PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer sender - 6v92; Hatt 43C

Bob Bradley
08-23-2004, 12:34 PM
My stbd tach is not registering rpm. I hooked a jumper wire to the port side, and it worked fine, so I presume that there is a sender that has failed. These are electronic, not mechanically activated tachs. I can see where the mechanical tach cables come off the aft port side of each engine, and connect to the Glendinning engine sync module, but I cannot find where the sender for the flybridge tachs is located. Can someone please give me a bit of help with this? Thanks.
Bob

Genesis
08-23-2004, 02:00 PM
... are on the end of the Glendinning.

They look like a barrel roughly 1" in diameter on the forward end of the Glendinning (at least they are there if your boat is set up like mine)

Bob Bradley
08-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Is Glendinning the correct source for the part? Or, perhaps I should just whack it with a mallet and see if it corrects itself?

Genesis
08-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Before you do anything else.

In other words, make darn sure the sender is bad. They can and do fail, but the wiring fails more often.....

Easy enough to swap the wires at the sender (they're only a few inches apart) and see if your tach signal moves.

Genesis
08-23-2004, 06:38 PM
... is your Glendinning WORKING?

If not, check the drive adapter on the back of the hydrico pump. They get sloppy and bind - the result is that the short flexible drive section going into the adapter is sheared off.

If that's happened, you need to replace the drive adapter. Bend over when you go to buy that part - its about $400.

captddis
08-23-2004, 07:36 PM
If you get no out put from the pulse generator unscrew it and check the drive tang. It is common for them to round off. Greasing the tangs on reinstallation will greatly increase life. A lot of the AC generators used plastic drives.

Bob Bradley
08-24-2004, 01:16 PM
However, it has slipped and revved up the stbd slave engine once or twice while running at headway speed. I ordered the part from Sam's yesterday. He only had a couple available, so I said screw the $175 and send it to me. If the existing one proves to just need a whack, or the wire splice is just corroded a bit (I just checked it, and it is only a butt crimp connection - ughh), I'll have a spare. I'll be sure to grease up the tang when I reinstall. As usual, I appreciate everyone's input.