PDA

View Full Version : 65' Convertible (Series 2) engine options

DrPopper
09-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi,
I've been looking for a open bridge 65c and the field is pretty narrow. The choice seems to be 16V-2000's (1800hp) 2001, 3412's (1400hp) 2002 or C-30's (1500hp) 2004 with rather large price differentials between them. Anyone have experience with the 65 series 2 and the various pros/cons ?
Cheers
Matt

jim rosenthal
09-24-2013, 01:04 AM
All other things being equal, I think the concensus on this forum is that MTUs are much more expensive to service, they need more of it, and they are less reliable. The 3412/C30 Cats are reputed to be very reliable. We have a few 65 convertible owners on here who can tell you more, but I don't know if anyone here has one with MTUs.

You might also look on Boatdiesel.com. There should be an MTU section there. There are sections for all the other big brands in marine diesels.

saltshaker
09-24-2013, 10:59 AM
The C30's would be the least desirable. The C30's had some issues but are still a good engine. Not sure of the particulars but when I was shopping for a Cat powered boat, I regularly heard from Cat dealers and mechanics that the 3412 was more reliable than the C30 and the lower HP C32 was much improved over the C30. I don't think the issues were significant just a bit quirky. The 3412 is a fantastic engine but the lowest HP of the 3. If you want speed, the 16V2000's will be the fastest. Great engine and very different from the problematic MTU's of the 80's and 90's. This engine is the current hot ticket for the real big boats. This series of engines were developed by a joint effort from MTU and Detroit Diesel. The early ones were badged as Detroits. The electronics are the same as the DDEC engines and still the basis of the engine management systems for the newer MTU's. The new ones are now 2600HP and the engine of choice in boats like the 82 and 92 Vikings. All of these engines are a bit pricey when it's time for major service. There's no cheap or low cost alternative for a boat like this. They'll all give you very good service life providing they are maintained. You'll rarely see one needing a major with less than 5K-6K hours unless they've had a failure. As for the boat, the 65 is a great sea boat with a fantastic layout. The 4 stateroom boats are a nice improvement from the earlier 3 stateroom boats like mine. Have you looked at the 70C? Same hull as the 65 and the extra 5ft is a big plus particularly in the ER. The ER of the 65 is great but those 16V2000's are big. Either way you can't go wrong with a 65 or 70 or either of the engine options.

DrPopper
09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I thought about the 70 but I don't think they made a open bridge version and then there is the mezzanine deck of which I'm not a fan on the 70 ... It's simply unsafe in a seaway. I thought about a 68 but they are extra pricey for not a lot of extra functionality. Been browsing Vikings today but they just don't do it for me.

saltshaker
09-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't think a Viking of that vintage can compare. The newer ones are much better boats. If the 65 works for you you can't go wrong. They're also a fair amount less than most 65s. Why
not an enclosed bridge? I wasn't a fan until I got mine but I'm not a fisherman and I would think an open bridge would be easier to fish.

capttonyf
09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I thought about the 70 but I don't think they made a open bridge version and then there is the mezzanine deck of which I'm not a fan on the 70 ... It's simply unsafe in a seaway. I thought about a 68 but they are extra pricey for not a lot of extra functionality. Been browsing Vikings today but they just don't do it for me.

There was a 2004 Open Bridge 70C named "Ovation". It was the only 2 time winner of the Hatteras/Bertram shootout. It was sold back in 2007 but I'm not sure who the buyer was. I do also know there is one for sale in Italy now. From the looks of it I think its the same boat. I'm not sure if Hatteras ever made a second open 70C and the 2 boats look similar. As far as the aft deck on the 70 I personally find it as a huge plus and not a safery issue. To be able to have guest sitting in the shade and out of the way of your crew in the cockpit is a great feature. Plus it gives youextra seating with out having your feet in the storage compartments, tackle drawers, and freezers your crew needs to access like on all the new Mezz boats. I personally Love the aft deck. Just my 2 cents.

DrPopper
09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
There was a 2004 Open Bridge 70C named "Ovation". It was the only 2 time winner of the Hatteras/Bertram shootout. It was sold back in 2007 but I'm not sure who the buyer was. I do also know there is one for sale in Italy now. From the looks of it I think its the same boat. I'm not sure if Hatteras ever made a second open 70C and the 2 boats look similar. As far as the aft deck on the 70 I personally find it as a huge plus and not a safery issue. To be able to have guest sitting in the shade and out of the way of your crew in the cockpit is a great feature. Plus it gives youextra seating with out having your feet in the storage compartments, tackle drawers, and freezers your crew needs to access like on all the new Mezz boats. I personally Love the aft deck. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I just saw the Italian open 70 on YW but its massively overpriced.

DrPopper
09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't think a Viking of that vintage can compare. The newer ones are much better boats. If the 65 works for you you can't go wrong. They're also a fair amount less than most 65s. Why
not an enclosed bridge? I wasn't a fan until I got mine but I'm not a fisherman and I would think an open bridge would be easier to fish.

To me a boat is essentially just a means to get to the fish.

rsmith
09-24-2013, 10:47 PM
To me a boat is essentially just a means to get to the fish.

Where and what type of fishing are you going to do?

DrPopper
09-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Where and what type of fishing are you going to do?

95% will be trolling for Marlin out past the horizon

capttonyf
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes I just saw the Italian open 70 on YW but its massively overpriced.

I agree, the asking is overpriced but you never know what a boat may sell for without asking. I personally wouldn't chase a boat halfway around the world anyway, I was just meaning to show an example of an open bridge 70. I dont know anything about your budget or how many people you fish with but if you look at a boat as just a means to get to the fish you're over shooting the mark with a 65ft boat. You could easily accomplish that safely and comfortably in a 45 to 50 ft boat with less than half the Fuel and Maint. expense. Hell you could do it in a 35ft boat but coming back from the canyons on a rough day could get a little sporty. That being said though, there is somthing to be said about the comfort and security a large boat gives you and these Big Hatts are some of the best at it. I've delivered hundreds of boats through the years and the Hatteras 65C and 70C were two of my all time favorites. In referance to the 65C try to stay 1994 or newer because they have a reduced keel and and a little more speed without giving up any sea keeping ablility, Then in 1996 they started updating the layout, in 1997 they began using framless windows, and in 1998 they rounded off the traing edge on the top of the salon window and in 1999 or 2000 they kept the same, time proven hull but completly restyled the boat, changed gearing, increased prop size and draft to nearly 6ft until 2002 or 2003 when they tweaked the bottom and props to get the draft back down to a more reasonable 5 ft. As far as the 70C Its my favorite, same Hull as 65C but with a Aft deck a super low cockpit freeboard "under 3ft" you can easily hang over the side with both hands in the water for releasing fish, and a Full Beam Master Stateroom. You can't go wrong with either one. And if I ever hit big $ wise and didnt have a wife ,2 young kids, a Mortgage, and college to pay for and I was going to move up from my 45C I would say there's a 90% chance I would buy a 65C or 70C.

rsmith
09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Still Ne canyons, Bahamas , barrier reef require different attributes. White blue black striped what kind? It all makes a difference.Imho a 65 is a big lug and not an optimum fishing machine.

saltshaker
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Still Ne canyons, Bahamas , barrier reef require different attributes. White blue black striped what kind? It all makes a difference.Imho a 65 is a big lug and not an optimum fishing machine.
A 65C w a pair of 1800HP 16V2000s is far from being a lug. I don't fish but the trend seems to be big for SF.

Boatsb
09-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Its not the fishing its the cleanup afterwards

Thats a lot of boat to clean

petohazy
09-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Hire a deck hand for the day. Around $150, and not only do you have someone to help rig and set up rods, but they will also clean the fish and the boat when you return.

Boatsb
09-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Probably need two. Theres a lot of boat to wash and clean. Just to wash the salt off is a good days work to do it right.

Then again there is a lot of space to fish.

rsmith
09-26-2013, 09:33 AM
A 65C w a pair of 1800HP 16V2000s is far from being a lug. I don't fish but the trend seems to be big for SF.

Try spinning one out from a tuna that's trying to run under the boat and tell me it's not a big lug

Spellbound
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Seriously now.......How many 65 -70' SF run mucho distance to Marlin fish all day without a captain/crew?

jim rosenthal
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
If you can afford a boat that size, and the fuel to run it, you can easily afford the people that go with it. I wouldn't mind being one of them.

DrPopper
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Barrier reef, Black Marlin, full time Captain and 2 deckhands.
65 is big but the hull is proven over here and we often live aboard for weeks at a time during the season.

I'm looking at these three to start, all different yet all similar.

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Hatteras-65-Convertible-2570584/United-States#.UkRTuzgayK0

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Hatteras-65-Convertible-Open-Bridge-MTU-2400244/United-States#.UkRUDDgayK0

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/Hatteras-Convertible-2640373/United-States#.UkRUSTgayK0

jmagel
09-26-2013, 12:42 PM
http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Hatteras-65-Convertible-Open-Bridge-MTU-2400244/United-States#.UkRUDDgayK0

This is my favorite... "Another Price Reduction - Any Lower and It Will Be Free" LOL. no, any lower and it will be $1,000,000.

DrPopper
09-26-2013, 01:07 PM
This is my favorite... "Another Price Reduction - Any Lower and It Will Be Free" LOL. no, any lower and it will be $1,000,000.
Yeah brokers certainly speak anything but plain English

rsmith
09-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Barrier reef, Black Marlin, full time Captain and 2 deckhands.
65 is big but the hull is proven over here and we often live aboard for weeks at a time during the season.

I'm looking at these three to start, all different yet all similar.

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Hatteras-65-Convertible-2570584/United-States#.UkRTuzgayK0

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/Hatteras-Convertible-2640373/United-States#.UkRUSTgayK0

My Dad had a friend Neville Green who was pretty well known down there. His boats were "Xphius Hunter" He had a 46 Bert then a gen 60. I met him at an IGFA event in Ft Lauderdale At the time his thinking was the 60 was not nimble enough and the Mother ship with a smaller boat was a better option.

Also I can't see how these mezzanine boats are for a serious fisherman. Their is no work space to rigg baits quick access to tackle. We fish ballys mullet sqid eels plus artificials. Dependent on sea conditions we do a lot of rerigging and fine tuning during the course of a day. I just can't see on a lot of these new boats where you can do this with out a dedicated tackle station with SEA RAILS yeah lay an egg sinker on one of these slick top cabinets and watch it roll around on the deck.
Cockpit controls, I wouldn't own a boat without them. Anyone who has persued big billfish knows one millisecond of slack in the line and that fish is GONE!!! It critical for the guy at the controls to keep his eyes glued on the reel for any slow down in the run off. The communication disconnect between the cockpit and the bridge is too great in a heated battle. More fish have been lost to " I thought you said " than any other reason.

Cricket
09-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Think you're wrong about boats with mezzanines not being able to serious fish. Having the same boat originally with tackle lockers and then adding a mezzanine we have much more access to a ton more tackle storage. We basically only fish bait so it's 60 dredge mullets, at least 60 bally's plus a couple Spanish for every trip all without flying weights or anything else. Also we don't have to have a bait box to get in the way as we have refrigerated one built in to the mezzanine now; plus the added height to stand and watch the baits. For me the mezzanine is the best addition for a boat since the eskimo ice machine and autopilot.

DrPopper
09-27-2013, 09:58 AM
My dad had a friend who owned a 60' hatteras called Neville Green too. I fished on it a few times in the early 80's and it went really well. Two other 60's ( Pipedream and Backlash ) and a few series 1 65's also have fished many seasons on the reef and performed well. I'm not so worried about the series 2 65's as they are nimble enough to catch plenty.
Mezzanines I'm not a fan of for the reasons you described, the 70' probably has the best setup of all mezzanines and yet its pretty far from ideal. The 65's don't have a mezzanine.

My Dad had a friend Neville Green who was pretty well known down there. His boats were "Xphius Hunter" He had a 46 Bert then a gen 60. I met him at an IGFA event in Ft Lauderdale At the time his thinking was the 60 was not nimble enough and the Mother ship with a smaller boat was a better option.

Also I can't see how these mezzanine boats are for a serious fisherman. Their is no work space to rigg baits quick access to tackle. We fish ballys mullet sqid eels plus artificials. Dependent on sea conditions we do a lot of rerigging and fine tuning during the course of a day. I just can't see on a lot of these new boats where you can do this with out a dedicated tackle station with SEA RAILS yeah lay an egg sinker on one of these slick top cabinets and watch it roll around on the deck.
Cockpit controls, I wouldn't own a boat without them. Anyone who has persued big billfish knows one millisecond of slack in the line and that fish is GONE!!! It critical for the guy at the controls to keep his eyes glued on the reel for any slow down in the run off. The communication disconnect between the cockpit and the bridge is too great in a heated battle. More fish have been lost to " I thought you said " than any other reason.

AL BAUMER
01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I own 2001 65C with 3412 1400HP Cats. Great power package.

saltshaker
01-12-2014, 11:21 PM
I own 2001 65C with 3412 1400HP Cats. Great power package.
What kind of performance and fuel burn do you get? I'd love to have those engines in my boat.