PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Excess Condensation

Dustoff44
09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
I have a 58 YF ( basically a 53 MY with a cockpit ) all four a/c units cool very well but after running for about two hours they start spraying condensed water or leaking underneath the drain pan. The drain lines seem to be stopped up. Does anyone know the routing of the different lines Etc. and how can they be unclogged..thanx

PascalG
09-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I had 2 of them clogging up... I disconnected them and just blew thru the line to force the dirt out.

one didn't have enough slope, so dirt woudln't just acumulate... the other one (master sr)had a dip where dirt also piled up...

the hard thing is to reach the pan drain :-(

pascal
1970 53 my

jim rosenthal
09-18-2004, 01:31 AM
..this seems to happen a lot. I think dust and stuff that goes through the blower settles in the drain pan and clogs things up. Here's what I do...I disconnect the drain hose at the pan and push a piece of 6 or 4 gauge wire through it. There is always water in the hose. You end up with a clot of stuff falling out the end of the hose. If you can find the end, park a towel or whatever under it to catch whatever comes out of the hose. This needs done yearly. The hoses drain into the bilge on my boat, but I have also heard of them being hooked into the sink drains so the condensate goes directly overboard.
If I ever own a boat that big, I am going to have a modern chilled-water system put in. If you think about it, multiple separate systems provides a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong.

BEC53
09-18-2004, 10:23 AM
All of my a/c pans drain to the shower pump sump boxes which have auto float switches on them. You may be able to get to that end of the hose easier to blow it out.

garyd
09-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I had the same problem and looked at it from a design point of view. Hatteras isn't necessarily mater plumbers. The major design issue has to be allowing the drain water to flow all the time even if there is dirt/lint/bugs etc.

So if you look at your house plumbing system you have the drain but you also have a vent. Therefore I made a mini vent for the a/c drain line. The problem instantly went away never to return.

Constantly running water will actually help keep the drain lines open.

This is a quick fix. Find a spot about halfway between the drain pan and the discharge and install a vent. Just follow the same system design as your house has, no need to reinvent the wheel cause it works.

This also takes care of drain problem related to the boat not having the exact same stance all the time. Checking and blowing out a/c drain lines is a thing of the past.

Good luck garyd.

eze2bme
09-18-2004, 08:33 PM
I have a '79 43DC ... two of my units (salon and forward cabin) drain overboard while the master stateroom unit drains into the aft shower sump. Check the drawings on your Hat ... my drawing showing the thru-hull fittings indicates the two condensate line overboard drains.

rtrafford
09-18-2004, 09:12 PM
older ac evaporators were ill designed int he amount of clearance they allowed between the bottom of the coils and the top of the pan floor. one particularly troubling one that i had encouraged me to remove it, customize some brackets to raise the mount roughly an inch higher, then reinstall.

never, ever gave me a problem again. regardless of what you do to your hoses, if this is the source of the problem (or even a significant contributor) the steps to correct it are well worth the trouble.