PDA

View Full Version : stuffing boxes on 1976 42C

hATTISFACTION
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to loosen the nuts on the stuffing boxes on my 1976 42C., They just will not budge. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Also I would like to have the new packing on hand since the boat is in the water . Does anyone know the correct size?? these are 1 3/4 inch shafts.. I really miss the dripless shaftlogs I had in my 41.!!!!
Thanks for any advise.

67hat34c
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
are you able to loosen the keeper nut? if both are stuck to gether then try the following:

first use wd40on the threads, tap on the nut with hammer to try to crack loose. then use 2 long handled pipe wrenches. if this does not work then you may have to use a torch to heat up the nut. if you use a torch. put wet rag around the rubber boot. heat the nut evenly, dont need to make it glow red just heat it up. watch out for the wd 40 as it will ignite. clean it off with water before heating.

hATTISFACTION
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
thanks , I'll give the heat a try.

ACR
08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Try a can of "Free All" from MSC 1 800 645 7270, located on page 4422.

Jackman
08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Ahhhh Stuffing boxes. I remember when I redid mine I had the same problem. I soaked mine with WD40 as well....heavily overnight and with some leverage and cussin I got them loose...after about 4hrs!

Be careful with the "heat" in the bilge. Don't want to see any fireworks here in PA.

I would replace all the studs and nuts if I were you. I believe, if they're like mine, they are bronze. You may have to order them if someone local doesn't have them.

Genesis
08-25-2004, 05:11 PM
... if it won't loosen things up, then you likely need heat.

But try the PB first.

Traveler 45C
08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Can Corrosion X be used to loosen these bolts up?

Greg

jim rosenthal
08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
..I would do this in the water....if you are having that much trouble with it, it might be better to wait until she is hauled. I agree with G, PB Blaster is amazing stuff. You may have to soak it daily for a few days. There is also an aircraft liquid called "Kroil" or something like that that works well to loosen rusted-stuck parts. I have had good luck with Blaster. Plus, the can is very entertaining to read. And you'll have time to read while you are waiting for it to soak in.