PDA

View Full Version : Hynautic hydraulic engine controls

Bill Root
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Does anyone else have these hydraulic throttle/transmission controls on their boat? The throttles on mine seem rather stiff, particularly when compared to the mechanical cable controls I had on the 43.

I have bled the system, checked for leaks, changed the fluid and re-pressurized. They are a little better; smooth but still stiff. On the other hand, I haven't been on another boat that has these controls, so I have nothing to compare them to.

Would appreciate hearing from others who have experience with this engine control system. thanks.

eze2bme
07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Bill ... George (Incentive) has these controls. Might try a PM to him.

Bill Root
07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks. I'll try George.

motoryacht lover
07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I have them on my 1995 Viking. I would not describe mine as stiff but they require more effort than my old boat's cable controls. I have never had any problems with them and you implied that the throttles are different from the gears. My gears and throttles behave the same.

captainwjm
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM
same here

Bill Root
07-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I would say that both the throttles and the gear shifts require the same amount of effort to move. It's less noticeable on the gear shifts because I'm generally standing right in front of them when I'm using them to maneuver the boat. When I'm working the throttles I'm generally standing in front of the wheel, reaching over to them.

carolinacoast
07-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I drove a friend's boat 2 weeks ago that was a 54 MY originally and has that same setup. It has more resistance than our cable setup by far.

Bill Root
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like mine are normal. I'll have to learn to live with it.

GJH
07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
It's hard for me to say if they are stiffer or not, as I only know the Hynautics. When set up right, they are easy to move; certainly not as slick as an electronic system.

You usually do not have to bleed these systems, unlike the steering. They have a set of charging valves; the older version had you take off pressure, back down the screws on the charging valves a little then bringing the system back up to pressure and re-set the screws. The newer valves, which can easily replace the old ones are automatic. I had a very stiff throttle control on the starboard side once, and this procedure fixed it.

A terrific source for trouble shooting Hynautic systems is Gary Sorenson at Marine Control Systems, who is also a distributor. He's an excellent Naiad man as well, or almost anything else hydraulic for that matter. 828-508-4201. I got new reservoirs and charging valves from him, and he will guide you through installation.

Bill Root
07-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks, George. Where is Gary located?

eze2bme
07-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Bill ... 828 is an eastern North Carolina area code if that helps.

GJH
07-09-2011, 08:59 PM
He is in Franklin, NC. I quizzed him why up in the hills, he said he was tired of FL and coastal living and it puts him a little more central to his customers. He will do service work too, but is kind of pricey since he charges by the day including travel days.

So the day (which cost me two days) I had him down to New Bern was about half him working and half him teaching me a bunch of stuff. He is excellent at helping out over the phone, which he did a lot of before I even spent a nickel with him. I don't think I'll ever have to have him or anyone else work on my Naiads or hydraulics (unless I am lazy) again since he taught me a lot and is there to talk me through any project. Too bad he is not an internet type of guy like Steve Pooler (spcoolin).

JunkManNY
09-08-2020, 03:20 AM
Anyone have a problem bleeding Hydraulic system? I have a transmission shifter was soft thought it was air in the system, eventually it stopped working , when I try to bleed the system first I pressurize the unit open up the bleeder and nothing comes out I tried different combinations of the shift in forward and reverse no matter what I do no fluid comes out of the lines that go to the slave unit I disconnected the lines off the slave unit and no fluid comes out of the lines, I’m thinking there’s blockage maybe The filter is clogged or the check valve is stuck did anybody experience anything like this?

jmooney
09-08-2020, 09:51 AM
I couldn’t agree more about Gary at Marine Control Systems , he rebuilt my steering cylinder and helped over the phone with the helm pump rebuilds . The hydraulic controls are stiff and get stiffer if more control stations are added , I have heard that four is about the limit. The are very reliable. The bleeding procedure is a little complicated. You need the follow the Hynautic manual procedure.

jim rosenthal
09-08-2020, 04:28 PM
What fluid does Hynautic spec for the controls? If the fluid is too high a viscosity, they will work, but they will be stiff. I think the proper fluid for them is Milspec hydraulic oil, which is rather thin, but check with him.

SKYCHENEY
09-08-2020, 04:31 PM
What fluid does Hynautic spec for the controls? If the fluid is too high a viscosity, they will work, but they will be stiff. I think the proper fluid for them is Milspec hydraulic oil, which is rather thin, but check with him.

No!!! Oil is for steering. Controls are glycol with corrosion inhibitors.

I know a guy who had to replace his whole system because somebody put oil in it.

jim rosenthal
09-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Okay, then. Duly noted. Are there different viscosities of glycol?

SKYCHENEY
09-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Its either ethylene glycol (green) or propylene glycol (blue). Don't mix the two. That is bad as well.

SKYCHENEY
09-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Okay, then. Duly noted. Are there different viscosities of glycol?

No. Its a 50/50 mix with water unless its already been diluted.