PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on carrying that spare shaft

Top Shelf
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
The other day I needed to re-seal the inspect plate that covers the access hole to my spare shaft. Boat is 1989 48 Cnv. with 2.5" shaft's. While I've never pulled this shaft all the way out, I'm guessing it's at least 12 feet long and probably weighs 300 to 400 pounds.

I do some FL to Abacos runs Chub, Bimini, etc during the summer, Boca to Key West / Tortugas in the winter. Got a full tower and carry a tender. Boat needs to go on a serious diet........

I've changed shafts in the water before, never this big. I don't think me and 4 Buddies could change this shaft.
Which leads to my question. Is it practical to carry that ballast? With shafts this big unless you're really, really remote wouldn't you just limp to a yard and ship in the shaft?

Interested in thoughts and experiences. Thx.

GCombos
08-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Notwithstanding the std assortment of tools, filters and
the usual suspects that could foul or break, I say that if you can have the part delivered to a nearby boatyard within a week or so, then leave it at home. Especially something that huge that realistically takes a yard to replace. Unless, of course you are chartering the boat, then time down could be money out the window.

I used to run a small Bertram through North & South Carolina and wintering in So FL. Similar to Noah's Ark, the owner felt we needed to carry two of everything, including spare wheels & a spare shaft. Although this was fine in theory,the one major running gear component that we ended up needing to replace, we did not have in inventory- a rudder.

34Hatt
08-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Well I agree That you can never have it all and the weight will slow you down. But the key thing I saw was that you go to the Bahamas and the price of a shaft there with duty will be costly. If you where staying in the states I would say leave it home and ship it if you needed it, but take it to the Bahamas since you have it.