PDA

View Full Version : New Windlass, HELP NEEDED

Analisa
08-19-2004, 10:57 AM
I am planning a trip dow to the Virgin Islands from Florida and intend on doing a lot of anchoring out. At present on my 53` I have an Ideal 32v. which takes rode only. The capstain is above deck with the rest below. There is one black Raise control. I want to have chain. What windlass do I buy, taking into consideration fitting it, at present 32V. and being able to use chain. Will the weight of the chain affect the boat. I may have a little weight to spare as I have just pulled out the old Onan Gen and put in a Westabeke. Does anyone know anybody in Ft. Lauderdale to do the work? I await all your great advise.:rollin ::lol

Dustoff44
08-19-2004, 01:26 PM
You might consider having the Ideal
www.idealwindlass.com/ (http://www.idealwindlass.com/) rebuilt the current unit with a chain gypsy, It would probably be less expensive than a new windlass etc. I would use about 200' of 3/8" HT chain and the weight is not really an issue

ttom02
08-19-2004, 03:53 PM
You didn't mention what brand you have. My boat was fitted with a galleymaid vertical windlass. I only had the rope capstan. I contacted galleymaid and purchased off the shelf the new head with both a chain & rope capstan. Works great - I use the chain all the time, and the rope as secondary. They are in Palm Beach Fla.

captcoop
08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I replaced the existing Galley Maid with a Muir that I bought through Defender Marine. If you do replace the existing note that you will need the EDC (extra deck Clarence) because Hatteras has a 4 to 5 inch thick hall at the windlass location. Maxwell will make an EDC model but the Muir is in my case a shelf item and it works well so far. The nice thing about the Muir is it is rope/chain and self storing. The only change that Galley Maid has made is they have an option for all stainless steel. Good Luck

analisa
08-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Many thanks. I will contact Ideal but I dont think they make a chain capstain for this model. The other thing is I only have a control to raise the anchor, with chain will I need to lower it to be able to lower it.

mike
08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I have a 53' 1972' with an ideal verticle shaft that has a chain and rope capstan....call them direct they are great people to work with. If yours was installed by hatt they may even have the orig install info. they were the supplier on the early models including the the bowspirt.
mike

analisa
08-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Yes, Ill give them a call. The boat is a 1979, 53´MY and it looks like an original fitting. With chain will I need to get the motor to both lower and raise the anchor. At present it will only raise it.

mike
08-25-2004, 11:56 PM
The short answers is yes... you will need to run the motor in both directions. You could pull the chain on deck and play it out by hand, but that is an accident waiting to happen. It's not a big deal to add up/down controls, and should already be an option. Mine is set up to run from the helm, or at the bow in up/dn mode. Mike

spartonboat1
08-30-2004, 02:18 AM
Anyone know if Maxwell is the supplier of choice for Hatt now...they were up to 2-3 years ago.

Anyway I bought a Maxwell VWC 1200 (chain and rope model), for my 43' MY a year or so ago. I intend to install a mounting "pad" for the windlass, so that the base of the windlass is level with the top surface of the pulpit. This pad will be slightly aft of the bow pulpit, which is the installation style I have seen on the 30-40 boats I have observed.

Anyone ever built one of these pads? Would be about 1" thick or so. Do you build it all fiberglass, or do you encapsulate a wood base of a specific type tree, oak, cedar, balsa (guesses) etc.

Thanks.. What say you?

PascalG
08-30-2004, 09:44 AM
starboard would work great there... just cut and install

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53my