PDA

View Full Version : Spray rails on 75'CPMY ?

surfshark
12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Our 2002 Hatteras 75' CPMY is sadly one of the wettest Hatterases I have ever cruised . Has anyone ever installed additional spray rails on the bow waterline area on these new generation hulls ? I heard a rumor that this hull was discontinued because it was so wet but i'm sure this is false. If I can't address this problem soon i'm actually thinking of listing her and move to a different hull form . I will either be shopping at the Miami Boat Show or just save my money and buy a better foul weather jacket.

ThirdHatt
12-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Wow, I had not heard that these hulls were wet. I have been doing an incredible amount of research on boats in this size range these last many months and for a time thought that my next boat would be a 1998-2002 Hatteras 74/75. I have heard nothing but great things about this new hull design that just came out in 1996 because it is quite efficient and has great speed.

We eventually decided not to go with a Hatteras 74/75 really just because of the lack of full walkaround side decks, the smallish aft deck and fairly narrow beam. I also prefer a design with exterior engine room access so that there is never any oil, dirty shoes or dirty parts being carried through the interior of the boat. These are the last of the somewhat "Classic" looking motoryachts before they started to look too swoopy/euro for my tastes. Speaking of which, you may find it diffucult to find another boat that will compete with your Hatteras 75 because it really is a ton of boat for the money. The only competition in that size and price range is the Lazzara, and I personally think the Hatteras is a better looking boat, has a nicer interior and has a higher build quality.

If the boat really works for you other than the wet ride, I think your thoughts of adding more and/or larger spray rails should solve much if not all of your wet ride issue. I would call Roger Whetherington at Jarret Bay and see what his opinion is on the subject. He has vast experience with these boats and may have a solution for you.

Good Luck!

rwetherington
12-29-2009, 11:05 AM
give me a call to talk about the wetness problem that you are having. I ran a 75SD which is the same boat for a customer on the weekends for two years.

REBrueckner
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Spray rails generally help suppress airborne water until a wave or waves rises along the hull above the sprayrail...then the water takes its normal course and rises as spray. I used them on my 1972 48 YF for 10 knot cruising and they helped in calm water...but once the breeze picked up and waves got a bit higher, say only 15" to 18", they could easily rise as spray. The annoying this is that just a single wave can cause spray all over and that alone requires a wash or rinse down if you don't want to peer thru salt encrusted windows....so it's very difficult to keep a boat really clean and dry with a spray rail.

Solid PVC sprayrails seem to be a permanent low maintenance addition, bend to most hull contours easily, and can be screwed with 5200 from the outside so it's not a huge job.

Red Hatt
12-29-2009, 04:24 PM
My Dad had a 2001 75 and we loved the boat and only sold it because of health issue's. The boat is wet but if you keep the two fuel tanks aleast half empty. Better than that only have about 50.gal. in them and the boat rides better and alot less spray. The forward tanks are used for each generator so thay don't use much fuel. The back deck was small but we entertaned alot on the Bridge of the boat . There was always a breeze up their and great views. They are great boats his was fast and very smooth. WISH HE STILL HAD THE BOAT. You don't know what you have until it's gone.