PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change pump went TU

bobk
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a 120 volt Jabsco oil change impeller pump with garden hose ends mounted next to the fuel manifold. Oil leaked into the motor and it's smoking. Any thoughts on a replacement pump? I can't find a direct replacement, most of the small pumps are 12V.

Bob Kassal
Chateau de Mer
1981 48MY
Lying Baltimore Yacht Club

mobilemn1
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Bob, buy a can of electrical contact cleaner, spray can, and spray the motor down real good inside and out if you can, this may eliminate the oil residue in the motor, let it dry and retry before you startt buying the new pump. You may be surprised at the results.

MikeP
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
If it's like mine, it's just a fairly standard elec motor. Should be easily available if you can't fix it.

If it won't turn, the standard first fix attempt is to Malletize it (hit it a couple of times with a heavy rubber or rawhide hammer). It's amazing how many elec motors will start running after malletizing. But if it works, it's still best to pull it apart and clean lube the bearings or install new ones...

I must give credit to SeaEric re "Malletizing." I knew about wailing on a non-running motor with a hammer but I was not aware it had an elegant procedural term until he told me. ;)

bobk
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
The motor turns fine, just produces a fine oil 'smoke' when it does. I'll disassemble tomorrow and clean it and see what happens.

Bob

MikeP
05-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Roger that! I suspect it will be fine, oil leaking into it shouldn't cause any damage at all on its own.

luckydave215
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
The correct technical term is "Percussive Maintainance" AKA the "Fonzarelli Touch"

MikeP
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
That's a good one too. Both are far better than the term I was familiar with from my beginning mech days, "Hit it with a F@#&ing hammer."

lumina
05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

Ours went "TU" just recently as well.

Was leaking oil during changes, pump would seize up etc.

It was several years old so we decided to go with a new one.

It's proven to be clean, effecient, quick etc. Easy to remove the spent oil and with the flip of a switch transfer the new oil.

Here's the site.

http://www.oceanelectronics.com/33474.html

MikeP
05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
It shows it to be a 12v pump; does a 12v pump have enough power (or do the batteries) to pump cold 40 wt oil?

MicroKap
05-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I have an Oberdorfer that I think could suck the oil out of the pan if it were frozen. It's a little loud, but does not have the wear pieces (impeller) like the reverso or jabsco units. I would recommend it highly. Six years since I got the boat and it has been working flawlessly.

saltshaker
05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
The correct technical term is "Percussive Maintainance" AKA the "Fonzarelli Touch"
And the proper tool is called a percussive speed wrench, not a hammer or mallet:)

luckydave215
05-28-2010, 11:03 AM
My oil change pump is a 110v 1/2 hp motor with a gear pump bolted to the end, it came from Grainger.
It's a fairly small volume pump so it's not blazing fast, but I think it will pump frozen concrete mixed with crescent wrenches.

MikeP
05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I have one that sounds like the same setup but it won't pump cold oil - the gear pump just cavitates. It will pump oil OUT if the engines or preheaters have been run but it will not move cold oil from a 5 gal pail back into the engine

GJH
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
32 volt Oberdorfer gear pump I got from Depco. I already had a basic manifold so just got a reversible ump and wired up a toggle switch accordingly. Sucks up about anything, but to make things go faster I sit my 5 gallon buckets of new oil on top of the engines overnight after taking the boat for a run... or occasionally when that is not the case, with the block heaters on.

Not to highjack the thread, but any one know a good source for these little manifolds? I'd like to hook the transmissions up too.

lumina
05-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Mike,

Yes, the 12V pump is plenty strong enough to handle the job. I considered going with a 110V but what we had in there was 12V so I stayed with that.

bobk
05-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Bob, buy a can of electrical contact cleaner, spray can, and spray the motor down real good inside and out if you can, this may eliminate the oil residue in the motor, let it dry and retry before you startt buying the new pump. You may be surprised at the results.

Daryl, thanks for the tip. I used a full can of contact cleaner and reassembled and tried the motor but still had smoke.... and some more oil ran out. So I took it apart again and used low odor mineral spirits, squirted all over everything and blotted dry. Assembled a few minutes ago and tested it and all seems OK. We'll find out at the next oil change.

Bob Kassal
Chateau de Mer
1981 48MY

Paul45c
06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I have an Oberdorfer that I think could suck the oil out of the pan if it were frozen. It's a little loud, but does not have the wear pieces (impeller) like the reverso or jabsco units. I would recommend it highly. Six years since I got the boat and it has been working flawlessly.Ditto that, and mine's a/c powered and set up on a removable platform with quick-disconnects for the mains and gears. Very strong, quite quick, and easy to pack the bulky thing away when it's done its work.