PDA

View Full Version : fuel consumption

Gia Marie 41
07-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I will be moving my boat from Wilmington, NC to Lake Seneca in upstate NY. via the ICW, Hudson river, & Erie canal. My boat is a 41 Twin Cabin with 6V53 Detroits.

I have spent very littel time running the boat since I purchased her in 2003 so fuel consumption is a bit of a mystery. Has anyone made this trip or a portion of this trip who can estimate what my fuel cost should be.

Any information would be appreciated.

Gia Marie :confused:

ADaily3224
07-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Gia,

I can only give you partial information. I have made a trip from Boston MA. to Buffalo three times so I can fill in a few blanks. I had a 37 Hatteras J/T 671N's which probably used a little more fuel than your boat per hour but I'm not sure?
Coming into New York City try to make it the 17 miles up the Hudson to Terri Town NY. Nice Marina right under the Tappan Zee Bridge. The trip to Troy NY just South of the first lock into the Mohawk System will take you a full day and about 250 Gal of fuel. You can fill up in Troy, it's very convenient. Have fun with the New York Diesel prices. Anyway if you enter Federal Lock 1 into the system you will make it to maybe Amsterdam, only about 37 miles, lots of locks, very beautiful though. You won't use much fuel, maybe 40 or 50 Gal. Next day can get you to maybe Newark NY, if you are lucky, just west of the Montezuma Swamp, don't get caught in there at night. This will eat about 100 more Gal of fuel. Next day you should with any luck get to Syracuse, Baldwinsville, time to fill up. I took on 250 Gal. From there I think you are two more days to Seneca Lake, not many locks, 10 MPH so you may use 150 or so Gallons, maybe a bit more. That's it, long answer to a short question. By the way it's a very beautiful trip, too bad more people don't do it.
Tony D