PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel treatment

eze2bme
09-05-2004, 01:05 AM
There was an interesting advertorial in this month's issue of BOAT/US's magazine on Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. My experience is normally: "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is not what it's cracked up to be." Has anyone used this treatment? It's made by Starbrite.

It says that it's "based on naturally occuring enzymes whick disperses harmful microbial growth, cleans the fuel delivery system and combustion chambers, stabalizes fuel chemistry and reduces engine emmissions." It also states that using this treatment will stabalize diesel fuel for two years.

Thanks for any thoughts.

jim rosenthal
09-06-2004, 01:12 AM
..use big filters and change them when needed. Keeping diesel fuel clean is one of those areas where there's a lot of stuff out there and a lot of claims. I have yet to be convinced on any of it except the need for very good filtration in multiple stages. I use Fleetguard filter systems that I got from Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine in CA and have had no problems as yet. I did not have good experiences with Racors. I have also used Pri-D on occasion but not recently. So far, so good. I do use additives when I am laying the boat up.

Walter Pereira
09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Jim, I have the large Racor's on my 1982 48 my (6/92's) and they do seem to work as I need to change them frequently. Unfortunately, there was a full load of diesel on the boat when I bought it last fall. Since it was of unknown age or source, I had the main tank (490 gal) "polished". Well it still makes the Racors black in short order (about 3-4 hrs) I only have 1/4 tank left to use us before I refill with new fresh fuel and hopefully, it will help my problem. My concern is the 105 gal in the small tank. Do you think I should dump it (not literally), use it with plenty of filtration , add chemicals... I've use Racors for years and I like that they are available easily just about anywhere, but if there is something better, I might be game to try it... let me know your thoughts..

P.S. read your story in Soundings,, very nice..

Walt