PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 1976 Hatteras 42 Convertable

bttocs
09-01-2004, 04:25 PM
There is a 1976 42 Convertible for sale on my dock. The owner is asking $160K. It has Cummins 903 diesels with about 3000 hrs on them. The boat has been through a complete restoration (less engine rebuild) and has a lot of custom work done on it. It is in really nice shape.

I own a 33 Tiara Flybridge and I am toying with the idea of moving up. I don't know which of the older Hat's are more desirable and which to stay away from. I know the 45 convertible is a good model, but not sure about the 42??

The owner quotes the boat will cruise at 20-21 knots with 33 gph fuel rate. I haven't toured the boat yet, but the only thing that strikes me about the layout is the v berth up front. I have that with my Tiara, and in a bigger boat I would like to move up to a double bed.

I am also interested in the ride in rough seas. I was faced with traveling about 60 miles in White capped 4 ft seas this summer in my Tiara and opted to avoid the trek. My Tiara can handle it at about 15 knots, but it is not a smooth comfortable ride. I would assume the Hat would still be doing about 18-20 knots and be comfortable, is that true?? A sea trial will go a long way to giving me a feel for the answer.

Bob Bradley
09-01-2004, 05:48 PM
In 1977, Hatt changed the interior layout, opening up the salon to the galley substantially in the process. The layout in 76 and earlier was like walking down a hall way to the galley. Much nicer in the later models. They also added a larger tournament style flybridge in '77.

In '79 they went to the 43' (my boat) with the same nice open interior. In '84, they added 2 feet of cockpit to make the 43 a 45. The 45 is probably the nicest of the bunch, but you'll pay 50 - 80k more for that. Those Cummins are expensive to repair also. I shopped for a '77 or '78 42' for about 2 years before I bought my 43'. I'm glad I waited.

Genesis
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Don't forget that Hargrave redesigned the hulls in the early 80s and there is a significant difference in efficiency.

A friend of mine has basically the same boat as mine (45C) but a few years older, and his is considerably slower than mine.

I like my '85 a lot, but there's a definite price premium associated with the 45s....

jim rosenthal
09-02-2004, 12:52 AM
..with the later 43 boat. If you look on the Sam's web site, you will find brochures for most of these boats which will let you compare the interior setups. The later boats are far better. The 903 Cummins are good motors, but they ARE expensive to fix- there are fewer of them than Detroits- and I suspect there are fewer people who know them well. And they are heavy, which will make for a slow boat. As far as punching through big seas at 18kts......well.....maybe.

jim rosenthal
09-02-2004, 01:02 AM
There are a lot of these on boats.com, all over the place in price. One of interest is a 79 43C with allegedly rebuilt 6v92s in the Virginia Beach area for $110,000. I think you can do better than a 42C for 160 with tired motors.

Genesis
09-02-2004, 01:24 AM
.... will NOT get the same speed. That's the hull efficiency difference, and its significant.

Those kinds of "lowball" price deals are out there. I know folks who have bought 'em, and have been darn happy for what they spent. But be aware that there's almost always a good reason for that number.....

Mike36c
09-02-2004, 02:26 AM
One of my previous boats was a Tiara, It was a fine crafted boat that holds it value well, was great for inland waterways but didn't take the seas well. I got pounded in anything but flat calm. One season in the Bahamas and she was up for sale. There is no comparison between the Hatt and a Tiara when it comes to blue water and I wouldn't trade my old girl for any "modern" sportfishing boat. Find a nice old Hatteras and you'll be very confident when the seas kick up. Hopefully my girl will prove herself as she is sitting in the water, by herself, at ground zero in front of Frances. To be continued.......

Genesis
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Properly prepared, you've got a better crack at survival with the Hattie than basically anything else that floats...

That thing may be coming this way, although the land will blunt it a bit before it gets here. Still, I'm not happy....

Bob Bradley
09-02-2004, 11:48 AM
I hope you get missed, but if not, Godspeed. Add lines, chafing gear, extra fenders - you know the routine - make sure batteries are fresh in case you lose dockside electricity, then go home and let whatever happens happen. Don't get yourself hurt or worse for a boat. It's times like this when I start thinking that the Dec - Mar offseason in Conn isn't all that bad after all. We'll be praying for you guys.
Bob

bttocs
09-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this boat is worth considering, but not the most desirable model. The new hull shape that happened in the early 80's is probably the biggest feature to look for in a used Hat.

The hull shape aside, this boat has a completely redone custom interior. I don't know if the layout change that happened in 77 has been incorporated. It's worth seeing it to find out. This boat is set up for Tuna fishing and is rigged out quite well. I don't tuna fish, so its not that big a deal to me. I think the owner hasn't had success selling it because of the age and hours on the 903's don't jibe well with the price and tuna set up. I heard someone was interested but figured on about $100k to but in new diesels so the boat could do long distance tuna fishing.

If anyone is interested, the boat is listed on boats.com for 179.9 in location: North Shore, MA

Bob Bradley
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Here's a link to a 77/78 salon, looking forward.
www.yachtworld.com/core/l...me=Photo+3 (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_display_photo.jsp?slim=quick&&photo=3&boat_id=1019600&boatname=Hatteras+sportfish&photo_name=Photo+3)

Here's an earlier model same shot (with lower station).
www.yachtworld.com/core/l...name=Salon (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_display_photo.jsp?slim=quick&&photo=7&boat_id=1274251&boatname=Hatteras+Convertible&photo_name=Salon)

Here's another earlier model same shot (without lower station).
www.yachtworld.com/core/l...name=Salon (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_display_photo.jsp?slim=quick&&photo=7&boat_id=1190427&boatname=Hatteras+Convertible&photo_name=Salon)

Here's a 43'. It's a mirror image of the 42', but again with the open area above the galley. Much nicer than the earlier 42 models:
www.yachtworld.com/core/l...name=Salon (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_display_photo.jsp?slim=quick&&photo=6&boat_id=1142265&boatname=Hatteras+Convertible&photo_name=Salon)

Lots of 42's and 43's, some inexpensive, on yachtworld site.

garyd
09-02-2004, 10:32 PM
There is a 1989 41 hat for sale on this site. I believe the interior needs to be done. But that's the lowest cost part. Asking only 172,500 with rebuilt engines. It needs some work but I'd rather have a 1989 41 Hat than any year 42 Hat.

Of course I own a 1986 41 and love it!

It's easy to make the interior of a boat look fantastic to help sell it. I'd rather have newer or rebuilt engines and a fantastic looking Bilge, and replace the couch and carpet. Mechanical gear should be in perfect running order no excuses, if you are not a mechanic. Anyone can pick out carpet and a couch. Not everyone can manage a rebuild or repower job.

Buyer beware, be careful, take it for a serious sea trial. Leave the ladies on the dock. Get it good and warmed up ease it up to WOT check all the guages turn the wheel as fast as possible to port and then immediately back to starboard. Listen for any noises, yes the boat will heel over and back but it won't get any worse than this even in big seas.

Make sure you really take it through its paces ease the power down watch for engine temp to be stable and not overheat.

You may need to put a deposit down prior to this sea trial, just make it refundable if sea trial is unacceptable.

Go down into the bilge after the sea trial look for fluids and smell for things that shouldn't be there, You can't hide anything major on a serious sea trail.

Take the approach that there is something wrong with this used boat and try to find it. If after close inspection you find nothing or very little, then buy it for a fair price and you will have found yourself a geat boat that will give you years of enjoyment

Have Fun Shopping!

garyd

saltshaker36
09-03-2004, 01:24 AM
You need to determine what you want before anyone can say what boat might be best. The 42 is a great boat. It has a much smaller interior and engine room than the 43. However it has a much larger cockpit than the 43 so if you are serious about offshore fishing, you won't like the 43's small cockpit. The 42 is a better sea boat than the 43 but both have a respectable ride. The 43's have a small planning surface and tend to ride high in the bow. As far as hull efficiency, I knoww of 2 42's that repowered with 430HP C series Cummins and both cruise effortlessly @ 25-26kts and top out around 30kts. You would need the larger 535hp or better Cummins to achieve that in a 43. So the 43 and 42 are very different boats.

Now if you want to step up a bit, The newer 45 is the same as the 43 with the extra 2 feet added to the cockpit. Much better ride and a lot better resale. Of course this makes the price of the boat quite a bit higher.

My choice (and I own one) would be a 46 Hatt much better ride than the 42, 43 or 45. Nice big engine room and a very roomy interior. I repoered mine 2 years ago with 550HP 6V92's and she moves just fine I can cruise 21kts @1950 and turn 26kts wide open and I am slightly underpropped. If you are serious about spending 160K+ on the 42, drop me a line I may be interested in selling my 46 for not much more than that. We just had our first child and I can't seem to find time too get out on the water. I hate to let her go but she will go down hill fast if I don't have the time to use and care for her.

Jack Sardina
jack.sardina@comcast.net

hATTISFACTION
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
SALTSHAKER...WELL STATED .

jim rosenthal
09-07-2004, 08:14 PM
..personally I always consider the interior of the boat the throwaway part unless someone just did it over to my taste- which has never happened. An interior is the cheapest part of a boat to replace, which is why you occasionally see boats that are unsound and unsafe with new interiors. Tarted up to sell to a sucker, unfortunately.
I agree completely with doing a serious sea trial. It should be a TRIAL...not a walk in the park. Insist that the listing broker accompany you. I had a broker nearly refuse to go on one, in the past. I should have suspected something then, I didn't, I was an idiot. the boat was a POS and later I realized why he didn't want to go on it. He wasn't sure we'd come back. Of course, it was fine for me to go.
Whatever boat you pick from the above, if you buy one you'll have a Hatteras, which is something only seven thousand other people can say ( out of how many billion?); good luck and have fun.

NANPO 41
09-08-2004, 01:00 AM
I am presently on my 2nd Hatteras. I previously had a 34' and now I have a 41tc. When I brought the 41 home a friend looked at it sitting in my slip and commented to me that I have been truely fortunate as there aren't many people that can say they have been blessed with the chance to own two Hatts in their lifetime. He was exactly right. You won't regret buying a Hatteras whichever model you decide is right for you.
Fred

SKAMMTOO
09-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I have to agree with NANPO. I owned a 41TC for a few years and have owned a 50' Motoryacht for the past ten years.

Very fortunate, indeed!

K:rollin