PDA

View Full Version : holding tank 3/4 full indicator light problem

jmencel
10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Bought an 86 36' Hatteras Sedan this summer, and then noticed the holding tank indicator light in the head area indicating it was 3/4 full did not seem to operate. The tank must have been pretty fully as the season went on so I had it pumped out. Now the light is on and won't go off. I had it flushed and pumped a couple of times hoping I could work whatever was stuck loose, but no success. Anyone have any ideas, or should I just remove the light bulb and call it a day ?

Many thanks
John

Pascal
10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
not sure what kind of gauge system you have... look at the top of the holding tank and you'll probably see wires going in. If so, you're going to have to pull the gauge assembly and clean it up. obviuously do that when the tank is empty... not fun but if you've done the diaper thing it's no worst :(

most systems like tank watch use a float going up and down on a rod, the float triggers a reed switch. usually the float gets stuck and it just needs cleaning.

or.. take the boat for a ride in a chop and it might free itself.

Beckytek
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't forget about it as it is nice to know when the tank needs pumping.
If you can locate the switch it should be easy to fix. The switch is housed in a hockey puck shaped housing made of soft rubber. Remove the cover and you will see a switch that is activated by water pressure supplied by a tube. Remove the tube at the switch, it probably is plugged up. You can replace it or blow it out to clean it. It connects to a metal tube that goes into the tank. This tube could be plugged up also. You can run a straightened coat hanger wire down to clear it also. Once you have those tubes cleared, reconnect the tubes and it should work again. good luck. Ron

fissioneng
10-05-2010, 10:19 PM
The hockey puck pressure switch (made by PAR) is prone to sticking. You can see it in the upper left of the photo.

Mine has a red rubber top. I removed the whole thing and lubricated the switch. I also soaked the rubber diaphragm with vinyl protectant to soften it up. I then made sure the pressure tube was clear. It has worked fine for 3 years and has cost me nothing.

If you put your finger under the puck, you can move the diaphragm and probably get the light to go out.

jmencel
10-05-2010, 10:19 PM
wow, you guys are great !! Thanks for being so helpful. When one doesn't know where to start, this forum is amazing !!! Having a "new to me" Hatteras and you guys out there always willing to help another Hat owner really is an amazing thing. I'm located up here in Canada where we are about to tuck away our boats for a long winter's sleep, and there just isn't too much local knowledge on Hatteras around here ... THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!