PDA

View Full Version : Frances

Mike36c
09-05-2004, 04:54 PM
The worst case scenario took place as the eye made landfall in Stuart. Most communication is still down but a friend relayed the following info. The old girl caught the worst of the storm as the eye contracted and moved west she stayed in or near the eyewall for about 14hrs. The surge rose 3 feet over the protective jetty exposing her port side to continuous 70 to 100 mph winds and 5 foot seas which pushed her against a dock piling. To my friend's amazement and mine she still floats. He said she has a 2 to 3 foot gash/hole on her starboard side which went through the rub rail and covering board as she took the beating of her life. I know Hatts are tough but I didn't think she was going to survive this one. Another friend's 45c suffered a gash in her side down to the waterline out in the bahamas, she still floats too. Say a prayer for those who wer'nt so lucky. I'll post before and after photos when the dust settles. Mike

jim rosenthal
09-06-2004, 12:58 AM
...and you too. Anyway she is still on the right side of the water....hope you can get her repaired promptly. We would like to see photos, when you have time to get them.

Genesis
09-06-2004, 01:40 AM
My 45C is rigged for hurricane and awaiting Frances arrival..... we're in Destin, and shouldn't get it too bad, but you never know with these things.....

Spellbound
09-06-2004, 12:06 PM
52' Sportfish has ridden out BOTH Charley and Francis in less than a month. In both cases boat was in the water, many multiple lines attached, fendered completely and many prayers said. Next up seems to be Ivan -- could we possibly go three for three?

Mike36c
09-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Lets hope Ivan passes us by because my dock is gone. More reports have come in and it appears that the Hatt pulled the dock completely down and was forced onto one of the four pilings of a boat lift next door. She then started to push the entire lift over with a boat in it after several 3/4" dock lines (tied to other pilings) just plain snapped in half. Another hour or two of beating and I would of had a large pile of fiberglass and wood. After seeing several large yachts (70' +) on the bottom I'm still amazed she floating. The hurricane blew dirctly down the wide open intracoastal and into herbeam side. Except for a littered cabin (a real mess I hear) and a beach ball size hole in her side there is little other damage. No broken windows, engines and genny are fine, and even the canvas on the half tower remains although the starboard side got banged up as the dock came apart and was blown onto her hullside. I'm returning tomorrow for a full assessment and pics, once power returns I'll post some. Mike

PascalG
09-06-2004, 05:26 PM
the damage seems minimal considering the conditions... good luck with repairs, insurance, etc...

there was a report earrlier on CNN showing marinas in ft pierce totally wiped out... boats piled up into each other.... there was a 53 or 58 hafl sunk listing 30 deg. port rail smashed in, wing door riped out etc..... sad sight

pascal
miami,fl
1970 53my