PDA

View Full Version : Watermakers

mikep996
08-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Anyone have any experience with watermakers? Couldn't find anything in the archives. Sounds like a great device but I'm wondering if the manufacturers hype may somehow not quite represent the real world operation.

I'd appreciate info re the actual operation/maintainance and recommendations for specific brands/models suitable for a 53MY.

Thanks,

MikeP

saltshaker36
08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Mike,

Can't tell you much about specific water makers, but a good friend of mine just bought a boat that has one that he is looking to sell. The unit is about 2 years old and only used once or twice. Send me an email jack.sardina@comcast.net and I can get you his info. He would know a bit more about watermakers in general than I would.

Jack

Orion
08-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Mike
I also have a 53MY with a Sea Recovery 600 GPD watermaker. Is is great you run the dishwasher do a little laundry and best of all take a shower and just let the water run. It has a main filter called the membrane and three filter that you change yourself a electric motor connected to a pump that bring in the salt water. The unit is about 8 years old and has really been trouble free. The main membrane filter had to be replaced once and that required a service call. You have to use them often or they will clog up. Newer units back flush with fresh water that will prevent that from happening. We live in southern California and boat all year I don't know what would be required to winterize them.
Good luck
Orion

dshuman
08-15-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd also be interested, particularly if they can be used in rivers where the water has more particulate matter. I know they'll work, but will they clog up fast?

jim rosenthal
08-17-2004, 12:04 AM
see if you can find something in Passagemaker magazine. The trawler crowd use these a lot, as they always have power to run them and use a lot of fresh water. Some good names: Village Marine Tech, Standard, Sea Recovery. They definitely thrive on frequent use, also they fare better if you stay out of polluted water as hydrocarbons in the intake stream will damage the membranes. Most boaters who use them carry a spares kit and filters. If you can afford one, they make very high-quality fresh water and lots of it. Actually the amount they make is sometimes a problem as you have to use it up, there's usually not room to store it.