PDA

View Full Version : New AC Compressor, how bad will this hurt?

Top Shelf
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
After 15 years of faithful service the Lun-Aire Digital controller in my guest stateroom went on the fritz (I'm told). Evidently it it kept cycling between AC and heat, finally killed the reversing valve and burned up the compressor. I'm told I need a new compressor and control unit. This unit is relatively small for the small area it cools. 6K BTU. Anyone have any idea or similar experience as to what this may cost? Thx.

jim rosenthal
09-10-2004, 12:30 AM
The problem with this is that when the compressor goes, it generally scatters metal through the system and which means a short life expectancy for the evaporator/airhandler unit as well...I don't know if Lunaire is still in business. You are probably better off replacing the entire system, as rough as that sounds, rather than putting a new compressor or compressor chassis into an old system. If this is a split system, they may want to pull new copper lines through as well. My guess is that to replace an entire 6,000BTU unit would be around 3 grand, but I am not sure.

PascalG
09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I recently replaced a 16k compressor, cost was $ 475 plus 4 hours of labor.

FWIW, I was quoted $1500 for a new 16k cruisair condensing unit plus labor. (the 53s have splits). Allin one system are cheaper than splits if that's what you have

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53my

Top shelf
09-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, yes this is a split system in a 48 CNV. New compressor (6K BTU), controls, labor and 2 year warranty....Just got the call $2200.00......

PascalG
09-10-2004, 02:09 PM
if they are only replacing the compressor, that'sVERY expenxive... by control, do you mean upgrading the control from rotary to electornic? even with that, it shouldn't be that high...

or are they replacing the entire condensing unit (compressor/cooling coil/control box)... even if they are, it still seems steep compared to what I was quoted, $1500 plus labor for a 16k ... labor is about 3 to 4 hours depending on how easy it is to access...

you may want to get a second quote..

campbellde
09-10-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree with Pascal. I replaced a compressor myself on a 16,000 Cruiseair. Contractor's price on the compressor was about $175 3 years ago.

Top Shelf
09-10-2004, 04:10 PM
OK, thanks for the reply's. It seems the consnesus is this guy is real pricey......does anyone have a good AC reference for me in the Boca Raton / Ft. Lauderdale area? Thx.

PascalG
09-10-2004, 06:26 PM
the guys I used are in Miami and I dont' think they service boats in broward or PB.

I had bookmarked this site a few months ago
www.beardmarine.com/airco...atalog.htm (http://www.beardmarine.com/airconditioning-catalog.htm)
tehy're up in Palm Beach I think...

pascal

Top Shelf
09-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks Pascal, they were recomended along with the CO. that gave me the original quote. I'll give them a call as well.....