PDA

View Full Version : 32 volt searchlight diagram

Sailor John
08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Hi all!
Well, this is cool....
I was able (through Dave, of the HOF-the best forum in the world...) to procure an old 32 volt searchlight for Mad Hatter. (Ray-Line 41020 1104) These old searchlights just look AWESOME! I have the dash-mount remote control too.
Here is what I need to get and to know, in order to get it working:
1) A wire diagram. One that will tell me what remote wires go where in the searchlight base.
2) Mad Hatter has a 12 volt system but the light is 32 volt. How do I make that increase in voltage?

I am quite excited about this project and I know this might be a bit of a challenge; but these great looking searchlights are worth the effort!
Any help is appreciated!
Sailor John

GJH
08-20-2013, 07:09 AM
I have the manual in pdf form. If you will send me a private message with your e-mail address, I can send you the pdf. E-mail function here doesn't seem to allow attachments and this will be over the limit for a forum attachment.

captddis
08-20-2013, 07:19 AM
John,
Once again, The motors are all 12 volts regardless of input voltage. A power supply is used to drop the motor voltage down. There is no 32 to 12 volt power supply in the light you have. The bulb is 32 volt and will need replacing. Watch e bay for a bulb.

jim rosenthal
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
So Hatteras must have used a voltage converter in their installs, I imagine. John, you may be able to find the bulb you need on Interlight's web site.

captddis
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
So Hatteras must have used a voltage converter in their installs, I imagine. John, you may be able to find the bulb you need on Interlight's web site.

No not Hatteras but Rayline included a simple power supply with the 24 or 32 volt lights it was installed in the bottom of the housing.

Sailor John
08-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Just an update:
Thanks all. I was able to pull parts from 2 units and get one unit nearly operational.
I need a drive motor, and the proper light bulb. (12 volt). The bulb appears to be a 12 volt dual pin bulb. Any suggestions where I can get a motor or the right bulb?
I will post some pics when able.
Sailor John

jim rosenthal
08-20-2013, 10:26 PM
John, look for Interlight, I think it is www.interlight.com. I was able to get some unusual 12v bulbs from them a few years ago. If they are still out there.

Angela
08-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I recall the horror stories of these 32v bulbs costing in the neighborhood of $75 or more a few years ago. Thereafter, I set out to find a better price for the same bulb. My accounting records indicate I bought 3 of the 32v bulbs for my spotlight in 2009 for $53.31, including shipping, online from a place called "bulbtown". So, you might want to check that out. I still have two bulbs left, but they are not for sale. :)

Sailor John
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Just another update...
Pretty excited about this. I was able to remove and free up the drive motors and clean the gear cases.
I put it all back together and viola, I have full motion in the horizontal and vertical planes!
Now... I just need to find a powerful 12 volt light bulb...(instead of the 32)
Sailor John

MikeP
08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
FWIW, the clutches in those lights tend to seize up over time if the light is not exercised. So it's a good idea to turn it on every so often and run the light from lock-to-lock in both traverse and elevation.

Atlanta Bulbs used to have the correct bulb - at least for the 32V version. I don't know if they still do but it's worth a check. http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com

Sailor John
08-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Mike, you are right. As I worked the motors and the clutches, I found the old clutch grease to be almost hard. Once it was worked and cleaned out, the gears ran freely. The motors were a bit tougher and took a lot of coaxing to get going.
On another note, I am now looking for the searchlight mounting base. This is the one that bolts through the flybridge face, that the searchlight sits on. (See picture and arrow) If any one has one of these, I would be pleased to take it off your hands.

Angela
08-22-2013, 12:34 PM
For what it’s worth, mine is mounted on a 1" slab of teak that is secured to the brow (probably with 5200) rather up on a pedestal as shown in the picture. If you can’t find that pedestal, you can improvise. I’m not sure what the advantage would be for having to mount it a foot higher than the brow. For that matter, is there any reason it can’t be mounted directly to the brow, and exclude one more thing on the boat that needs to be washed, polished, painted/varnished, caulked, etc.?

Sailor John
08-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Interesting thought Ang....
Not being a fan of wood-maintenance, perhaps even a stainless 'shelf' properly secured might work too...
If I can find the 'real' Hatteras mount though, that would be pretty awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Sailor John

MikeP
08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe it's the angle of the pic but it doesn't look to me like there is enough of an eyebrow there to mount the searchlight and that's why it is mounted to the forward slope of the fly bridge. But if there really is room on the eyebrow, then I agree, it could be mounted the same way it is on a 53/58, as Ang mentioned.

Sailor John
08-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Ang,
It looks like yours is mounted on a nearly flat surface. (And yes, it is the same light!). Unfortunately on the 38, there is little room to do anything except to mount it on the slope of the bridge. Not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to have the original base.
OR, I could buy a bigger boat....Hmmmm...that's the ticket....
John

SKYCHENEY
04-15-2015, 10:43 PM
maybe this will help

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/skycheney/stabilizerandspotlight016.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/skycheney/stabilizerandspotlight017.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/skycheney/stabilizerandspotlight014.jpg

wbrown
07-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have the diagram on a Jabco 41120-1021 searchlight that possibly shows how the gear mechanisms are installed (exploded view) I took the bottom motor and gear assembly out and think I have it back correctly but not sure. Is there a way to know how tight the shafts should be adjusted. Also is LB Harvey the only place I can get parts? If anyone has an old 32V 41120-1021 lying around if your not asking to much I would buy for parts.22857
"SILENCE OF THE CLAMS"

captshawn
02-20-2021, 02:36 PM
Hello I'm looking for the wiring diagram of the 32 volt searchlight.

Good news, looks like the 32volt bulbs have come down in price quite a bit!

But the Rayline searchlight on my newly acquired 1978 58YF is completely dead.

JuiceClark
02-20-2021, 08:00 PM
I'm in. I have one up on the tower of my new '84 52C and agree that big light is worth a rebuild.

Of course, I'm only just bringing the boat home tomorrow, finally. So, this might be down the list a bit...because the list of stuff to do is getting very, very long. But I can't wait to shine it up.