PDA

View Full Version : Quali-Tech Marine Rollers...no tipping

ryanwetzel
06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Just saw these in another post. Any experience? Is there a god that will allow me to avoid tipping?!

rsmith
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Just saw these in another post. Any experience? Is there a god that will allow me to avoid tipping?!

Great job hatt's off from another 50 owner

ryanwetzel
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Interesting. Would you suggest a place to purchase these miracle workers?

rsmith
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
this is a pretty good paint wright up my wife bought some of the rollers at the local paint store. yes depot and lowes havent put them out of biz yet but their close.

http://www.kirby25.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:painting-the-deck-of-chiripa&catid=20:articles&Itemid=22

ryanwetzel
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Very good! This will be hugely helpful.

Capt. Tobb
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Ryan, are you not able to spray because of the rules there? I just did my cockpit and spraying was much easier than I thought it would be. Just a thought... Nice work too...

ryanwetzel
06-08-2010, 11:50 AM
No go with the spray. Could do it, but the thing would need to be completely tented off and not worth the trouble.

bobk
06-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I painted my 41' trawler with Algrip years ago so I'll offer some thoughts. First, priming with 545 with a roller or brush is very difficult. The stuff tacks up too fast to get nice results even with extra thinner. However it might not be necessary to prime the whole area, just the patches and that can be done nicely with a 'Prevail' spray bottle.

Years ago, we used Wooster candy stripe rollers and I still like them if you first remove the loose fuzz. But a better approach is to use the the white 'hot dog' rollers sold by the box at Home Depot. Tipping is best done with a good badger hair brush, but if you add just a little extra solvent, you can avoid the need to tip, except perhaps in some tight places. If you do tip, do it in the direction that the rain drops will run if possible.

Blue 3M masking tape works well, but it is thick so will leave a thick edge. 3M fine line tape also works well and reduces the thickness of the edge. The narrower sizes of fine line can be made to follow a flat curve if you are careful. That's hard to do with blue tape. If you need to leave tape down for a very long time, use 3M Preservation tape. It will stick well, waterproof and can be removed six months later.

Bob