PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Windlass and Rode

dwaynec
12-26-2003, 07:48 PM
I have a 72 48 Yachtfish that is in need of a new windlass. It currently has a Powerwinch 650 with a nylon/chain rode. 5/8" nylon and 3/8" chain. Problem is, the 650 is out of production and the company informed me that all extra parts have been eliminated.

Since a replacement is required I would like some info on what you might suggest as being an appropriate anchoring system I should go with. Here is what I currently have.

Anchor 45lb danforth type. No bow pulpit but a bow roller installed.
(Dead) Powerwinch 650 windlass.
300' nylon rode with 10' 3/8 proof coil chain.

Currently we boat on the Upper Mississippi River at Rock Island, IL, but am planning on retireing in the near future and heading to where the winters are warmer.

These are my questions... What brand of windlass do you recommend I should look at? Should I stick with the combo rode or convert to all chain? Is the Danforth type anchor my best choice, or should I add a pulpit and convert to a plow or claw type anchor? If I stick to the Danforth type, would I be ok with the current anchor or does it need to be bigger? Would it be worthwhile to buy a Fortress?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
D.Wayne

Genesis
12-26-2003, 07:58 PM
I have the vertical capstan IDEAL on my boat and like it.

Its a HORSE, which is what you want. I also have a pulpit though.

I currently use a Fortress, but am going to change over to a Delta this coming spring for a primary anchor. The Fortress is fantastic when it hooks, but the problme with it is that sometimes it doesn't - its just too light, and adding a lot of chain to it will solve that problme but creates a new one - the chain can get ahead of the anchor on the way down and foul it - then it won't set at all.

The Delta doesn't have that problem, and neither would a claw (e.g. a Bruce)

The Fortress, however, has held through some AMAZING blows that we've been anchored out in..... once its set it just doesn't let go.

I'd consider having a pulpit installed and going with something like a Delta, CQR or Bruce as a primary anchor, and perhaps getting a BIG Fortress as a "storm" hook.

Mike
12-27-2003, 06:43 AM
West marine has a great book that covers everything you ever wanted to know about anchors, "the Complete book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz (2nd edition)(CMP books) This is a must read if you are serious about anchoring. It gives you the "why" and the "how", along with enough data to help you devise a setup to match your needs. Best $30 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Spartonboat
12-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Understand from BoatUS (now West Marine) that Maxwell is (or was 2-3 years ago) the windlass of choice for Hatteras. This was confirmed by a call to Maxwell.

Also, since around 50' is their "smallest" yacht, I believe that chain is their production rode of choice when delivered.

Rope rode is probably OK for the Great Lakes, but experienced boaters in the Bahamas, etc. will probably suggest chain is best for abrasion resistance.

Interested to see further posts...

50 years on Great Lakes...

dwaynec
12-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have pretty much limited my selection of brands of windlass to Ideal and Maxwell. I kind of like the idea that Ideal has been around for more years than I have, and will still service windlasses that are also older than I am. It is reassuring to know that when several thousand dollars are spent on a piece of equipment, that it can be repaired. That is one reason why I would never consider another Powerwinch. Does anyone know how Maxwell is when it comes to repair?

I am curious about what size chain to get. Is 3/8" adequate? Is it too much? I have done some research but it almost seems that only experience can provide the answer.

Thanks, again.

D.Wayne

jim rosenthal
12-28-2003, 01:58 AM
Both the Ideal and the Maxwell are excellent pieces of gear which if properly serviced will last a long time. I will put in a plug also for the Hinz book- it is the BEST account of this complex subject I have ever seen, and anchoring tackle is a pet interest of mine.
I think your idea of carrying a Fortress AND a plow type anchor is very sound. I would suggest a SPADE or Delta instead of the Bruce, based on what I've read. They seem to work in a larger variety of bottom materials.
I also would suggest you look through the tests in Powerboat Reports and Passagemaker magazine. The trawler folks know a lot about anchoring. If you look at what a Nordhavn or Delta or Cape Horn carries in the way of ground tackle, you will get some excellent ideas.
I think rope rodes are fine if you inspect them frequently, carry spares, and turn them end-for-end regularly. I use 35ft of heavy stainless chain and 250ft of 9/16 nylon, but I do not have a windlass. I carry a small Fortress as a lunch hook, a big Fortress for overnights, and a large SPADE which I have yet to try out- I haven't had it that long. One of the big advantages of both the aluminum SPADE and Fortress anchors is their relative lightness, and that they don't corrode.
Finally, one problem with a chain rode is that if the windlass does not work and you have to pick it up by hand, the weight is much more than that of a combined rode. Hinz makes a good argument for a manual horizontal windlass such as the SL Hyspeed. They are just about bulletproof, and don't depend on power. Even though they are manual, they are amazing pieces of equipment. About the only thing that can go wrong is dropping the handle overboard.

CRABBY PATTY
12-28-2003, 03:16 AM
dwaynec:

I have the same boat and Windlass as you.

Just restored the Powerwinch to better than NEW in a few night's.. Are the gears bad or just the motor?? The motor is just a car starter motor and can be rebuilt and any Auto-Electric Shop for 60.00..

I'de hate to see you throw away such a beautiful winch..

I just started a website to document the restoration of
our 1972 48 Yachtfish and so friends from our marina can follow our progress over the winter here in CT..

Take a look at how wonderful this windlass is after 30
years of exposure to the salt air have been removed
and powder coated in high gloss clear.. www.reelcolors.com/hatteras_002.htm (http://www.reelcolors.com/hatteras_002.htm)

If you chose to repair yours , I'de be happy to walk you through it over the phone..

Good Luck! Tom :hat
www.reelcolors.com (http://www.reelcolors.com)

dwaynec
12-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Tom,
I have had no problems with the motor and the gearcase. The problem item is the chain stripper. For some reason or another the tip of the stripper broke off. Since the end was no longer smooth, it got caught in the rope rode and bent. I called Powerwinch and requested a replacement stripper. That is when they informed me that I was outa luck because they had eliminated their spares.

I agree that the 650 is a neat little windlass. Everything is above the deck, and it is stronger than a bull. Only problem I have is non-availability of replacement parts.

I have been checking your website from time to time to see what you have accomplished with your YF.

Thanks for your comments.
D.Wayne

dwaynec
12-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Tom,
I just visited your page that you had linked. Your windlass is different than mine. Mine is a verticle windlass with a combination chain/rope gypsy. I agree that if I had the gorgeous windlass that you have, I would be more interested in restoring it.
D.Wayne

dwaynec
12-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Jim, Mike,
Thanks for the reference to the Hinz book. Christmas money purchase will soon be made. Thanks also for the reference to Powerboat Reports and Passagemaker. The more info I have the better I SHOULD be able to make a good decision.
D.Wayne

rbmat
09-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Would be interested in finding out what you decided on for a winch. My 1989 maxwell vwc 1000 is no longer made and no longer any parts--therefore would not bujy another maxwell. What do you suggest?
rlm

Nonchalant1
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I got the book "Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz based on another thread in this forum. It's VERY complete on all anchoring stuff but not on selecting the windless. Hinz would basically suggest a combination rope and chain rode because nylon twist anchor rope stretches and reduces the potentially huge forces of an all chain rode when the boat lifts and it comes up tight. The chain portion of the rode holds the anchor shaft down so the anchor bit can dig in and hold. The book goes through calculations of what size anchor and rode.
My 53MY has a 65 lb. CQR with 260 ft. all 3/4" nylon rope. It held perfectly in some really big stuff. My secondary is a Fortress 37 with 8 ft. stainless chain and 200 ft. nylon twist 5/8" rope. Also a good idea from the book is the little vinyl tabs you put into the rope twists that show 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210 feet so you really know how much rode you've laid out.

rbmat
09-09-2004, 11:15 PM
I have had soo much trouble with the maxwell winch that I have been considering going manual--abi 1000 bronze found on www.sailboatstuff.com. What do you have for a winch on your Hat?

jim rosenthal
09-10-2004, 12:35 AM
..they are the windlass of choice for Nordhavn etc whose owners anchor out a lot in all sorts of condition. However, I agree not to buy anything from a company you don't have confidence in. Ideal has been around forever as well. What does Hatteras put on their new boats? they must all have windlasses.

dwaynec
09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
As it turned out, I went with a maxwell 2500vwc with 3/8 inch chain. So far I am very happy with the unit. Only thing I plan on changing is that I am going to paint a few links of the chain every 20 feet so I can see how much chain I have let out. This windlass really knows how to move a lot of chain very fast.

D.Wayne

Nonchalant1
09-12-2004, 06:09 PM
My 1978 53MY has the "original" 32v GalleyMaid windlass (rope only). Still works and looks great. I only use the windlass to get the anchor up from the bottom to the boat. You're not supposed to move the boat to the anchor with the windlass, or break it free with the windlass. That's all done with the engines. So even though we anchor out, it doesn't get long or heavy work.

on the hook
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a 72 48 Yachtfish that is in need of a new windlass. It currently has a Powerwinch 650 with a nylon/chain rode. 5/8" nylon and 3/8" chain. Problem is, the 650 is out of production and the company informed me that all extra parts have been eliminated.

Since a replacement is required I would like some info on what you might suggest as being an appropriate anchoring system I should go with. Here is what I currently have.

Anchor 45lb danforth type. No bow pulpit but a bow roller installed.
(Dead) Powerwinch 650 windlass.
300' nylon rode with 10' 3/8 proof coil chain.

Currently we boat on the Upper Mississippi River at Rock Island, IL, but am planning on retireing in the near future and heading to where the winters are warmer.

These are my questions... What brand of windlass do you recommend I should look at? Should I stick with the combo rode or convert to all chain? Is the Danforth type anchor my best choice, or should I add a pulpit and convert to a plow or claw type anchor? If I stick to the Danforth type, would I be ok with the current anchor or does it need to be bigger? Would it be worthwhile to buy a Fortress?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
D.Wayne
i just took a 32 volt galley maid from my 52 hatteras..great shape will work great on 24 volt..if interested 843 319-0186..jimmy