PDA

View Full Version : Generator

wshelton
08-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Having read much discussion about generator replacement I think I am going to replace my 7.5 KW Diesel Onan with a new kohler Model 8EOZD. Anyone interested in referring me to where I might get the best deal on one please advise. Will Shelton 800-786-1272

Bob Bradley
08-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Will,
In researching the problems I've had with my 7.5 Onan, I encountered a gentleman named Barry Segal, of MTS (I think they are an Onan shop). He told me that he could install an 8kw Koehler, including removal and disposal of my Onan, for about $6500. I don't have any personal experience with the quality of his work, however, he was quite knowledgable and helpful with my Onan problem. Let me know where you wind up going, as I too am thinking about deep six-ing my Onan POS. Barry's number is 516-623-5600

Bob

FreestyleBruce
08-10-2004, 12:11 PM
I am also tired of pouring money into my Onan 7.5 kw. Does anyone know where I could replace it in the above mentioned price range somewhere in Florida?

Genesis
08-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I had mine done here locally (Destin); Walker Marine both sold and installed it for me.

I don't remember the total price offhand, but could look it up. It was reaosnable; there was close to 4 man-days of labor involved in the R&R due to it being at the aft end of the engine room and requiring some cute tricks to get it in and out.

I like the 8EOZ a LOT and have had zero trouble with it since installation.

jim rosenthal
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
$6500 for a 8kw Kohler is the best deal I have ever heard of. AND the Onan hauled away so you don't have to sell it on Ebay or part it out. Can't beat it....

DaveP3
08-11-2004, 12:23 AM
WOW, that is a GREAT price! I wonder if he'll come to south jersey for the same deal? One question....did that include a sound shield?

I have my old 7.5 Onan MJDE, and I have had really good luck with it. Over 3500 hours and nothing other than oil changes and one circuit board (the old one just went bad). It just sits there in it's sound shield and purrs along. I read some of the stories here and feel lucky (knock wood) that mine is so good. We spend a lot of time on the hook with the genset running over weekends and you can hardly tell it's running.

But all good thing must end and I'd like to upgrade to a 12.5KW with sound shield. As I find myself adding more and more things to the boat (additional A/C units, bait freezer, chilled fish box, more 110 lighting) I feel that I am pushing the little 7.5 to it's limits. If this guy does 8KW for 6500, maybe he can do a similar deal for a 12.5 for maybe 8K or so......

JLR
08-11-2004, 08:39 AM
I kknow Barry and he is a great guy and does great work. He services both generators on my boat (12.5 Onan and 20 Kohler). You can't go wrong with Barry. Tell him John Rivkin sent you his way.

34Hatt
08-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Wow that is a good price and from his area code its Long Island where I am also. Does some one have his address also? Like to find out about a 5kw.

nick
08-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Here's the web page!

Is the $6,500 real? I have the 7.5 onan in the 37 and want to put it to bed, surely for the kohler.

Bob Bradley
08-11-2004, 02:09 PM
That was a verbal estimate he provided me over the phone. I jotted it down in my phone list, planning on contacting him in the off season this winter. I hope he was confident in it.
Bob

Bob Bradley
08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
He told me that it didn't need a sound shield, as it was quieter without one than the MDJE is with one. Also, it has a much smaller footprint, and doesn't require gloplug heating to start.

omecojh
08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
My 42' hatteras had an 8kw Kohler when I bought it 12 years ago. Approximately 3500 hours without a problem.
I took the sound shield off because the kohler is quiet enough without a sound shield. My previous boat had the 7.5 onan. The difference is unbelievable.
Johnny

nick
08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
oops! the web page for MTS is

www.genairsystems.com/fsabout.htm (http://www.genairsystems.com/fsabout.htm)

Genesis
08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I had a sound shield on my Onan.

I did not buy one for the Kohler. It doesn't need it. It is, in fact, quieter WITHOUT one than my Onan was WITH one.

The improved access and cooling is not a trivial matter, and certainly can't hurt.

You're also correct on not needing pre-heat. The glow plugs are there in the standard engine but the switch is not (standard). You can add the harness/switch for about $100, but its a complete waste of time. I have started mine in freezing weather and it simply does not need the glowplug assist in any weather that has non-frozen water to actually boat in. :b

I didn't spend the $100, and am not sorry I left it out at all.

The difference between the Onan and Kohler is like night and day.

BTW, I got 700 hours out of the original impeller in the water pump, and when I changed it I didn't really need to - it was just fine. The original drive belt is still on it as well, and looks basically brand new.

Bob Bradley
08-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I guess they're gone now. Looks like a nice winter project.