PDA

View Full Version : KVH M1 Problem

JLR
12-19-2010, 08:02 AM
My recently installed KVH M1 has a problem.. When I select a channel from the guide and then select that channel, the TV screen appears for about 1 or 2 seconds as if the receiver has been shut off. In other words, the picture looks like all snow. It is not a tv problem as it happens on each of the TV's connected to the M1. Any ideas why when changing channels in this fashion, it would create this issue?

OBXTucker
12-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Assuming you're using DirecTv. If so, try hitting the red reset button behind the cover on the front panel. If the TVs haven't been used in a while, the dish may need a reset.

GJH
12-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I've never had this issue on my M2, which is virtually the same system. It may be related to switching satellites (?). You should give KVH a call tomorrow, they are usually very helpful.

JLR
12-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks - Jeff and George. I'll give em both a shot. Pretty weird.

OBXTucker
12-19-2010, 09:37 AM
KVH is very helpful and I'd also recommend a call if this doesn't work. When was the last time it worked? I ask because I have the M4 and if I don't use it for more than 30-45 days, I normally Have to do a reset. Now, my screens don't go fuzzy, but this may be your issue as well.

Good luck! You need to get them working for bowl games and playoffs!!

Fanfare
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
My KVH and DirecTv tuner for the boat are turned off and disconnected (protection from voltage surges) nine months of the year. Most years when I arrive on board they don't receive. The first thing to do is unplug and turn off antenna and tuner for 30 seconds or so. Turn all back on and see if the satellite signal and programming is acquired. Sometimes all that is needed is for the units to acquire an upgrade in software. Often this helps. If not, call DirecTv and ask them to send a reset to your unit. This usually fixes it.

Because I have no phone line to my boat my receiver does not call home as so many do. I think DirecTv just wants to know what I am doing. And maybe where I am, as these units can't tell. Most licenses require you to be in the USA. As long as you say you are in the USA they are happy.

Tivo units that are hacked to never call home are available on Ebay and other places. I have one that can record about 450 hours of programming on its hard drive. Very useful for when the KVH unit breaks as it did last spring.

JLR
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
The unit worked fine two weeks ago. I'll try the reset. However, it is kind of strange because it is not as if it is losing the satellite signal and says no signal, the screen actually goes to all snow for a second or two as if the power had been cut to the receiver and then returns just fine. Once again, it only happens when changing channels when selected from the guide and pressing the select button--not when using the channel up or down button.

JLR
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
KVH - not surprisingly, surmised that the problem is with the modulator I am using between the TV's and the Receiver and not the receiver. I'll have to fiddle around and see if that is the case but I frankly doubt it.

GJH
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
That surprises me, and doesn't make any sense to me either. The modulator can certainly affect picture quality, but what does it know about you changing channels? Does the receiver output a weaker signal when changing channels in this manner? I'd bother them some more for a better explanation or better answer.

JLR
12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Will do.

OBXTucker
12-20-2010, 10:54 PM
If you have the ability to hook a tv directly up to the receiver (taking the modulator out of the equation), that will definitely narrow down the problem.

Kind of like the conversations I have with Comcast when I have internet connection issues.

Customer Service: "Do you have it connected to a wireless router?"

Me: "Yes, but while my connection to the wifi is fine, I have no connection leaving the house".

Them: "Well, disconnect the wifi and connect your computer directly to the our router".

Me: "Ok....now how does the connection look?"

Them: "Hmmmm....It appears there's a problem with our router, we'll have a tech come take a look.How does 2 weeks from Thursday between 8am and 5pm work for you?"

Me: "I just spent 40 minutes on hold and 20 minutes with a "tech" to learn that there's something wrong with my equipment? I'll bring it in to the service center and exchange it"

Them: "OK. Would you mind taking a brief exit survey?"

Me: "Click"

Fortunately for you, KVH is MUCH better than Comcast! :)

JLR
12-21-2010, 06:13 AM
A bit of a pain but clearly the way to eliminate the modulator as the problem.