PDA

View Full Version : Norcold Refer.

maynardrupp
09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
We have an 86 36' Convert. with a Norcold DE-828 refrigerator. One of the 2 compressors failed,(lower one). I bought a replacement cooling unit which includes a compressor, cooling plate, and condensor. It is all charged and ready to go. Norcold faxed me a drawing and I had our unit to look at. After installing all the new stuff I was shocked at how much it shook and vibrated. It seemed to cool fine so I left it for 24 hours before I tried for a replacement unit. Shaking stopped, but so did the cooling. Pried the unit out of the cabinetry again and discovered that the shaking had caused one line to break and we lost the charge. Replacement unit came and the lady asked if I mounted the compressor upright or upside down. I, of coures said "upright, like my old one and the drawing you sent". WRONG answer. "The new units must be mounted upside down or they will shake the whole boat", said the lady. How on earth would anyone know that. The new, upside doen, unit works great. I sure wish they would throw a piece of paper in the box to explain this . We, of course, would like to have replaced this old unit, but the new one is 1" taller. This boat doesn't have 1/8" to spare on any side and a cabnitry mod. isn't possible without tearing out most of the existing galley. So if you need to rebuild your old Norcold DE 828 unit, remember to invert the compressor when mounting it.

Banshee36
09-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Norcold,
An expensive necessary evil. They cost alot of money to buy, they cost alot of money to fix. When my third norcold goes to the dump I will replace it with a taylor refrigerator. It it like one in your home and is dual voltage and around the same price as a Norcold.
So far the one I picked up at west marine a damaged for $50 bucks is working great, minus the fact I had to cut two great big holes in the bulkhead so they could move the required amount of air. They cooling fans added to the compressor and evap coil seem to help.
JW