PDA

View Full Version : exhaust?

danshat
06-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The new engines require a 5" diameter exhaust. The holes in the transom are only 4". Do I need to change them out? The engine warranty is not valid if there is too much backpressure in the exhaust system so I want to make sure I do it right. If I run 5" hose and then step it down to 4" outlets will that work? Thanks guys.

REBrueckner
06-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Probably will not work, but the only way to know is via actual measurement...surely a 4" flange would void any engine warranty unless actually tested to be ok...Likely the engine manufactuer would know if you give them the length of your exhaust.

Jackman
06-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm surprised your exhaust is 4" at the back. My little 32'er has 5" stock from the factory...figured you would have at least the same. Anyhow I am guessing you's have to goto at least 5" at the back...putting the 4" at the end would not work because the back pressure in this case would be based on the smallest diameter of pipe you have in the run. Even if it was close and the system was perfect don't forget the hose also has water running through it (probably more with this diesel) which effectively reduces the diameter of the hose that the exhaust gas would travel through over the water that runs through it...as well as everytime there is a bend/turn in the exhaust run the backpressure is raised as well.

Let me know what you need for your job. I may have some extra stuff left over from my repower (5" fittings and some hose...ect) that I could let go for a good price. I also have a length of 2" wire reinforced corrogated hose for the 2" intakes you probably need. Let me know what you need and I'll see what I have left. Some of the stuff still has the wrapper on it like the 2" hose for instance. jrs8818@msn.com

Good luck...Its a labor of love and you've picked one of the hottest years to go through with this!! Wish I was close enough to help. I had fun doing it.

danshat
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
sent you an email. I'm definately interested.