PDA

View Full Version : 43 DC waterheater

rbelus
08-10-2004, 04:05 AM
I need to replace the original Economaster 12 gallon water heater on my 1980 43 DC. SAM recommended a Seaward 11 gallon. Has anybody tried the Isotemp 13.2 gallon (29.5"L x 15.4"D)? Any other suggestions or comments?

Ron B.

Jaxfishgyd
08-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Know it was a 3 day project when I had to change out my heater last year. I had a 19 gal heater that went bad.
But I only have a 15" opening to get it in/out of and the existing heater was just over 16" wide. I had to take it apart to remove it. No idea how old or how it was installed.
I ended up installing a 12 gal "Home Depot" heater as it's cheap ($150?) and was easy to install. Plus when it goes bad I will then have a very easy and semi cheap job to replace it.

salty
09-08-2004, 07:53 PM
just replaced mine with a 12g raritan. minor pipe adjustments, but otherwise fine.

38 aft hatteras

hATTISFACTION
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
on my last Hatteras , a 41C, I replaced the raritan when it blew with a common 12 gallon (Rheems)unit right from a plumbing supply house. Probably like the one mentioned in the previous note bought right from Home Depot for $150. I sold that boat 15 years later and that water heater was just like new. I did sand it down and add a couiple of coats of paint befor I put it in. Unless you are running a heater coil off of the engine or generator cooling system the regular small water heaters from a commercial house work fine and are a bargain for the price.

jim rosenthal
09-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I agree with buying a cheap one from HD or a plumbing supply store. That said, I have a Seaward with the antifreeze heating coil which has worked fine for years. Powerboat Reports looked at water heaters a few years ago, and the IsoTemp ones are very good but pricey as I recall. I think basically if you winterize them yearly, put clean water in the tank, and don't have them on when the tank runs dry, they will last a very long time indeed. Usually the biggest hassle is, as you say, getting them in and out without having to remove an engine.