PDA

View Full Version : GPS Plotter & Computer

PascalG
08-17-2004, 09:49 AM
When I got my 53, it came with a very nice Garmin 2006C plotter on the flybridge but nothing at the lower helm. I didnt' really want to spent another $1500 or so since I usually run the boat from the flybridge except when docking or in rain. Since the lower helm is well protected, using my notebook connecting it to the GPS was a cheaper option.

I looked into various software packages, inlc the free stuff, and finally decided to stick with the Garmin Blue charts. I ordered the blue chart CD from boatfix.com... $103...(previ owner had bought the regional cartridge instead of the cd) got a serial cable at radio shack ($12), some old phone wire and connected everything tonight. it's only 3 wires coming down from the GPS, I cut the serial cable, spliced the 3 wires to the 3 pin as explained in the instructions and...

it works! after installing the Blue Chart/ Map source software, unlocking the region... the boat position showed on on the screen...

for those considering a dual station system this is really the best option. i'ts also easier to plan routes, enter waypoints etc... on a notebook in the salon than on the GPS outside. and because you can use the charts on 2 GPS Plotters AND on the computer, you only need to buy one set of e-charts.

I haven't tried all the software functions but it seems real easy to use...

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53 MY

NANPO 41
08-19-2004, 09:49 AM
You can also interface a $150 handheld GPS to the notebook to get redundancy for cheap dollars. The cord is available from the manuf. to connect GPS/laptop and GPS/12v so you aren't using the GPS batteries.