PDA

View Full Version : ER supplies storage

StratPlan61
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
OK, I am looking for pictures of smart ways to store/secure daily ER supplies, like motor oil, coolant, hand air pump, clothes, paper towel, funnels, battery water, etc. These are walk-in ERs on a 61' MY. I have considered hanging fabric/canvas 'pockets' on the insides of ER doors - but they clog up the passageway when doors are open - also too close to exhaust system on aft doors. I am currently using small baskets I leave on the floor - but am always moving them around for walking space. The walls seem covered with air, water lines and machinery. What are you guys doing? Anyone created a great shelf unit? I like the open all space up around the hull-side air intakes. I've looked at the Home Depot closet wire shelves/brackets - not bad. Give me some good ideas. Help?

bobk
09-17-2010, 05:30 PM
My 48MY has battery boxes for two 8D's in front of each of the 6V92's and these are just about the size of a large plastic dunnage box (Home Depot) for filters and misc. that I put on top of them. On top of each of these boxes I store smaller stuff in a pair of snap lid plastic boxes. The ER is a mess now while the starboard engine is being rebuilt, so I can't send a picture. Remind me later if you want to see it.

Bob

wmassey9
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Definitely store in a container, plastic or milk carton type. Then, secure whatever the storage container is. High seas or other boat movements can ruin your day if they become engaged with the engines.

rsmith
09-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm careful what i store in the er If something catches fire in there you dont want things that will make it worse. Plus the heat drys things out. Plastic boxes dry out and crackup from the heat. I was on a boat that broke a turbo mount and the oil soaked turbo blanket caught fire.

rtrafford
09-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Installing a PVC tank in an unused void, plumbing it to the engines via a transfer manifold, and filling it with clean oil for reserve. Adding will be via the transfer pump. No more kicking the containers and moving the buckets...

rsmith
09-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Installing a PVC tank in an unused void, plumbing it to the engines via a transfer manifold, and filling it with clean oil for reserve. Adding will be via the transfer pump. No more kicking the containers and moving the buckets...

I did that years ago. I buy my oil by the 55gal drum and put it in 5 gal chemical containers that have a threaded top and bung hole. It makes life so much easier for adding oil. I even have both gennys tied into the manifold. I have 3 dedicated containers for oil change that have the same fittings on them. I changed the reverso pump to a gear version a few years ago because the impeller version would eat impellers every couple of years.

rtrafford
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Lol, 55 is sitting in the garage waiting...I like the way you think!

yachtsmanbill
09-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I wish I had the model with the two ERs... I sure as heck would bust out the hallway walls and make it one decent sized walkthrough engine room. Probably build a set of stairs for the aft cabin(s) for privacy and two soundproof doors for access. Thats just me... always looking for another project... ws

MikeP
09-18-2010, 12:37 PM
For small stuff I use a couple of rubber-coated metal baskets - not all that large - mounted in the empty spaces on the eng room wall. I keep things like impellers, 5606 fluid (for Hynautic steering), various gasket sealers, assorted gaskets, hose clamps, and other stuff like that in them. I'd like to add a few more baskets but haven't gotten around to actually buying them.

This is the port eng room with two baskets.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/mikeP996/DSC_1948.jpg

Angela
09-19-2010, 03:33 AM
For small stuff I use a couple of rubber-coated metal baskets - not all that large - mounted in the empty spaces on the eng room wall. I keep things like impellers, 5606 fluid (for Hynautic steering), various gasket sealers, assorted gaskets, hose clamps, and other stuff like that in them. I'd like to add a few more baskets but haven't gotten around to actually buying them.

This is the port eng room with two baskets.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/mikeP996/DSC_1948.jpg
There you go again showing off your sweet, clean, pristine engine rooms. You make me sick in a really envious way. :) LOL Just when I think "this looks OK", there you go posting a photo such as that and make me return to my ER to slave away. I've never seen an engine room in one of the classic Hatts that is so nice as yours...so cut it out, will ya???? I've got enough stuff to do, like troubleshooting 3-month old air conditoning that has crapped out once again [having burned for the third (or fourth) time (I've lost count) with smoke blowing out the vent]. You're killin' me with your ER photos!!!!

DLCameron2
09-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Mike - I am with Ang on this. Makes mine look like a "3", very depressing. Maybe you should do some "consulting" hahaha. Hope to catch up with you in San Miguel this fall.

DC

Passages
09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I just checked Mike's profile. That boat is a 1980 vintage. 30 YEARS OLD !!!

How can that be?

rsmith
09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I just checked Mike's profile. That boat is a 1980 vintage. 30 YEARS OLD !!!

How can that be?
The PO was a fanatic and always won best engine room at get togethers Im sure Mikes kept up with the tradition.

MikeP
09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
"The PO was a fanatic and always won best engine room at get togethers"

Yes, that's exactly right. He was an ex-US Navy Destroyer guy. When we looked at the boat there were several "best engine room" trophies on board and I keep it at that level. I was really happy to find a boat that already had the rooms in that condition instead of having to make it that way as a first project! :)