PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bolts Leaking

tlangsto
08-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I just discovered that the four bolts that hold the port forward strut to the hull are loose and leaking, these bolts seem very hard to get to because they are under the fuel tank. Any suggestions on the easiest way to get them out or replace would be helpful.

Genesis
08-19-2004, 12:33 AM
There are a couple of nightmare scenarios on these boats.

That's one of them that I have given some thought to - I can't come up with anything better than cutting the deck and removing the tank.

Another is problems with the fiberglass exhaust expansion chamber/pipe outboard of the fuel tanks. You can't get to the anything much forward of the exhaust location - even if you're really, really tiny.

A third is the fuel fill hoses. They're clamped (nice) on the forward cockpit bulkhead, but there's no way you can get to those clamps to remove the screws. Me thinks you have to leave the old hose in there, or intentionally tear it out (and hope you can break/rip out the clamps) - again, no way to get to them.

If you come up with a way to get to these other than cutting the deck and removing the tank, I'd love to hear it.

34Hatt
08-19-2004, 10:15 AM
No sure if this is possible on that boat, but some times you can cut a hole in the bulkhead and get to them?? Still not easy but better then going through the deck IF ITS Possible.

garyd
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Under these circumstances I have had excellent results by thinking outside the box.

Therefore design your own tool and have a machine shop make it. If you can use a real long closed end ratchet wrench, buy the correct one from snap-on then weld on the extension. Careful this will give you a great deal of leverage if you have enough room to turn it..

I would also guess that the screw is going to turn which means removing any bottom paint/putty and holding the screw.

Since you will then need the boat out of the water. I would think about drilling out the old screws and use new hardware. Then hold the nut with a newly designed tool and turn the screw. You could use a torque wrench to make sure you got them tight evenly. Don't forget 5200 etc.

Good luck let us know how it turns out

garyd

tlangsto
08-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the great ideas, I think I will try to make a wrench first as Gary said and see what happens.

Trojan
08-24-2004, 10:52 AM
You might think about an air RATCHET wrench ,with some type of extention handle.They are thin and narrow and have lots of controlable torque.Chances are if the bolts are leaking the bolts are eroaded and will snap off.Good Luck Bill

DaveP
08-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I am not sure if I'm thinking straight but an off the wall thought here......maybe if you could find someone to make you a nut similar to the butterfly nuts you use on drywall that slide up the screw hole then expand on the inside??? Some interprising machine tool guy ought to be able to come up with something.

Then all you'd have to do is drill out the old ones, slide the new ones into place and tighten them up. The concept ought to be strong enough, I have bookshelves hanging on those things on my kids walls.