PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water pump stator

Matt21401
09-06-2004, 10:52 PM
The fresh water pump (for sinks & showers ... not engines) on my 81 53 MY went out. I took the pump apart expecting to find a bad impeller. Instead I found the water is driven by a rubber stator. This is one of the craziest contraptions I've ever seen, and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how it works. I bought a replacement stator and installed it per the manufacturers instructions. Water is pumping again, but the pump's circuit breaker keeps tripping. Wondering if I didn't install it correctly and there is too much resistance between the curly-q shaft that comes out of the motor and the stator. Anyone have any clues what might be going on?

Matt

dmohring
09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Call Galley Maid in Ft Lauderdale. Their tech support is excellent and happy to help.

DLCameron2
09-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Take the new stator back off and polish the bronze shaft with a strip of terry cloth towel and some car wax. This will clean the "old stator" material off of the shaft. Let us know if that "fixes" it. DC

jim rosenthal
09-07-2004, 12:49 AM
and could never get it to work right. I finally gave up and got a regular displacement-type pump.The GM pumps must be good, because Hatteras used them for years on lots of boats, but I could never get used to it or get it to work properly. Good luck.
I have a Groco WSP-80 now- expensive but works well, quiet, and totally rebuildable if need be.

Matt21401
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I cleaned and polished the pump shaft and everything seems to be working.

Matt

Classica
04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Hey, I just had this problem ...glad this thread is still out there. I replaced the stator and can't get it to prime. It actually runs a bit then bogs to a stop (motor checks out fine when bench tested). I'm assuming I need to clean the rotor with polish? And like the original post - I do not know how this stator works. Can I assume the rotor turns inside the stator but the stator itself is stationary?

Boatnut
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Perhaps if someone listed the Make and Model number someone with pump could tell you what you have, and possibly how it works.

Fair Well
04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I have these pumps on all 4 of my heads and they all work fine ( just don't put it in the head unless you eat it first) a bit noisy but easy to work on and a good starter shop can rebuild the motor. Have thought about changing to something else but don't know what would be better.:confused:

captddis
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey, I just had this problem ...glad this thread is still out there. I replaced the stator and can't get it to prime. It actually runs a bit then bogs to a stop (motor checks out fine when bench tested). I'm assuming I need to clean the rotor with polish? And like the original post - I do not know how this stator works. Can I assume the rotor turns inside the stator but the stator itself is stationary?

You need to fill the cavity with water before trying to run the pump. If the pump bogs down then the stator may have spun. Take the stator out and check the condition. If still good then reinstall and remove priming plug and fill with water. It might tale a few refills.

77HATT38671
04-11-2013, 11:22 PM
You may have a defective check valve in the hose from the fresh water storage tank to the pump. This check valve keeps the water from running back into the tank after you prime the pump as described above. On my pump (an MR 7, 12 volt system) the check valve was clogged with calcium. I disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled it and it worked fine. The fact that the motor boggs down suggests more than a priming problem. On my pump I can check the strength of the motor by removing the stator housing and stator and holding the curly shaft with my hand (check for burrs, of course). If you can stop or slow the motor, it's probably weak and in need of rebuilding.

Will
04-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Galley Maid fresh water pumps are quiet and very reliable but they will not work with air in the suction side. You need to prime the pump all the way back to the tank. When needed, I prime mine by filling up the water tank over flowing the fill pipe and quickly replacing the cap. This runs water out of the vent pipe leaving a head of water higher than the water pump. I then open the bleed off plug or valve on top of the water pump until solid water comes out. Pump is then primed.

Hope the procedure works for you too.

Will