PDA

View Full Version : Davit removal and deck repair

davidwigler
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm getting close to removing the original MarQuipt Davit and need a plan for repairing the flybridge deck and ceiling below. I have done small jobs with the West Marine Epoxy but nothing this large or structural. Any experience would be appreciated.

Pascal
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Assuming you don't have to cut up the bottom layer (ceiling) just cut up the top layer, remove the bad core. Replace the core (as mentined elsewhere i d use divinicel) and set it in place using epoxy. I d probably thicken it up a little with some 404 (high density), not too thick, probably like maple syrup

Let that cure, then make sure the core matches the curve of the deck. Sand the edges so that the new glass extends a little beyond the repair. Lay your outer glass which would probably be easier than trying to reuse the old top layer. I like S glass which is stronger than standard E glass. I d probably use 3 layer of 10oz S glass, then roll 3 coats of epoxy.

To reinforce the edge of the hole where the crane is, i d be tempted to cut a ring of starboard which I'd put instead of fire around the standpipe. I know epoxy doesnt stick well to starboard but it doesn't have to since it will be sandwiched by the plates. Otherwise use some hardwood which being epoxied in will not rot. Jatoba would be very strong for that

davidwigler
02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Once I remove the pole there will be a large hole in the ceiling. The rest of the aftdeck ceiling has a popcorn finish.

hromberg
02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Install a dorade box and a cowl vent for extra air? :p

Actually, fixing something like that won't be a minor job. To do it right, You'll need to grind back to bare glass about 4-6 inches all around the hole on the inside and the outside if you're going to plug it and want it to be a real permanent fix. Then you lay a single layer of glass across on the bottom side, and when it's dry you install the core you want to use if any. After that it's filling, laying up enough glass to make the thickness come back, fairing and finishing.

Or you could install a stainless steel deck plate (round screw in thingy) on the outside (be sure to get one with a good o ring) and conceal the hole below however. It's not the right way to do it, but it'd be a ton simpler.

boatwright
02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
the popcorn finish can be done with gelcote or fiberglass resin thickened with cap o sil.thicken until mix will stand up with out slumping down. use a very porious open texture roller or coarse brush. when hard sand the sharpe points down a little. practice on some thing a little first, dont forget the hardner. wont match exact but will be close

bobk
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
First check out the bridge deck surface for water intrusion. Get or borrow a moisture meter for fiberglass and see if there is any water in the top. Also check to see if you have a RF ground there that can respond like moisture. Once you know what has to be done, you can plan the job.

Bobk

TopHattandTails
02-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Or for an even bigger job, you could sand the popcorn smooth and have a smooth ceiling.