PDA

View Full Version : Changed fuel filters; engine won't start - 6v92

Bob Bradley
08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
I changed the filters, primary and secondary, on my 6v92's last evening, and I suspect that I may have gotten air into my fuel lines. I ran the primer pump until well after the bowl filled up, but when I started her up, she only ran for a couple seconds, and then shut down. When I opened up the Racors, it was only filled halfway up. I filled it to the top after that, and also filled the primary, but still no-go, despite running the priming pump for quite a while. Do I have to bleed the system, and if so, is there a simple way of doing so? Thanks.
Bob

Genesis
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
6V92s are self-priming.

HOWEVER, if you emptied the primary and lines, you're in for some fun. Pull the primary again and refill it again, along with the secondary. You may have to do this more than once before it finally fires.

It'll start, although it will take some cranking.

(I have these engines in my '85 45C)

Traveler 45C
08-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Bob,

It sounds as if your getting an air leak into the suction side before or at the Racors. Perhaps re-tracing your steps and re-tightening all that you have loosened will uncover the leak.

Greg

captddis
08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
If you have a built in priming system there is often a valve you have to close. Some systems are before the Racors and if you do not close the valve you will drain the filters. Check out the plumbing and valving to be sure it is correct. If one engine is running you can run a hose from one engines secondary filter to the other secondary and let the running engine fill the other.
Dave

divernc
08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
I agree they are self-priming, but one of mine was difficult a few years back. A trick I observed from the DD mechanic is to disconnect the fuel return line and temporarily attach an outboard motor fuel line pump bulb in the fuel return line. The bulb pump direction should be pointed toward the fuel tank. Have a discharge line on the bulb pointed in to a bucket. This will help suck the fuel through the system. After filling all filters have someone crank the engine and another vigorously pump the bulb.

I know this sounds stupid, but make sure the fuel feed valve is open. I once worked for an hour to restart an engine after an oil change, only to discover my 11 year old helper had shut the valve.

Bob Bradley
08-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Problem solved last night. I filled both primary and secondary with clean fresh fuel from a container - for some reason, the priming pump would not do the job by itself - and viola! She runs. You can bet I'll never make the mistake of hitting the start button with the racor empty again! I do appreciate all the feedback.
Bob