PDA

View Full Version : 43C questions..economy, problems etc.

hibanx
03-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I am looking at a 1979 43C with the DD 6V92's at 450 H.P. Can anyone give me real world numbers for fuel burn @ various RPM's and associated speed and range? Any other tips, info, things to look out for would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Bob Bradley
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I have same year, same boat, although I was told my 6v92s are 435hp each. I just installed floscans last season, and with an admittedly dirty bottom, I burn about 35 - 40 total gph at cruise (around 2050rpm), which is an honest 17 kts. BTW, my bottom has 2+ seasons on it in CT waters. When I put her on the pins (2300rpm), my consumption jumps to somewhere north of 50gph (don't spend much time there, and don't recall exactly), and I get her up to the 19.5 - 20kt range.

I got lucky 7 or 8 years ago when I bought her as she was lightly used, with only around 850 original hours on her. I have been very happy with the boat. My only complaint is the range. With a 495 gallon capacity, I need to carry extra fuel in a bladder to feel comfortable about a canyon overnighter from Montauk.

As far as seakeeping, I got caught 60 miles out last Labor Day in 30+kt Northeast winds. Seas built to a steady 15+' with the tops blowing off them, and an occasional 20 footer mixed in for good measure. Not once did the boat ever feel the least bit squirrely, and I made the cruise back to Montauk quartering them at a solid 16 kts (well, ok 13kts up the hill and 19 kts back down the other side).

Do I wish she were 45'? Of course. That extra 2' of cockpit would be great when fishing. That said, I am extremely pleased with the boat overall.

If you are anywhere near CT, I'd be happy to give you a tour.
Bob

hibanx
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks Bob,

435 H.P. is correct, typo on my part. That's good info. I was concerned with the range as well. Conservatively it looks like 200nm max. I am in Florida, so I'll have to take a rain check on the tour. Have you found any structural problems, rot etc?

hibanx
03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
I have another question for the 43c owners out there. Does anyone have, or know where I can find a copy of the blueprints for this boat? I am concerned about the draft at my dock. I live on a canal that is about 6' deep at low tide, no problem there. The problem is that along side my dock the bottom rises up to about 3.5'. I specifically need to know the boats draft at the propellers, and the distance from the centerline to the shaft. I am not too concerned about the draft at the centerline because 7 feet out from the dock (where the keel will sit) there is plenty of water.

Bob Bradley
03-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Draft is 4' 6". I believe that the props are the deepest point on the bottom. Shaft to shaft measurement is 67" on center, so each shaft is approx 33-1/2" out from the keel. Given all that, and the fact that the beam is 14' 6", that means that the center of the shaft is approx 4-1/2' inboard of the widest point of the boat. (14'6"/2=7'3" - 33-1/2")

BTW, The shaft struts are approx 3' inboard of the chines.

hibanx
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you again Bob, thats exactly what I needed to know.

Jaxfishgyd
03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
When I cruise between 8-9kts I use 6-7 gph. Anything over "hull speed" and your gph zoom way up. I didn't buy my 43' to go fast anyway........