PDA

View Full Version : Hatteras Liveaboard which one?44 Tri Cabin or 53MY

clipper4730
01-16-2003, 03:08 AM
Hey folks I am brand new to this board and am looking for some info on Hatteras yachts. I am looking to buy a Hatteras to utilize as a liveaboard and am not sure which one to choose. I have been looking at the 44' tri cabin the 48' yachtfish, as well as the 50' and 53' motoryacht. Any insight as to which of these yachts would make the best liveaboard will be greatly appreciated. Also if there is anything I should stay away from i.e. certain years or models that have had problems. Thanks in advance for you assistance

Scott
Jacksonville Fl.

jim rosenthal
01-16-2003, 11:29 AM
They are all good boats. It depends on how much room you need. Everything is more expensive for the bigger boats; they have more complex ship's systems, more AC units, more plumbing etc. The 50MY is the older version of the 53, slightly less room and probably quite dated unless you find one someone restored.
There is a substantial price difference; you can find a nice 43 or 44 MY for far less than a nice 53; even a 53 that needs updates and probably some mechanical work will be in the 200K range I think.
On the theory that the bigger your boat, the less boating you do, I would go for a smaller nice boat and plan to get out of your slip and go boating more often. I lived on a 36 convertible for a while and it was big enough.:D

mwert72655
01-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Your question depends largely on your marital status. I doubt my wife would be happy on a boat with no dishwasher or washer/dryer - you can't beat the space you have in the galley on the 53...ours has Corian countertops, hardwood floors, a side by side freezer/refrigerator and Jenair stove/oven..all the comforts of home, in fact....of course "where am I taking you for dinner" still comes in real handy, even on a 53!!

Good luck!!

clipper4730
01-17-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the info. To answer a few questions I am a happily single commercial pilot who spends about 12 to 16 days a month on the road. Space would be great but I am not there all of the time so I could probably deal with a little less space. I really like the 53' but is the extra space worth the cost. If I went with the 44' I would have the cash to update and modernize but with the 53 I would be at the end of my cash surplus. I have been looking at a '72 tricabin, is there anything special I should look for during the survey. Anyway thanks for the info and keep it coming.
Scott
Jacksonville, FL

davephipps
01-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I agree with the comments of your previous posters, and would like to add a few as well. There wasn't much in your post about your boating background, so I hope I don't sound too basic here...

I recently purchased a 1983 53 Classic Motoryacht in good condition, and am still getting to know her.

Start by establishing a definite price range that allows you to set aside a cash reserve after the purchase to attend to the blemishes and warts that you'll find after the honeymoon. This should be in addition to the costs associated with the recommendations of the survey. Look through the threads of this web site and you'll get a pretty good idea of what kinds of things the owners are experiencing. We will have about $30,000 in repairs and updates in our boat during the first 6 months of ownership. Obviously your experience will vary drastically based on too many factors to describe here.

Remember that what you buy, you will also have to sell someday. Given the costs of a new or late model motoryacht, I think a well maintained and updated Hatteras will be in demand for years to come; just remember that you'll have to keep it updated and maintained and that the bigger the boat, the more that will cost.

Have the most competent Detroit Diesel tech rep accomplish an engine and gear pre-purchase condition survey; this should include a compression check, and will likely set you back about $3,000, but given the potential cost of engine repairs or overhauls, it's the least expensive and most prudent investment you can make.

Look for a boat that has good maintenance records available for your inspection. Previous work invoices will show you how the boat has been cared for, and what sorts of things have or have not been done. If the owner does not have these, think twice.

And definately require a sea trial; the engine surveys can not really be complete without one.

Pay particular attention to: engines, blowers, turbo chargers, intercoolers, transmissions, prop shafts, cutlass bearings, and props. In addition, generator condition, seacocks, hoses, and battery condition.

The condition of the bottom paint can be very expensive to remedy if you pay a yard to do it, and very time consuming and unpleasant if you have to do it. Get some comprehensive estimates for any bottom work that may be necessary.

Best of luck; let us know how it goes!

Dave

CapetaniosG
01-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Capetain Scott:

I own a 53ft. Hatteras MY which I picked up in England
a year ago for far less than the 200k you're talking
about. It was 90% new according to the surveyor,
thanks to its German owner. I'm very happy with the
boat. It has lots of room for a live aboard.

I see you're from Jacksonville Fl.. There is a good
surveyor page on the Internet (David Pascoe)
who happens to be in Florida. Get him if you can.
He calls it like it is. Good Luck!

CapetaniosG

DOUBLE EAGLE
01-18-2003, 01:25 AM
8o
scott
I have a 58yachtfish 1972 have had for 10yrs now ..
you will never be sorry you bought a hatteras ...
really well built and keep their value if maintained...
try to buy one that has been used not just sit at the dock...one that has made long trips generally has been kept mechanically...
I am biased on the 58 but they have the same layout
as the 53 but are much easier to dock because of the
cockpit and run better if you want to go fast[ 15-16knots ]rememeber though it costs 4 times the money
to go a third faster ...hahahahah..oh well sometimes you want to [rough weather ]...
anyway ...the salon and all else size wise is so niceon the 53-58....you can have regular furniture [recliner etc ]
in the salon...feels more like a floating condo....
so much more to say but .....
hope that helps....ask more if you want
bill.....marathon fla

clipper4730
01-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Okay guys now you have me really excited about the 53. So here is the question do think I could find a good one for less than 200K. I also stumbled across a 58 tri cabin on yachtworld. Now that is a nice looking machine. The asking price was 199K I think for a '71 model. Here is another question, haw close to the asking price can the seller expect for an average boat? I mean do most sellers price their boats much higher than they could probably get and hope a sucker comes along or so they can deal or is the asking price pretty close towhat they will take. I guess what I am trying to ask is that in todays market are sellers willing to deal. Anyway thanks for the great responses and I am sure to be back as I narrow my search for the perfect Hatteras.

Thanks again

Scott

davephipps
01-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Scott,

Most sellers will list the boat at something above what they hope to get for the boat. A broker will tell you that most boats, assuming they're in reasonable condition and priced fairly to begin with, will sell at about 95% of what the asking price is. I think the reality is that it depends a great deal on the condition of the boat, what it will take to bring her to mechanically reliable operation and reasonable cosmetics, as well as the sellers circumstances and reasons for selling.

The bottom line as far as you, the individual buyer is concerned, is that the boat is worth what you're willing to pay or can afford to offer. Make an offer after you've done your homework; check values on BucValue.com, and be prepared to negotiate. After the survey you can and should re-negotiate for one final adjustment in the selling price for those mechanical or structural items which were unknown at the time of the original offer and are required for the safe and normal operation of the vessel.

Having been in the market myself this last fall, I can tell you that the asking prices are spread over a wide range;
reflecting the condition and mindsets of the sellers.
There's something for everyone. Look for an early 70's model 53, and I think you'll be happy!

Prime Time IV
01-20-2003, 12:57 AM
Scott...You only go around once so get the most room you can. I have the last 53 ED delivered in 1989. I lived aboard in Vancouver BC for a year. It's the ideal size and you live high enough over the docks that you don't have lookie-lou's peering in your windows. Good Luck.
Ted

jim rosenthal
01-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Lots of good information posted; wish I had had this sort of thing available when I bought my boat.
I agree about David Pascoe; he knows a LOT about Hatteras yachts, he is blunt and truthful, and makes a point of not being beholden to anyone. You will get a good straight survey from him. You might ask him for an engine surveyor recommendation.
The engine survey is ESSENTIAL. Diesels are very expensive to fix. You want to know the problems BEFORE the sale. Do not use any surveyor recommended by any broker involved in the deal. Period. You will get screwed if you do.
As far as price goes, some asking prices are just that, and some are much firmer. Some factors that influence this: if the boat has been on the market for a long time, the price may soften (or the owner may be an unrealistic type who just refuses to believe his boat isn't worth what he's asking). If the boat is a real princess with tons of maintenance records and excellent upkeep, it will sell faster and be worth more. If the boat is an estate sale, you may hit a home run. A friend of mine just picked up a 42 Post SF far under market price in exactly those circumstances.
Typically what happens is you find a boat you like, there's some bargaining about the price, and then the real fun starts, because any offer HAS to be made subject to personal inspection, hull and engine surveys, sea trial, insurability, and financing. All those caveats should be written into the offer so you don't get stuck and lose your deposit or worse. Usually what happens is that the survey(s) turn up something and the seller then either has to adjust the price or the deal falls apart.
BE tough minded and don't agree to buy the boat if they fix something. Don't fall in love witht he boat and decide you have to have it regardless. You will not only get the boat, you will get the shaft as well. Instead, have the repair estimated clearly and deduct it from the price. No one will fix something they just sold and if the repairs aren't done right you will have a hard time getting the repair made good if it was done for someone else. What you want is the money, and have it done yourself.
Any boat is, face it, a high-upkeep item, nearly as bad as a plane. The advantage in a Hatteras or another high-quality well-known classic yacht is it's ability to keep its' value. This is because of its' original quality and the excellent factory backup of these yachts. The reputationt hat other yacht builders wish they had is the one Hatteras already has. And, always think about the next owner after you when you buy a big-ticket item.
I don't mean to sound cynical about all this. I love boats and wish I had bought a Hatteras far sooner than I did (after three other less than satisfactory boats.) But I learned my lessons the hard way, and would like to see other people not make the mistakes- and waste the money- that I did.

CapetaniosG
01-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Jim Rosenthal gave you some good advise. Use it.
Just to give you an example how brokers and Owners
work, the asking price for my 53 Hatteras MY was
$210,000. By the time I was thru with both I bought
the boat for $149k. So the name of the game is bargain
and bargain hard before and after you get a good
survey of the boat. You'll be happy with the 53 MY.

If you happen to find yourself in Rhodes Greece come
and visit LADY NTINA in Mandraki Harbor. Good Luck!

CapetaniosG

double eagle
01-21-2003, 12:19 AM
:eek :rollin
let me jump in on this again....
the guy who got the 53 for 149ooo didnt say where the
boat was when he bought it....
I looked at one in st thomas ...was run by puerto ricans
and it looked like it ...no bash intended...sold for133000...but had to get it back to the states...one engine died on the way and heard he was still working on it ...5 yrs later
many people have diff ideas about what they want on their boat and many have remodeled to suit that ..
many of these changes hav e the effect of lowering the price for resale...some not ...
since you want live aboard ...all the stuff I have for cruising the bahamas etc may not be what you need
but as jim says the next owner may....
my real point is that youneed to be willing to start do do the maintainance etc ...the less you pay the more fixing you have to do ...just be sure you know what you want and need ...ask other hatteras people....like us
the 1510 club is worth it just for the info we give each other on all the fix ups etc
thanks for listening ...let us know when you find one...
cheers double eagle

Well See
01-22-2003, 01:21 AM
give Paul Flannery in Jacksonville a call. I bought my 53 classic thru him. He is very knowledgeable and and did a great job for me when the money was on the table. I'm still happy and we're still great friends. His bus. is Flannery Yacht sales at Sadler Point Marina. I can't say enough about how much we've enjoyed our 53.

tomrealest
01-22-2003, 03:06 PM
I bought my 58 Yachtfish after watching YatchWorld for over a year. I think most of the prices were very high compared to value. A lot of the same boats are still on Yatchworld from last March. I repeat, most are way overpriced. I looked at over a dozen and most were junk. I actually found the boat thru a broker Mike Cherry of Cherry Yatchs in Annapolis, MD who found the boat For me. I would advise you to see at least 6 or 7 boats minimum, preferably more.
I agree with all the cautions that you have read from others. I am almost a year into it and have never bought anything that I have enjoyed more.
Be patient, Bargain hard and be willing to walk away. Chances are there is not another buyer in the wings. But, if you see a lot of boats, you will see a BUY when you come across one.

jim rosenthal
01-23-2003, 07:24 PM
I strongly agree with Tom. Be ready to walk away; especially if you are looking in the winter, especially if you are looking in uncertain economic times. Good buyers with cash do not grow on trees.
I am still good friends with my yacht broker, Eric Horst, owner of Bayport Yachts in Chester, MD. Not only did he work hard to get rid of my previous boats (which were not Hatterases) but when I was ready to buy a new one he helped me find my present boat. In March I will celebrate ten years with Hatteras 36C-391, Blue Note. The right Hatteras is a loyal pal for as long as you want it to be.
PS Watch for the article on the restoration of Blue Note in Soundings, this summer. With photos, they tell me.:eek

double eagle
01-24-2003, 01:03 AM
:rollin
me again again
I looked for 1 1/2 yrs or so and looked at at least 35
different 58's yf....some brokers gaave up on me but
remember you are going to be the owner not the broker.
what I learned with all these ...was that you start to
learn where to look and what to look for ....be sure to take a note book with you ...because you will have them all running together ...and not remember what it was that you really liked but which one was that on...
also boats that are from the fla area are diff ..than
those from up east diff type of enclosures etc..
I was lucky to find mine and I am the second owner ...
I find wherever you go you can usually introduce yourself
to a 53 or 58 owner, and the owners will talk with you .
and tell you about their love affair with their boat ...
if they dont act that way you will know tha thte boat is for sale.....
bill

Spartonboat
02-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Some thoughts on 43' and up.

I have 1972 43' DCFB and I mention this, because you include the 44' in comments. The 43' is a newer engineering design and was around for another 15 years- it had a long production life, while the 44' was at the end of its production period. Good 43's are around at decent prices.

BUC Book prices: The BUC book has the real world prices, at which boats are selling. A banker (or broker) that subscribes to the BUC book, should be able to provide a range of prices from the BUC, at which particular age and size Hatts are selling, not just the YachtWorld asking prices.

Costs:
The presence of Gel-Coat blisters are a given in an older boat and a strip of the gel-coat, blister repair, and "barrier coat" with a water proof bottom paint will run about $200/foot, e.g. mine was approx $8,000 for 43'. Hatts are usually pretty good on blisters, but still have them. 53' $10-11K. If you want to hold your value, then it either should be documented that it has been done, or you should have it done, at some point.

Detroit Diesels: Can be re-kitted in the boat for about $2,000 "a hole" (piston). Old "naturals", e.g. DD 6-71N's with Blowers, but not Turbo-chargers will have a long engine life (2-4,000 hours, maybe more if run a lot) with proper care (lubrication! 40W straight wgt only!!!). Newer engines 1-1,200 hrs is a rebuild point.

Electrical: Old 43's have all 12V systems, while the 53's are more complex with a mix of voltages. More cost and complexity for support.

Live-aboard: A young milliionaire owned my boat and lived aboard, all year round, in Chicago no less (that accounts for the 3 built in space heaters I removed).

Single-Handling: Unless you stay at the dock all the time, I will be surprised if you can single-handle (no deckhand(s) a 53 or 58 footer. In my opinion, the 43' is about as large as can be "single-handled". Hatt's are heavy boats and you will surprised by the effort to pull on a dock line on a windy day. I've owned the boat for 6 years, and last summer a big-blow made it very tough, just to get under way. No way could I have done it on my own, even with this 43'.

Hatts are like old brick homes- they hold their value (no they won't go up), but on a nominal basis, they can nearly hold the price you pay for them, but will require appropriate maintenance.

Storage: Have you factored in the $4-6,000 seasonal storage (a must in the Great Lakes)? If you leave it in the water year round (down south, will you have it hauled, cleaned, etc.

Durability Comment: take a look at ads for new boats in the 43' to 53' sizes and look at the weights. Since all gear and engines weight about the same, where do you think the 5-15,000 pounds go in the lighter boats? The Hull, that's where! Hatts are very heavy and for a reason- they can take a severe pounding. Good yard people will tell you they can take a beating, more than you can.

Ride: My cousin has a slightly larger boat, about 44', and last summer, when we took a ride, he was astonished at the ride in a Great Lakes 3-4' chop at full cruise speed. At first he would not go forward, because he thought we'd bounce and throw spray. He just could not believe how well she rode. Hatts are a good sea boat.

How's that core dump. Good luck!

50 years on the Great Lakes.

jim rosenthal
02-02-2003, 12:21 PM
I guess how much room you need depends on how many of you there are and how much of your stuff from shore comes with you onto the boat. I still think a 53' boat is too big, particularly to singlehand, and I agree that a 43' boat, especially a motor yacht with all that freeboard and sail area is about the upper limit. (Two years ago I was coming into my slip in my 36" convertible, a small boat with minimal freeboard, and the wind pinned her against the catch rope on the wrong side of the slip. It was raiing, and in the process of lassoing a piling on the right side of the slip and pulling her over against the wind I fell and injured my left hand which has yet to recover. I still take my boat out alone, but now when I come in if I think there's going to be a problem I call in for docking assistance. It's easy to get injured on the water and often there's no one around to help.)
I think getting out on the water alone is one of the most rewarding experiences a boater can have, especially if you love your boat and trust it to get you home. It's great to have company out there, but I don't let the lack of it stop me from getting out. That is probably the reason I tend to think smaller is better- a boat in the fifty-foot class demands a crew of at least two- not just another person on board but someone who knows what they're doing. Two amateurs can get in trouble real fast out there.
With all that, good luck! and let us know what you end up with. Lots of people dream about living on a boat and never do it. Good for you that you are going to make your dream a reality.

DOUBLE EAGLE
02-05-2003, 01:20 AM
:rollin 8o :smokin >: :eek :lol :hat
WELL....
IS THE GLASS HALF FULL ...OR EMPTY
THE BIGGER THE boat the less it blows in the wind ...
they weigh more etc....
i have the 58 yf...
i have brought it in and could have thrown a line to shore but hav ealways had my wife to help...
from the lower helm you can go out the side door and toss a line ...
also you can nose into most slips....
is ther e a dock master at your marina ....most will help.
and ther e is always someone tha t want to gofora free ride ....if its a lady thats even better.....if she owns
a boat even better ...go on hers......hahahahah

bill

hal
02-12-2003, 09:54 PM
May I jump in? I am thiinking of a 48'YF for my family.The five of us have grown out of the 10 meter Trojan. Does anyone have any experience with this hull?

Bud
02-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Scott, I have a Hatteras 44' Tri Cabin and lived aboard for 5 years. Two adults, and eventually....two children.
It's a wonderful liveaboard. I'd be happy to email more if it'll help. drpochoa@gci.net good luck!

pvbud
04-25-2003, 04:36 AM
Hello Scott, we have a 1968 Hatteras 44, powered with twin Detroit V871's all in very good mechanical condition. Service manuals and history are available. Included is a stern mounted Boston Whaler with a 25 HP Mercury outboard ready to go.

If you have any interest, we could drive the boat from Juneau to Vancouver, British Columbia get a new first class topside paint job and deliver it to you in Vancouver, or a nearby port of your choice for overland shipment. Price about $145K. Happy sailing !
Bud
907 790-9343

scotty do dah
04-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Here's my two-bits worth! Don't over look the 1965 thru 1969 50 MY, its almost as big as the 53'er, but more reasonable to buy. We purchased one a year ago ( hull #2 ), and have lived aboard since. Before we had lived on a Matthews which we loved, but needed more room, and the manintence on the wood was killing me. We love this boat! I would highly recommend these vessel's Good luck

normmayer
09-27-2003, 01:40 PM
My wife, daughter (12) and I have lived aboard our 1970 44' tri cabin for almost 5 years now and we love it. We looked at many of the more popular 53's and didn't believe you got much more useable space than ours. Yet you still have to pay maintenance, dock fees, and fuel for an extra 9 feet of boat. If you go with a 44, let me know and I can tell you of the modifications we made to our 44 that made it a more comfortable liveaboard. Contact me at Normmayer@fuse.net

Russ Kramer Creative Inc
12-23-2003, 12:46 AM
call me. I lived on my 48 yachtfish for 3 years. russ 727-822-1618.

William J
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
My wife and I recently bought a 52' Sport Deck, and are very happy with the space. These were made later than the 53 and 58, so there was less updating to do. The 52 yacht was made from 1990 to 1999 and the Sport Deck was made 97 and 98. The later years used Cats more and this was a plus for me.

Go aboard a number of boats, check out the layout.

We are glad we bought a Hatteras. I believe we I'll certainly get our money out when the time comes.

Good luck

Bill

sandspur1966
01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
All really good advice, I think the one thing that is clear is that we all have very strong opinions about our own choices in boats and why they work for us.

The advice to go look at as many boats as possible is terrific advice. You will quickly get a feel for which layout works for your needs. For instance, a galley-up layout and separate lower helm/wheelhouse was important to me but perhaps less so to others.

Once you have identified the model and layout that is best for you and ultimately find your girl, while I agree that extensive surveys are essential to the valuation, negotiation and sale process, my experience with purchase surveyors has been mixed, at best, with regard to the specific idiosyncrasies of our old yachts.

I would recommend that once you have found your boat, but before you close on her, you spring for a visit by one of the inarguable experts here that have many decades of Hatteras specific experience. Bruce Morrison is one such person who can evaluate your potential new boat and equally important, develop a refit/repair/maintenance plan specific to that boat... I know I wish like hell someone had given ME this advice before I bought my first, second or even third hatteras :)

34Hatt
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Ummm you Guys do realize this is 10 years old :confused:
I think he may have found a boat or gave up!

MikeP
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow - a 2003 thread reopened yesterday! Surely that's a record of some sort.

Re liveaboard...IMO, bigger is always better! I'm not a year-round liveaboard but I do live aboard for a little over 2 months at a time twice a year. Most of that time I'm on the boat by myself and have to say that I like having the space even though one could, of course, live aboard a much smaller boat.

magnawake
01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
WOW.. I was wondering what the heck was going on....I didnt hardly recognize any of the posters. Funny, but I wasted lots of time. Yeah I Thought my 43 was big until I saw a 53. Man, what a huge boat compared to mine. We are still comfortable in our 43 though. I also like our 3.5 GPH @ 7.5kts.