PDA

View Full Version : Genset Shut Down

RTyler
08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I did something really studpid this weekend, I let my 7.5 Onan MDJE run the forward fuel tank dry. ( 1979 43 DCMY ) The genset is now totally dead, no response at all to the start switch, which I'm assuming is the result of a safety shut down at the control panel. Two questions:

First, does it make sense that the genset triggered a safety shut down, probably due to low oil pressure reading as it starved for fuel? If so, I'm assuming all I have to do is hit the reset button.

Second, after I refuel the tank is there any chance it's going to prime itself? If, not should I crank it a few seconds to get fuel as far as possible and then work the prime hand pump to get complete fuel flow?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RTyler

Nonchalant1
08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
If it's like the MDJF, you fill the tank, fill the RACOR, fill the fuel filter, and work the hand pump for a long time. Then push the reset button long and hard. It's not an electronic button, it actually pushes a rod through a click stop, which you can usually hear. It is also self priming if you crank it long enough, like if an air bubble in the lines between the RACOR and the filter gets to the engine and needs to be worked through. Be careful not to crank too long and overheat the starter.

It'd be nice to have Genesis' portable fuel pump to just pump fuel from the RACOR to through the filter into the pump bowl.

Doug Shuman

wshelton
08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry I can't solve your problem, however have a qustion I hope you might answer. I have a 80 mod 43 with an aft fuel tank under the birth in the rear and a 90 gallon forward tank behind the batteries. I have a fuel maifold to choose which fuel tank for the mains. Do these valves control which tank the power plant draws from, too. Or is there another way to determine which tank you can use?

RTyler
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
It sounds like we have basically got the same setup. My manifolds are mounted just aft of the mains on the bulkhead to the aft stateroom. I have assumed all along that they only control the mains, and that the genset is directly connected to the forward tank. Right now I am running both mains off the aft tank ( returning to that tank also ), and the genset ran the forward tank dry. I am unaware of a manifold that controls the genset fuel supply.

RTyler

Genesis
08-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Mech fuel pumps on gennys are a pain in the ass.

I like the little electric one on my Kohler. If I run out of fuel (or change the filters, etc) I just disconnect the starter solenoid wire and push the start button and hold it. The fuel pump runs and primes the system. Crack the banjo fitting going to the injection pump and wait until fuel comes out of it, then snug it up, plug the wire back in and hit the button.

Works every time.

RTyler
08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds like this may be a bit of a pain in the ass, but I've only got myself to blame. What are your thoughts on the safety shut down. Does that sound like something it should do because of running out of fuel? I was a little bit surprised that it was completely dead, but I guess if it sensed low oil pressure maybe that's what triggered it.

RTyler

eze2bme
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Check the diagrams from Hatteras on fuel supply lines. I have a 1979 43DC and the generator supply/return is from the aft fuel tank. There is no selector valve for the genny.

67hat34c
08-01-2005, 02:10 PM
oh yeah, check out entire cooling system. would pull exchanger off and acid wash. replace thermostats etc, if you are getting into it might as well do it all, no more worries in future.

also pull the riser off and clean it out, need to make sure input water can discharge

Genesis
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes, its entirely possible.

Onan's have a funny mechanism for safety shutdowns, as was mentioned. Its a mechanical reset that needs to be put back "on".

Basically any fault that the system sees will trip that. Intermittent running while gasping for fuel could do it due to either an excursion on the AC side or low oil pressure.

spartonboat1
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I ran out of fuel a couple years ago, due to some service factors (lost fuel leaking into bilge from newly installed fuel line) coupled with stupidity (running lower on fuel than should have). The genny died first, then the two mains...I was a mile from the fuel dock. This was a MDJE on a '72 43' MY. The genny pulls from the port tank.

Call the tech that got me going first try and have him explain his fix. He is a whiz on this:
Brian Rettel, Cheboygan, MI: 1-231-627-2083.

Benefit: no explanation, but she now starts better that ever previously, since I bought the boat in 1997. She always took multiple tries to start. But since changed out all fuel filters, after running out and sucking crud from the tank bottoms, she starts on first try 95% of time, in all temperatures and whether hot or cold start.

Go figure...good luck. recommend calling Brian...

double eagle
08-01-2005, 09:44 PM
to r tyler

where do you have your boat...
did you ever have a 58yf..
thanks
bill
double eagle

RTyler
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
My boat is on Lake Travis in central Texas, just outside of Austin. I've never owned a 58 YF, if I had, I would have never gotten rid of it.

We really love our 43 DC, it fits our needs right now, but the 58 is a great boat.

double eagle
08-02-2005, 11:05 PM
to
r tyler
we bought our boat from a r tyler from baltimore area
we keep itin the fla keys
holler if you get that way
bill
double eagle