and let someone else take the hit. Buy the boat, get the repower for free, or almost free.

saltshaker
09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I hear you guys...its not that I could not afford running it it just that It would not make much sense trying to do bussines with a boat with those engines, It would eat away your profit . we had 2 bertrams 42 down here that where repowered with c450 and they are doing 28-29 knots in the corner on gps faster then when they had the 475 detroits .
and I also know of a 46 hatty with c-450 that they claim 24 knots considering these came with 435 8V71 wich are a lot heavier this numbers sound right .
So does this mean the 45 hatteras is not an as efficient hull like the 46 . from what I read its lighter has less keel then the 46 :confused:
I a mecanic myself you, guys know any sources for used cummins engines ? would not mind rebuilding them and sticking the in this 45 .
thx for all the replies .
Dave is right with a 16kt-17kt speed. Years ago I talked to a guy who had a mid 80's 45C with the 450C's. I was surprised when he said she only cruised 17kts. Boat was too heavy and she needed a little more HP to get her over the hump. As for the 46C, I owned one for 12 years and can tell you that the 450C may push that boat 24kts but that would be WOT if the boat was dialed in, clean bottom and light. They are a bit more efficient than the 45C in the low to mid range because I think they get on step a little faster.

thoward
09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
If you are looking at it from the charter business side, I think you will have a hard time, efficiency wise, with these boats no matter the engines.

Intesity
09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Interesting, well I guess I 'll shop around a little more, the boat would troll 80% of the time and the rest would be running out and back in, but It would be nice to have little more speed then that .
thanks guys .

Bob Bradley
09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
FWIW, I'm running a '79 43C with DD 6v92's making 435. Not that dissimilar from the 45 with 450's you are considering. I cruise around 17, but that is fairly empty. On a canyon trip, loaded with a ton+ ice, full fuel and water tanks, 200 gal bladder on the bow, bait, food, and 6 big guys, my cruise drops to 15 at best. On the way out, before burning off some fuel, I struggle to get up on plane.

Oh, and I envy you guys that can do a blue water trip for $1000 - $1500. Hitting the closest canyon (Fishtales) up here runs me closer to $3k for the trip. But, it can be worth it...

Intesity
09-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the posting your real numbers...kind of curious... what kind of reduction shaft size and props these 1984 and up 45 came with ?