PDA

View Full Version : Ship it or drive it???

mkh8911
08-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I just purchased a 1968 34C. I'm new to this class of vessel. The boat is located in Michigan City, Indiana. I live in Tennessee. I'm tempted to drive the boat from Lake Michigan to Lake Barkley, Ky where it will be slipped (via the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland rivers). My other option is to load it on a flatbed and haul it home. The boat is on the hard now, winterized. If anyone has any suggestions on the best method of travel I would appreciate any comments. I suppose one of the downsides to tractor-trailer travel is that I will have to remove the flybridge to get the boat under 13'6". My main concern with river travel is fuel locations and bridge clearance. Thanks!

rsmith
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I just purchased a 1968 34C. I'm new to this class of vessel. The boat is located in Michigan City, Indiana. I live in Tennessee. I'm tempted to drive the boat from Lake Michigan to Lake Barkley, Ky where it will be slipped (via the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland rivers). My other option is to load it on a flatbed and haul it home. The boat is on the hard now, winterized. If anyone has any suggestions on the best method of travel I would appreciate any comments. I suppose one of the downsides to tractor-trailer travel is that I will have to remove the flybridge to get the boat under 13'6". My main concern with river travel is fuel locations and bridge clearance. Thanks!
drive it!!!!!!

Tim Powell
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
drive it!!!!!!

drive it did u purchase to see it on truck//// if you are concerned about keeping it in deep water or fuel have a captain go with you but definately DRIVE TIM

Finalee
08-08-2010, 11:10 AM
If it is seaworthy and you have the time drive it.

C. Edmund
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
drive it did u purchase to see it on truck//// if you are concerned about keeping it in deep water or fuel have a captain go with you but definately DRIVE TIM

Yep -- hire a captain -- about 350 a day plus drinks on the bridge and dinner -- and you and he drive it down. Best investment of time you can make in learning the boat.

At that size, you'll get comfortable in no time.

Pascal
08-08-2010, 11:22 AM
i'd say drive it home (with help if needed) but the fact that it is still winterized makes me wonder how it was surveyed and sea trialed, as well as prior history. i'd be reluctant to do the trip under these conditions without a thorough sea trial and shake down cruise first. Especially on the river system where current and commercial traffic can become serious dangers in case of a mechanical issue.

Boatsb
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Call Randy ( Freebird ) I bet he can get it down there even if it don't run.

REBrueckner
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Several ways to think about it..

(1) Will you ever say "Boy I'm glad I had the boat shipped home, that sure was a lot of fun."

(2) How would you feel if you got sick or injured after truck delivery and could not use your new boat?

(3) In a few weeks we'll be into September and October some of the best cruising weather of the year.

(4) When will you travel this route by boat again after delivery? That's why this likely will be a once in a lifetime experience.

(5) See the note beneath my signature below. My boating days are now almost certainly over and I do not recall ever thinking "Man I'm sorry I spent so much time aboard doing THAT!!!!...."

PS: Make sure you have ice, beer and a grill aboard for relaxing evening dinners. And bring a digital camera.

ron6785
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Well you certainly have time to drive the boat home, you're only talking two weeks max if you go every day. I too would be curious as to why and how long the boat has been dry docked. Did you sea trial the boat ???.

Since we don't know anything about the background of the boat, let's assume that the boat has not been run lately and you have issues with the boat as most new owners do, it can be quite a harrowing experience to have something that you perceive to be wrong with the boat while traveling and not close to local sources. Which is why some have suggested an experienced captain, one with mechanical knowledge, go with you. It does however provide the perfect enviroment for learning about your boat.

I brought mine back some 1500 miles from florida and by the time I got home I knew just about everything about the operating systems on the boat.

The part of trip on the rivers is not particularily noteworthy from a pleasure boat standpoint, however there are fuel stops and enough marinas to stop at overnight.

Tim Powell
08-08-2010, 04:11 PM

(1) Will you ever say "Boy I'm glad I had the boat shipped home, that sure was a lot of fun."

(2) How would you feel if you got sick or injured after truck delivery and could not use your new boat?

(3) In a few weeks we'll be into September and October some of the best cruising weather of the year.

(4) When will you travel this route by boat again after delivery? That's why this likely will be a once in a lifetime experience.

(5) See the note beneath my signature below. My boating days are now almost certainly over and I do not recall ever thinking "Man I'm sorry I spent so much time aboard doing THAT!!!!...."

PS: Make sure you have ice, beer and a grill aboard for relaxing evening dinners. And bring a digital camera.

REMEMBER//// IT IS ONE WAY THAT WONT HAPPEND AGAIN tIM

mkh8911
08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I did not do a sea trial. All I have is the owner's word that all of the boat's systems work (except the a/c). I've wanted a Hatteras for years and I found one in my price range and bought it. The boat has been well maintained by professional marina mechanics. The hull is nearly perfect. Shes a 42 year old boat. I'm expecting some things not to work properly. But underlying any problems is a quality built craft.

So, now that I'm driving the boat to Tennessee, anyone know how I might find a full fledged captain to travel at least part of the way?

Thanks again everyone....

ThirdHatt
08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I did not do a sea trial. All I have is the owner's word that all of the boat's systems work (except the a/c). I've wanted a Hatteras for years and I found one in my price range and bought it. The boat has been well maintained by professional marina mechanics. The hull is nearly perfect. Shes a 42 year old boat. I'm expecting some things not to work properly. But underlying any problems is a quality built craft.

So, now that I'm driving the boat to Tennessee, anyone know how I might find a full fledged captain to travel at least part of the way?

Thanks again everyone....

Congrats on buying a Hatteras. They are GREAT boats! With the support of this forum and the guys at Sam's Marine, you will have everything you need to do the right thing for your new baby.

Not seatrialing and surveying before purchasing a boat is a huge risk, but what is done is done. I think that hiring a full fledged Captain is an excellent idea, and a full fledged Captain is not just a guy that passes a test for a license. Be sure to find a Captain that is truly experienced on the water and has been doing paid deliveries for many, many years. It is very important that he is also very experienced at hands-on maintenance and on-the-go mechanical repairs. Ask lots of questions about what types of repairs he has had to do over the years on deliveries to get an idea of who you are dealing with. In my experience most good delivery Captains pride themselves on their ability of making repairs while on a delivery and do their best to fix or repair anything that goes wrong on a delivery (to the best of their ability with the tools and materials on board) to safely deliver the boat to the intended destination.

Without a good seatrial and mechanical survey, you really have no idea of how seaworthy the boat is so in this particular situation having someone along that is mechanically inclined is a must in my opinion. Make sure that you do as much service to the engines, gears, generator and driveline as possible before beginning on your journey. Inspect the cutlass bearings, change the oil in the gears, change the oil and filters in the engines, change the fuel filters and carry several spares for the trip, be sure to replace the raw water impellers, inspect all the hoses and belts and change any that have cracks or look questionable, etc. This will get you familiar with your new boat and also go a long way to avoiding any mechanical issues on the trip home.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

REBrueckner
08-08-2010, 07:26 PM
For a captain, maybe you can contact some commercial guys that run the river and know at least parts of it as you know your local streets.

You can also call an insurance company and ask for recommendations.

And you can check with any local marina andsee who captains pleasure boats.

yachtsmanbill
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
None of the experts here spoke of the fiberglass fuel tank/ethanol situation, LOOK INTO THAT, You dont need fuel problems above Cairo, Il. !! I am in Chicago and available to give you a quick lesson or make the 1/4 day trip across the lake to get you on the river... ws

ppat324
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I am kind of new to the boating scene...but I am with Yachtsmanwilly and we are on the Calumet River. From the harbor you will come from to our marina would be as Willy said only 2-3 hours barring any problems with the boat. Once you get on the river it is pretty smooth at least until you get past seneca. Not sure after that. Several locks to go through but we take the 36' Roamer thru without tying down to the wall alot of times. Depends on the traffic. Whatever you decide to do be sure to stop and say hello after you get thru the O'Brien lock. Ya cant miss Willys Hatteras!!! LOL Biggest yacht at the marina! They also have fuel and food and bar......ppat

ps... if you need help locating parts or what not we can help around Lake Michigan and on the Calumet river area!!! Plus we have TOOLS!

Glory
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM

All good advice. I have been living that line without ever saying it.

JM

ThirdHatt
08-08-2010, 10:48 PM
None of the experts here spoke of the fiberglass fuel tank/ethanol situation, LOOK INTO THAT

Great advice! I just ASSumed that the boat has diesels but maybe they are gasoline? That certainly makes a difference in how the boat is prepared for such a trip.

mkh8911
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
They are gasoline engines. Thanks ppat324 and Yachtsmanwilly. Yachtsmanwilly, I may take you up on your offer of instruction. It has fiberglass fuel tanks. What should I do to verify delamination of the tanks? Do they need to be replaced prior to a lengthy voyage? I suppose a visual inspection of the inside of the tank via the fuel gauge would reveal any delamination issues? Of course, I read the horror stories after I bought the boat. I probably would have bought it anyway. How much can fuel tanks cost anyway??? I'll just bring a hose, a few clamps, my portable air compressor and a die grinder, a few sparks never hurt anyone...

yachtsmanbill
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
...and this guy has a sense of humor! Dont get yerself lined up for banned CAMP !! Another guy here has new stainless tanks that may be an option. Check the for sale parts section.
Now, what about the logistics? When ya planning on leaving? You really should launch and run the boat for a week or so to find any deficiencies etc.
Kentucky lake is a good 8-9 day run at 10 hours per day. Theres a few long stretches where fuel becomes an issue as well, but its mostly downhill. Fall is a good time to go, as its a bit cooler then. Do you have a crew from Chicago south?
A week from thursday we are running the 58 over to Grand Haven for a Hatteras rendezvous. Feel free to join along. Ppat can fill you in on instructions, I just drive the big boat ;-)) ws

yachtsmanbill
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
So heres the land mark on the river... 58TC Hatteras and a 1963 36foot aluminum Roamer. Where in the volunteer state you from? Soddy Daisy maybe? ws
http://i34.tinypic.com/icloug.jpg

mkh8911
08-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm from Ashland City, TN. It's just the Cumberland river here. No lake Barkley yet. I may get the guys at the Michigan City marina to splash the boat so I can run it around awhile before I head south. I'd like to get some time with it before I head anywhere. Like I told Ppat, I just don't want to do something really stupid (midly stupid is expected) during the first couple of hours with the boat. If I go ahead and splash the boat, I can get some idea of how bad things really are....

ppat324
08-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Get down here and run to Grand Haven with us next week end! Which marina is the boat at? What is her name? If you need any assistance we would be happy to give it. Tied up for the next 2 weeks with this trip but after that we are available...ppat

Top_Hatt
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Dont forget to call BOATUS and get your membership. You may need it for your trip.

Freeebird
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks again everyone....I'd be willing to talk to you about it depending on when you want to make the trip. No, I'm not a mechanic, but I've owned thirty some odd gasoline powered boats and have logged thousands of hours and did my 100 ton master a while back. I’ve got all the charts both paper and electronic. I don't need $350 per day to make it worth my while either as I‘m bored and would enjoy the trip. I would suggest having a mechanic look it over in addition to a few hours of local running before heading out. If it will run for 2-3 hours, it will most likely run long enough to get it home. It's not as though you're heading across the Pacific, and you have two running engines. Besides, it's downstream most of the way. Get a small dingy with an outboard, and you'll have things covered in the event you have problems. That and a big ass anchor. Wouldn’t hurt to sign up with SeaTow or TowBoat US before you head out either.

Check around and see who has ethanol-free fuel. In these parts, it's not a problem. Just chart your course and know where you can buy fuel. No big deal to confirm availability ahead of time. As for ethanol, I'm assuming if you burn it out about as fast as you put it in, it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway. You can ask the x-spurts about that one. If the boat has been laid up that long, it's not going to have ethanol in the tanks now, so it shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest having the tanks pumped out and filled with fresh fuel before running it at all.

captainwjm
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Look at Active Captian for information on facilities available. From Michigan City to Lake Barkley the only extended stretch will be from the mouth of the Illinois to Barkley lock. Hoppies, just south of St. Louis is the only fuel available - be sure of your range. The Mississippi is not to be taken lightly as the current, eddys, and commercial traffic are unlike anything you will see on the lakes [Great or otherwise]. Plan on an all day run to the Ohio. Don't attempt the Miss. at night!

Where are you keeping the boat on Barkley? I've recently stayed at Green Turtle, Prizer Point and Barkley state park. If you make it up to Old Hickory, give us a shout - we're at Gallatin.

Good luck, and enjoy the trip.

yachtsmanbill
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Youre gonna need fuel at Cape Girardeau, then stay overnight on the Bypass Canal. That stretch is WELL MORE than a days run from Hoppies to the Cumberland. Nothbound at 8 mph, it was a 3 day trip from Green Turtle to Alton...
The Ohio was running about 6 and the Mississippi was about 7 AND 20 feet above flood. What a mess. Wave when ya go by Randy... either way LOL ws

Freeebird
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey, if he/we can make 7 knots in neutral, range won't be a problem.

yachtsmanbill
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
yup, then ya hit Cairo... of course with you driving it may very well be Egypt LOL. But then again, going backwards to New orleans would be pretty interesting, Seen America by RAIL lately?? ws

mkh8911
08-10-2010, 09:57 PM
You guys are real confidence builders. Surely if Huckleberry Finn can navigate the Mississippi on a raft, Freebird can get me there in a Hatteras..

ppat324
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't count on it....lol....ppat

Freeebird
08-10-2010, 10:05 PM
You guys are real confidence builders. Surely if Huckleberry Finn can navigate the Mississippi on a raft, Freebird can get me there in a Hatteras..I'll make you famous. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/popcorn.gif

Seriously, if you're interested, send me a PM. I kid around a lot, but I'm a hell of a captain.

captddis
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
yup, then ya hit Cairo... of course with you driving it may very well be Egypt LOL. But then again, going backwards to New orleans would be pretty interesting, Seen America by RAIL lately?? ws

At least they will be going down hill. +5kts.

Freeebird
08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I'll make you famous. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/popcorn.gif

Seriously, if you're interested, send me a PM. I kid around a lot, but I'm a hell of a captain.Seeing as how you're new to the forum, I sent you a PM. Look up in the top right corner of your screen and click on private messages.

Freeebird
08-10-2010, 10:57 PM
OK Dave, Willy, help us out. I'm out of commission (long story) and don't have my charts here. Anybody know off hand the mileage involved in this trip?

ppat324
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
OK Dave, Willy, help us out. I'm out of commission (long story) and don't have my charts here. Anybody know off hand the mileage involved in this trip?

Not on your life Captain.....ppat and ws

yachtsmanbill
08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Whip out the GPS... or is the battery geshpeilt?? (more than 100 and less than 1000). Lemme see 087w and 44'40" n to soddy daisy which outa be about 084w and 42'80" n gets ya'll some where around the place where they make the Kodiak tins. In other words, its a two gallon jug o' juice trip. ;-))
Dont ferget green left leaving or is that red right returning. Hmmm. I like the ones with the red and black bands around them. Yaaawn !! its time ta hit the fart sack. Getting ready this week for the trip north with 2 oil changes, and a fuel tank washing. Id rather be walking on blacktop barefooted! ws

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/ilwwcharts.cfm

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Whip out the GPS... or is the battery geshpeilt?? (more than 100 and less than 1000). Lemme see 087w and 44'40" n to soddy daisy which outa be about 084w and 42'80" n gets ya'll some where around the place where they make the Kodiak tins. In other words, its a two gallon jug o' juice trip. ;-))
Dont ferget green left leaving or is that red right returning. Hmmm. I like the ones with the red and black bands around them. Yaaawn !! its time ta hit the fart sack. Getting ready this week for the trip north with 2 oil changes, and a fuel tank washing. Id rather be walking on blacktop barefooted! ws

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/ilwwcharts.cfmI was hoping for a more exact number without having to do all the work. :D

Actually, I forgot about the Navionics package on my iPhone, and it's even programmed for fuel burn with my 41. I'm guessing this 34 should do at least as good as ole' Nancy Cay, so I should be able to come up with some pretty good numbers for this ole' boy. I'm still thinking it will be cheaper to haul it by truck, but not nearly as much fun... for him of course.

As for walking barefoot on blacktop, I'd stick with oil changing and tank washing, but that's just me.

yachtsmanbill
08-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Is that fuel burn accounting for spoolenem' up?? Just plug that phone into the autopilot and sit back and relax... will it send itself texts as well?? ws

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Man, this would work out great if I could tie it into taking that 55 to Chicago. It's gonna take some time to figure this all out with the iPhone since there are no mile markers on the charts. It would take a heck of a lot of cursor moving to get things figgered out.

You should remember how far it was from your place to Padookee, and it would be easy to figure from there.

yachtsmanbill
08-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Are you cursin' or blasphemin'?? Read that link I sent ya... theres lotsa pictures on it too!! ws

yachtsmanbill
08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Man, this would work out great if I could tie it into taking that 55 to Chicago. It's gonna take some time to figure this all out with the iPhone since there are no mile markers on the charts. It would take a heck of a lot of cursor moving to get things figgered out.

You should remember how far it was from your place to Padookee, and it would be easy to figure from there.

YEP... that outa getcha all warmed up all right! Does that bag come with a number 7 or a number 8 nozzle?? ws

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 12:29 AM
OK, I did some quick straight line shortcutting and came up with about 650 miles (conservative). If his boat will cruise at 20 and get 1MPG, we're looking at 650 gallons @ $3.50 per gallon = $2,275 and about 40 hours of running time. That should be able to be done in 4 days easy enough assuming things go right. I'm guesstimating roughly $3,500 by the time all is said and done. He can ship it for about half that.

yachtsmanbill
08-11-2010, 12:39 AM
How many laps you do back and forth around Hales bar to get all that river time? If you average 100 miles a day yer doin' damn good. Lets see, Theres 7 locks on the Ill river, Each one has at least two tows waiting each way, its about 25 percent no wake zones, and yer gonna average 20 mph?? Looks like Ill be hiring you to run both of my boats south next year. Say "Howdy" to the sheriff at the next lock... maybe he'll text you the ticket. Sweet dreams baby, how long must I dream... ws

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I know, I was being REAL optimistic in several areas just to get a quick idea of cost for shipping vs driving. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's gonna be a lot cheaper to ship it.

yachtsmanbill
08-11-2010, 12:41 AM
BTW... gas is 4,11 here, plus removing the flybridge. Maybe yer mechanic can put it back on for him... Lemme see now, where'd I put that oil pan. Oops... fergot the oil pump too. Zzzzzzzz ws

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah, we swapped PM's and I told him to figure the cost of R&R with the bridge and travel lifting vs splashing the trailer on both ends. Still gonna save him some money based on the figures he gave me, but what fun is saving money?

sunset grill
08-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Keep up your sense of adventure. I purchased my fourty footer in Houston, and brought her back to TN in nine days, 1000 miles. I would not take anything for the experience. Other than a oil leak in Homa, LA and waiting three hours to lock in New Orleans the rest are good stories. It is imperative to make sure she is sea worthy B-4 embarkinng on such a journey. I would attemp to help you get her home also, depending on when. I couldn't make the whole trip at one time, but could travel a few days if you need me. It is good to know another Hatteras is headed to TN. What is going on with the new marina -condo that was being built in Ashland City, TN?

captddis
08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
OK, I did some quick straight line shortcutting and came up with about 650 miles (conservative). If his boat will cruise at 20 and get 1MPG, we're looking at 650 gallons @ $3.50 per gallon = $2,275 and about 40 hours of running time. That should be able to be done in 4 days easy enough assuming things go right. I'm guesstimating roughly $3,500 by the time all is said and done. He can ship it for about half that.

Figure 7 days at least. It took me 6 days and 70 hours with a 25 kt boat that had more range. You will do lots of waiting for locks. The IL locks are the slowest of the whole trip.
Not sure of the status of the electric fence now, but there were delays recently.

ppat324
08-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Dave, at this time the fence is not a problem. They not doing anything to stop the invasion.... with the Roamer when we brought her up from Seneca it took 10 hours. Some of those locks are very slow as you know. Pleasure craft do not have the right of way on the river. ppat

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Dave. As I told our new owner, this is going to come down to a choice between economics and adventure. Even with my very rough calculations, it would cost him a couple of grand more to drive it than ship it.

Tim made a very good point about this being a great time for such a trip as it's one way. There will never be a less expensive trip between the Great Lakes and Tennessee than this one.

captainwjm
08-11-2010, 08:05 AM
"Youre gonna need fuel at Cape Girardeau"

Beware, Fred's in CG is not longer selling fuel; that's why you need to keep checking Active Captian for the most recent information! No fuel available from Hoppies to Barkley/Kentucky lakes.

To keep fuel consumption low, you'll need to slow down, and that means you'll probably need to anchor out. Active Captain shows the available anchorages - but keep current on the water level - some of these places are dry land when the river is low.

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Here's a link to what Bill is talking about...

http://www.activecaptain.com/

captainwjm
08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
"What is going on with the new marina -condo that was being built in Ashland City, TN?"

Bankruptcy! The marina and condos are built, and look nice! The condos are empty, and the proposed amenities are non-existant. There is no fuel, and the courtsey dock was damaged in May's flood. Last time I was there, late June, the courtsey dock was still twisted up on the bank, but there were plenty of nice slips open in the marina. Riverview, across the river was totally destroyed, so the closest fuel is at Rock Harbor.

Megalodon45C
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
If the boat is sea worthy drive it

34Hatt
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Big question "IF"

Yours is a 1968 so most likely has the fiberglass cockpit. If those tanks need to be replaced it is no small task I know this because been there done it to a friends boat 1967 34C ;)

mkh8911
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
"What is going on with the new marina -condo that was being built in Ashland City, TN?"

Bankruptcy! The marina and condos are built, and look nice! The condos are empty, and the proposed amenities are non-existant. There is no fuel, and the courtsey dock was damaged in May's flood. Last time I was there, late June, the courtsey dock was still twisted up on the bank, but there were plenty of nice slips open in the marina. Riverview, across the river was totally destroyed, so the closest fuel is at Rock Harbor.

Bill, you are exactly right. There is a hearing on September 24 to determine if Bank of America is going to their plan approved which would allow the current slip owners / PSL holders to stay. It's a mess. Walt at Riverview is trying to get the local building officials and FEMA to let him rebuild. Real mess...

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Big question "IF"

Yours is a 1968 so most likely has the fiberglass cockpit. If those tanks need to be replaced it is no small task I know this because been there done it to a friends boat 1967 34C ;)Why the big "IF" over fuel tanks as they relate to the boat being seaworthy?

No way will these tanks need to be replaced until they are filled with ethanol fuel and allowed to soak. Nobody addressed my assumption that putting ethanol in a fiberglass tank won't cause immediate problems. Then there is the issue of whether or not ethanol-free fuel would be available along the route home. It may or may not be more cost effective to replace the tanks in his home town, but I'm assuming it would be.

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd be willing to talk to you about it depending on when you want to make the trip. No, I'm not a mechanic, but I've owned thirty some odd gasoline powered boats and have logged thousands of hours and did my 100 ton master a while back. I’ve got all the charts both paper and electronic. I don't need $350 per day to make it worth my while either as I‘m bored and would enjoy the trip. I would suggest having a mechanic look it over in addition to a few hours of local running before heading out. If it will run for 2-3 hours, it will most likely run long enough to get it home. It's not as though you're heading across the Pacific, and you have two running engines. Besides, it's downstream most of the way. Get a small dingy with an outboard, and you'll have things covered in the event you have problems. That and a big ass anchor. Wouldn’t hurt to sign up with SeaTow or TowBoat US before you head out either.

Check around and see who has ethanol-free fuel. In these parts, it's not a problem. Just chart your course and know where you can buy fuel. No big deal to confirm availability ahead of time. As for ethanol, I'm assuming if you burn it out about as fast as you put it in, it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway. You can ask the x-spurts about that one. If the boat has been laid up that long, it's not going to have ethanol in the tanks now, so it shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest having the tanks pumped out and filled with fresh fuel before running it at all.

just gotta put my mouth in this ////forget freewillie and call the guy you bought it from/// if he declines shipit! freebird has taken these kinda trips before so it wont be new to him tim

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Uh... who you talkin' to tIM? :D

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Dave. As I told our new owner, this is going to come down to a choice between economics and adventure. Even with my very rough calculations, it would cost him a couple of grand more to drive it than ship it.

Tim made a very good point about this being a great time for such a trip as it's one way. There will never be a less expensive trip between the Great Lakes and Tennessee than this one.

it would be a lot of fun Randy what kinda boat we talking about somthing was said about gas and fly bridge//// Randy how long will it take aproximately if all goes well

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I dunno tIM, I've never had anything go well.

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Uh... who you talkin' to tIM? :D

FREEWILLIE RANDY//// IF THE MAN WHAT SOLD IT WONT RIDE A WAYES MAYBEE THE FIRST LEG OR TWO SHIP IT THAT MEANS THE MAN HAS BOUGHT A PICE OF PROBLEMS MAKING FOR A HECK OF A LONG TRIP. THOSE 5KNOT CURRENTS WITHOUT POWER WILL BE KINDA HARD TO ROW AGAINST. TIM

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm just messing with you Tim. The owner has told me what he can have the boat shipped for, and it's a no brainer if he's looking at this from a financial standpoint. As best I am aware, this is already a done deal with him and the seller. I'm sure the boat would do fine.

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I dunno tIM, I've never had anything go well.

HU

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm just messing with you Tim. The owner has told me what he can have the boat shipped for, and it's a no brainer if he's looking at this from a financial standpoint. As best I am aware, this is already a done deal with him and the seller. I'm sure the boat would do fine.

WHAT KINDA HAT IS IT

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Hatteras University? I think it's a little late for that. :D

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
WHAT KINDA HAT IS ITTim, Tim, tIM... you can't come in at the end and try to figure these things out.

Tim Powell
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Tim, Tim, tIM... you can't come in at the end and try to figure these things out.

i gotta go to venor tn just thought we could have a little fun one day going august 25

Freeebird
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
i gotta go to venor tn just thought we could have a little fun one day going august 25Vonore is just down the road (not sure where venor is). Gimme a holler and we'll go for a boat ride... but not on this one. We'll take my 41 since it's already here.

mkh8911
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Tim,
The previous owner offered to ride a ways to get me started. Yachtsmanwilly offered. Randy offered. My thanks to everyone. I'm just having a hard time justifying my adventure with my financial adviser (my wife), if you get my drift. She just happened to mention that I could nearly pay for a years slip fee at Barkley with the money I'd save if I had it shipped.... I hate it when she makes sense. Give me a confused babbling woman any day!

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Trust me, when the wife isn't happy, nobody's happy. Ship the boat and save your money. You're probably going to need it. Get her the way you want her, and take the wife on a nice cruise to get things started.

captainwjm
08-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I've got to agree with Randy on that.

34Hatt
08-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Why the big "IF" over fuel tanks as they relate to the boat being seaworthy?

No way will these tanks need to be replaced until they are filled with ethanol fuel and allowed to soak. Nobody addressed my assumption that putting ethanol in a fiberglass tank won't cause immediate problems. Then there is the issue of whether or not ethanol-free fuel would be available along the route home. It may or may not be more cost effective to replace the tanks in his home town, but I'm assuming it would be.

Why the BIG IF because have seen that one before. Guy here on the Island with a 28' Hatt having engine problems this is years back. I tell him tanks are N.G need new tanks he say NO that's not it tanks have NEVER had E10 in them. I tell yes they have he puts new heads on both motors and guess what ;) A Year later he has heads redone and a big portable tank in cockpit a year after that Boat sold new owner new tanks :) He told me hewould haved saved a lot of money if he had listened. He was like the experts back then saying its not the tanks and we need tests and proof Bla Bla Bla!
Yes I know this boat has been sitting but maybe this is why? So he will ship it and take the money saved and put some new tanks in since you got to do it sooner or later.
When your ready to cut it open let me know if your Lucky and the core is dry it can be done easily but if its wet not so easy!

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Dan, short of going back and rereading this entire thread, maybe I misunderstood how long this boat has been laid up and just assumed it had been sitting long enough to have no worries about ethanol being in the tanks. It might be too late for the new owner to check for ethanol. Seems somebody mentioned an easy test for such things, but I can't remember what it was.

Again, I don't know how things are in the area where he bought the boat, but the marinas around here do not have ethanol in their fuel. In fact,there are a number of service stations advertising ethanol-free fuel. There is always the possibility the seller found out about the ethanol problems with fiberglass tanks and decided to unload the boat knowing it was full of it. Let's hope that wasn't the case.

Pascal
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
if the boat was in good mechanical shape and with a known history it would be worth driving her home but i wouldn't take a chance with this one based on the information given in this thread.

Ethanol is not a black and white issue... there are too many unknown factors. Even if you can be sure that no ethanol fuel has been used before (a big IF) nobody knows for sure how quickly it attacks the resin and how quickly the residue gets in the filters.

Ethanol in fuel has been an issue for a while now, 3 or 4 years, so chances are the tanks have been contaminated. It would also be interesting to check geographically where ethanol was introduced first at marine pumps. I know from experience that ethanol has been used in road gas in the midwest for a ew years now (on long road trips, i'd loose about 10 to 15% mileage on each tank when crossing the midwest). who knows when gas docks started getting ethanol laced fueled in the area where the boat is from...

and remember that this boat has not been surveyed or sea trialed yet.... too many things can go wrong. what do you do when you have a serious problem and there are no facilities nearby to repair and haul out the boat to ship it? costs will escalate out of control.

being a small boat, it's not worth taking the risk. ship it.

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
The question remains... is there or is there not an easy way to check for ethanol in the fuel?

For that matter, is there a difficult way?

I would make that priority number one in this particular case regardless of whether or not he decides to drive the boat home.

Pascal
08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
obviously if you pull some fuel from the tanks, thru the fuel sender or access plate, since the fuel is old the ethanol will have separated

in any case, the fuel tanks should be emptied of whatever is in there, flushed and refilled with fresh fuel. i woudlnt' even attempt to use whatever is in there...

Boatsb
08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.fuel-testers.com/quikcheck.html

It will test for the presence of ethanol. They also have testers to check percentage of it.

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
obviously if you pull some fuel from the tanks, thru the fuel sender or access plate, since the fuel is old the ethanol will have separated
How do you figure the ethanol would be "obvious"? You're telling me you can tell the difference between separated ethanol and gasoline by simply looking at it?

Scott, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

It will test for the presence of ethanol. They also have testers to check percentage of it.Interesting. Why is it those test kits aren't available in auto parts stores? I've asked around here, and nobody knew of such a thing. Wonder if WM sells them?

Boatsb
08-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Doubt you will find them locally unless you look to a fuel supplier. Nit something they think the general public would use.

34Hatt
08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
The question remains... is there or is there not an easy way to check for ethanol in the fuel?

For that matter, is there a difficult way?

I would make that priority number one in this particular case regardless of whether or not he decides to drive the boat home.

So Scott answered that yes it can be tested. So is the gas left over E10 let's say No have the tanks ever seen it ???????

As for the time frame the is the scary part up here everyone got it the same time in NY & CT some boats had problems very soon after that some boats over a Year later. One guy I know in Ct 1965 34C the year after the Shit hit the fan I said Tom you did your tanks this winter right. He told no my tanks are fine it didn't effect mine. I said well your lucky so far but its just a matter of time. He said no Ill be fine. Jump ahead to next year I see him in Greenport he said I had to do my tanks and it screwed up my motors. I just simply replied with really No Shit :)
Lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

Pascal
08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
How do you figure the ethanol would be "obvious"? You're telling me you can tell the difference between separated ethanol and gasoline by simply looking at it?

Scott, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

yes, different color layers

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
How do you propose that you can pull layers of fuel out of a tank? Have you done this with a gasoline powered boat since the introduction of ethanol?

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM

It will test for the presence of ethanol. They also have testers to check percentage of it.
A question just popped into my head where this test kit is concerned. If ethanol separates when it's stored in a fuel tank, how can you accurately test the fuel?

As with Robby's method in the other thread, it would work fine on fuel straight from the pump. Other than that... ??

Pascal
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
been a long time since i've dealt with gas boats but i've done it recently on a car...

you don't pull layers out of the tank, you look at the layers in the jar or glass container after you get some fuel out. just try to get fuel from both the bottom and top of the tank, shake it and take a look. it will be very obvious.

MicroKap
08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
If you put a clear hose down a fuel fill (just like a straw into a glass), couldn't you "cap" the top of the hose and pull it out of the fuel fill showing layers, just like if you put your finger on top of the straw? You'd just have to make sure that you got down to the bottom of the tank. I'm aware that this would work best on fuel fills that are more or less a straight shot from deckplate to bottom of tank. You can also pull out the fuel gauge and put hose in just like a dip stick. Even if the fuel mixed, if you put it in a bottle, it would separate.

34Hatt
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
obviously if you pull some fuel from the tanks, thru the fuel sender or access plate, since the fuel is old the ethanol will have separated...

All of this Asuming it will separate is not a good test I have a little test going on it is 3 year old E10 that was treated in a jar in a shed outside still No separation!

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry, but I don't see how it could be possible to either pull a "column" of fuel from a tank or pull top and bottom layers for such a test. Seems to me that if ethanol truly separates from gasoline, only the bottom of a fiberglass tank would be affected. Could be the whole secret to not harming fiberglass tanks with resulting engine damage would be to keep the fuel mixed.

I'm certainly no expert on such things, but is the separation of ethanol from gasoline the result of sitting or is it a chemical separation which just takes place over time regardless?

Boatsb
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
We used to dip the fuel tanks weekly with a wooden stick coated with a past that changed color if water was present. probably a version of that available that can check for ethanol too.

Check with the companies that supply the gas stations.

yachtsmanbill
08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
HO HUM Yaaaaawn.... New owner is going to ship the boat AND source new metal tanks... Stretttttch ws

http://i35.tinypic.com/osbj90.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/243oya8.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/j9rg8w.jpg

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Good call.

mkh8911
08-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Mechanic thats been working on the boat for 4 or 5 years told me that the fuel at the marinas in Michigan City do not contain ethanol yet. He says its coming but not yet. He said he has not seen a problem with any local boats yet. After closer inspection today, it's going to be a PITA to replace those tanks. I can't wait. I got most of the flybridge unscrewed (about 50 to 60 square bit stainless screws, full of paint, caulk, etc.) disconnected today. Another hour in the morning and I'll be ready for the forklift to lift it off.

If I had a trailer, I'd haul it home tomorrow night. I guess I'll wait for the professionals...

yachtsmanbill
08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
HOWARD Manhatt'n....this man needs YOU!!!!...ppat

Freeebird
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Mechanic thats been working on the boat for 4 or 5 years told me that the fuel at the marinas in Michigan City do not contain ethanol yet. He says its coming but not yet. He said he has not seen a problem with any local boats yet. After closer inspection today, it's going to be a PITA to replace those tanks. I can't wait. I got most of the flybridge unscrewed (about 50 to 60 square bit stainless screws, full of paint, caulk, etc.) disconnected today. Another hour in the morning and I'll be ready for the forklift to lift it off.

If I had a trailer, I'd haul it home tomorrow night. I guess I'll wait for the professionals...That's great news about the ethanol issue. Make sure you mark everything in terms of placement as you disassemble that bridge. In fact, if you have a video camera, put it to use. Photo's will help too. Hopefully most if not everything is of the plug in variety where your electrical is concerned. Unfortunately, given the age of your boat, that probably won't be the case. I've done one bridge install where somebody else took everything off, and it was a PITA. I got everything hooked up and working, but I had lots of screws, nuts, and bolts leftover. Never could figure out where they came from as there were no empty holes.

Little story behind that. When I had the boat hauled to my marina, offloaded with the travel lift, and towed to the slip, a local guy obviously saw the routine which took place at dusk. As I was up top in the dog house reconnecting everything, these two good ole' boys came walking down the dock. According to the wife who overheard this conversation, one guy looked to the other and said, "That boat's been wrecked".

"Really?", replied his buddy, "How can you tell?"

"I saw that boat come in yesterday, and it was in two pieces. That boy's been trying to put it back together all day".

yachtsmanbill
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

If I had a trailer, I'd haul it home tomorrow night. I guess I'll wait for the professionals...

OUTSTANDING JOB CAP'n !!! Plus being a Hatteras newbie its always fun tryin; ta figger out how bubba did in North Caroliner. Do yourself and us a favor please; take lotsa pics. I can walk you through posting in a breeze! ws

http://i38.tinypic.com/2zs893a.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zwyk2u.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/x6ar7t.jpg
I really like the back bend on the tubing!

mkh8911
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Willy, were you standing on your head for that middle photo?

madhatter1
08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Glad he chose to ship it. I brought my 66 34 from CT to FL in 94 over the road. The bridge is very easy to remove as there are plugs on the factory wire harness and in the process of cutting and tagging the others you find most are abandoned and can be removed to clean things up.The bridge fits neatly into the cockpit facing forward. I have some good Cummins in my boat (1998) and would need at least 3K in mechanical work before I would run in water like that. Even with a 2-3 hour shake down you never know what an old unknown gasser will thow at you. A previous post figured 1 MPG which is too high. I got .7 (statute) with the original 440's and some 1992 new Mercruisers. Once home the OP will be all smiles as they use and upgrade this boat to it's former glory. It's a long process, mine should be done around 2030.

captddis
08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Glad he chose to ship it. I brought my 66 34 from CT to FL in 94 over the road. The bridge is very easy to remove as there are plugs on the factory wire harness and in the process of cutting and tagging the others you find most are abandoned and can be removed to clean things up.The bridge fits neatly into the cockpit facing forward. I have some good Cummins in my boat (1998) and would need at least 3K in mechanical work before I would run in water like that. Even with a 2-3 hour shake down you never know what an old unknown gasser will thow at you. A previous post figured 1 MPG which is too high. I got .7 (statute) with the original 440's and some 1992 new Mercruisers. Once home the OP will be all smiles as they use and upgrade this boat to it's former glory. It's a long process, mine should be done around 2030.

So I have a budget of 3K?

madhatter1
08-13-2010, 08:09 AM
If I could find the time and the money (at the same time) to take a long trip I would do like I did to my other boat before a trip. Replace every hose, fuel line, clamps, and other questionable items before they leave a perfectly good engine with no fuel or water. I would not want to get caught in rough seas or the Mississippi on one engine.

34Hatt
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
After closer inspection today, it's going to be a PITA to replace those tanks. I can't wait. ..

Guess you missed my post :)

Big question "IF"

Yours is a 1968 so most likely has the fiberglass cockpit. If those tanks need to be replaced it is no small task I know this because been there done it to a friends boat 1967 34C ;)

Guess I will have to get out the pictures just hope the deck is dry.
Any holes in the deck and is the ladder base tight and sealed to the deck or are all the screws lose?

So far she looks good does look like she was beat to death like mine was!
Good Luck.

Dan

MV Mystery
08-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Just thought some of you might get a kick out of this picture. The previous owner had my vessel shipped to Trinidad, rather than drive down. I guess it averaged out the same with fuel and other costs but the opportunity to visit all the islands on the way down frpm from Florida is once in a lifetime.
Don't think of the trip as a delivery. Enjoy the journey.

yachtsmanbill
08-14-2010, 11:43 PM

Any holes in the deck and is the ladder base tight and sealed to the deck or are all the screws lose?

Good Luck.

Dan

Hey dan... i specifically looked at the deck as per your description, and indeed is glassed in as a sealed unit. Seems like a better way to stay weather tight. There are metal plates over the fuel gages, and a few soft corners by the bulkhead/sliding doors. ws

http://i34.tinypic.com/24ycx9l.jpg

mkh8911
08-15-2010, 01:21 AM

Good Luck.

Dan

The ladder base is tight, no holes in the deck or loose screws. I finally got the flybridge ready to lift off. Slow going when you're standing on your head.

yachtsmanbill
08-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Kevin...did you ever get her home? ppat and ws

34Hatt
08-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Kevin...did you ever get her home? ppat and ws

It is suppose to be Today.

Willy soft spot near the door? Wondering how that got soft. Problem is when water gets in there it can run all the way to the stern though the balsa.

yachtsmanbill
08-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Thats cool... we took a spin by the yard on the way to the GLR and it was still nestled in amongst the other boats there. Hope all goes well... ws