PDA

View Full Version : 53MY Batteries

PascalG
08-10-2004, 02:54 PM
as I expected, my batteries are starting to get weak... first, I would have to use the paralel solenoid when starting the port engine and now on sunday, I had to paralel to start the stbd engine when hot (I guess compressions are higher hot than cold...)

in the past, a previous owner got creative, replaced the original batteries with 2 banks of 4 smaller Exide E-4800 (10Lx7wx11h) and removed the aft stbd battery box. Going back to the original size battery would mean rebuilding that box... no big deal really but then I figured that there was no need to reinvent the wheel...

The Exide E4800s are almost 4 years old which is not bad for South Florida and have worked very well. I don't really need huge battery capacity since I almost never run the boat without the genset anyway... too hot in flroida 2/3 of the year. for the winter months I plan on adding an inverter and a separate battery bank anyway.

So I looked around and found a golf cart place right here in south florida who sells the E-4800 , only $75 each.. and will even deliver them for $20...

almost too good to be true and although I know these batteries have worked well on the boat for almost 4 years... I'm only replacing one bank right now jsut to make sure before replacing the second one...

these batteries are supposed to be deep cycle but seem to have enough punch to crank the engines. according to the Exide site, they are GC2 group size, provide 290 RC minutes @ 25 amp and 110 minutes @ 75 amps to 5.25v

Pascal
miami, fl
1970 53 MY

DOUBLE EAGLE
08-10-2004, 11:50 PM
8o :\ :rollin
PASCAL
do yourself a favor and replace all of them at the same time..
I didnt one time and had to do it the next month or two anyway...
write on the batery box where you got them and the price....you wont remember later
bill

PascalG
08-12-2004, 02:30 PM
well the 4 exide E4800 were delivered as planned.. $ 350 inlc tax and delivery... cant' complain. I'll install them tonight on the stbd side and if indeed it was the batteries (99.99% sure it is) I'll replace the port bank next week.

Will probably use the 6volts E3600 when I install an inverter later on this year, from the same source, he had some in the truck that he was delivering...

if anyone needs golf cars batteries in the Miami/FTL area... BK Golf Cars 954 894 9020

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53MY

dshuman
08-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Pascal,

If you're adding an inverter, why not just get bigger AH rated batteries for your house bank and run everything off that?
I have the Exide's (8V195) for my starting bank too, but the house bank is 4 Rolls 8HHG25PM's. The battery size is "HATT", I believe due to Hatteras, and they fit in the original fiberglass boxes exactly. I run EVERYTHING from that except the starting bank starts the s/b engine. At 275AH each, it gives 1100 amp hours so I can run the refer on the inverter all night without the generator, etc. Rolls are supposed to last 10 years or more, vs 4 to 5 years. The list price is $542 each, but I found them for $379 ea. Expensive, but it seems to be a great solution.

Doug
1978 53MY

PascalG
08-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Doug,

I thought about that, but I figured it doesn't hurt to keep separate starting bank. considering the price of these batteries, $350 per bank, it's worth it.

pascal
1970 53 MY

dshuman
08-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Pascal,

I have a separate starting bank too (the Exides). I thought you were going to set up a separate bank for the inverter, so you'd have 3 banks. I just think if you're going to add batteries, just increase the AH's in the house bank. I must have mis-understood.

Doug

PascalG
08-17-2004, 11:28 PM
doug,

what I meant is that I prefer to keep 2 starting banks, one per engine, and simply add a new bank for the inverter.

I use very little power for house loads. unfortunately, many of the lights hve been "upgraded" to 110v by previous owner(s) (salon, master, companionway, galley except one, etc...) so the only 32v. loads i have are the water pump, vacuflushes, a few lights,... not a factor over 24 hours...

pascal
1970 53MY