PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Post Stuffing Box

tcarlson6199
10-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a seeping (weeping) rudder post and thought I would see if I could tighten the stuffing box. But there seems to be no stuffing box. Just the post. The other side does have what seems to be what I was looking for. Is that possible? Water is not gushing in so I am thinking it must be some other kind of stuffing techniques. Would appreciate any thoughts.

GJH
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
What model boat? You may have to dig deeper to where it exits the hull. On mine, the top of the post where the control ram and rudder indicator connection attach is a level above where the stuffing box is. Edit: just looked at your profile so suspect, but don't know, yours is similar to mine. 53MY owners of your 1982-ish vintage will chime in I'm sure.

SKYCHENEY
10-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Earlier boats had the big nut to adjust. Later boats had the two studs on either side of the rudder post.

Nonchalant1
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
The 53MY has a wood "deck" above the actual rudder gland, so when you look down from the top it looks like there's no stuffing box. Mine had 8X8 inch cutouts at floor level in front of the rudder shafts so you could get under that wood flooring. The 1978s had a big gland with about a 3.5" lock nut and the same size gland nut so you need 2 huge wrenches to loosen the lock nut so you could tighten the gland.

Boatsb
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
The 53MY has a wood "deck" above the actual rudder gland, so when you look down from the top it looks like there's no stuffing box. Mine had 8X8 inch cutouts at floor level in front of the rudder shafts so you could get under that wood flooring. The 1978s had a big gland with about a 3.5" lock nut and the same size gland nut so you need 2 huge wrenches to loosen the lock nut so you could tighten the gland.

There is an easy way to loosen the lock nut without the huge wrench. It requires a wop wrench and a punch or drift.

patch
11-21-2011, 02:44 PM
I have 1988 54 MY and the both rudderpost started weeping on the way over to the Bahamas.
They didn't leak at all when the boat was in the water 5 Months ago.
I put it in Dry dock for the Hurricane season and relaunched it two weeks ago.
On the crossing we noticed the rear pump running for about 10 sec ever couple hours.
I have the two bolts on each side of the stuffing box. We didn't want to tighten it too much because we didn't want to take the chance of breaking it underway.
When I get to Marsh Harbour, will get the boatyard to look at it. Is the stuffing common or do I need to have some shipped over from Sam's.
Thanks
GP

Nonchalant1
11-22-2011, 05:58 PM
If it is the 2 bolts kind, you can tighten it yourself easily. As long as there is still some "squish room" left, you don't need more stuffing. If you do need stuffing, it is the common waxed flax or GFO stuffing. Chances are that you can just tighten both bolts equally and slowly until it stops dripping. It's unlike a propshaft gland in that it will not overheat if tightened a little too much. Check the rudder shaft top bearing to make sure the rudder does not "shudder" underway, which loosens up the gland and causes it to drip.