PDA

View Full Version : cockpit deep freeze/fridge/ice box

rtrafford
09-13-2004, 12:32 AM
new for my 53c rebuild...

pulled the cockpit sole for ease of all of the replacement, refit to be done in the lazarette as well as to rebuild the stringer system with something more secure than what was existing...

mine had a live well in the small hatch center/forward of the cockpit. not fond of such things, i chose to remove/destroy it, clean up all aspects of the cockpit, restructure the deck support system, and then glass the deck back in. (of course i'm rebuilding the steering, refastening the stringers, modifying the exhaust, etc while she's open...)

we're building an ice box, fiberglass with roughly 3 inches of insulation and mounting it in the place of the live well. access will be through the small hatch in the deck. in construction we're wrapping roughly 100 feet of refer coil tube inbetween the glass and the foam, glassing it into place as we go. the box will be roughly 24 inches deep, and 30 by 36 or thereabouts.

we've been instructed to fasten these coil leads to a 1/4 hp refer system, plumb the box with a thermostat, and we'll have the capacity to dial her up or down to refrigerate, freeze, or shut it down and use it as an ice box, with a drain leading to the bilge. likely will use a self contained sump to exhaust the drippings.

i'm thinking we'll use a household unit to cool the system to avoid the use of yet another water source on board for heat exchanging. planning as of now to build a platform under the deck and mount it immediately aft of the new box.

had originally planned on simply building an ice box, later having the option of adding cold plates, but cold plates are often cumbersome in terms of cleanliness, and there was little way to add cold plates later on through the small deck opening!

i was told cold plates for such a box would run close to $2500, and our coil option, although costing more time in construction, cost us less than $100 plus the refer unit.

ideas, never have enough of them!

Bob Bradley
09-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Especially since I just spent $600 replacing the condensor and compressor unit in my cockpit bait freezer on my 43C. Unfortunately, with all the rules governing freon these days, you can't do the work yourself unless you're licensed or know someone licensed who trusts your work enough to complete the job.

skindr1999
09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Why invest megabucks to merely have a freezer in your cockpit? I had the original sink,tackle drawers,etc removed from the starboard side of the cockpit. Had a large cockpit box built out of lightweight material and then glassed over. Inside I installed a simple freezer (15cu.ft) which opens on the top,of course bought at Sears for under $300.oo. The freezer has a bottom plug which releases the water onto the deck when necessary.The freezer lasts about 5-6 yrs at which point I buy another one. I prefer the sears one because of the little light on top to tell me at a glance that it is operating. Looked into the other supposed "freezers designed for boats" and they were much smaller and ran from $2500 up. I question whether they would last longer than the one I bought for $300. Good luck

rtrafford
09-13-2004, 08:12 PM
not investing mega anything. the compressor i can purchase for under $100. the copper tubing was under $100. the fiberglass and gelcoat is "free" as i've got plenty from the rest of the overhaul project. the cockpit sole is out for reasons other than the icebox install. best of all, i still have my deck space for what i believe will be a built in sofa (with storage under) under the window facing aft, a la the 65 donzi.

i didn't spend any more money than you have, my box will never have to be thrown out or replaced, and the next unit i need will cost me less than $100 for a replacement compressor plus the freon and mechanic to set it up...and it'll still be out of the way.

there's an absolute ton of space under that deck. why not use it well?

skindr1999
09-14-2004, 11:46 AM
The only thing you forgot to factor in, unless you're able to do all the installation yourself, is the cost of labor. I've yet to have an electrician/a/c man leave my boat with a bill less than $300. I solved the sofa problem by placing a 6" thick cushion on top of the freezer box, easily removed when necessary. The box also has lots of room on one side to store whatever you need. I also still have the use of the baitwell which I use frequently.

rtrafford
09-15-2004, 01:17 AM
i wouldn't be taking on the project of this magnitude if not able to do much of the work myself.

different strokes...

34Hatt
09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
I think you Idea sounds great please post your results when it up and going.
Good Luck Dan

rtrafford
09-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Dan, this project is immense but highly rewarding thus far. it's wonderful to be able to take a great boat and make it better. modern conveniences with old fashion craftsmanship.

the new, one piece transom door was mounted yesterday, and the thruster tunnel was installed. today, i believe, the crew will prime the hull.